Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Those With Tein S-Techs, Eibach 250, F-Sport: Do You Scrape on Speed Bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 11:39 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tfz_hebe89
what if you have a beefy front lip?. I have my lx-mode front lip and NO drop, and the ground clearance is the same as projectdna's car with GFX front lip and s-tech drop. I compared it during the EOS meet. my car and projectdna's car were side by side so I could see a good comparison.

conclusion from me: no body kit + s-tech = no problem over speed bumps. going up ramps, becareful though. do it at an angle.

beefy front lip + s-tech = must be at an angle going over anything, anything means speed bumps, going up ramps, etc etc.
Well your lx-mode lip is an exception heh. Here is a pic with the gfx and s-techs.
Old 10-14-08, 11:50 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gc86
Well your lx-mode lip is an exception heh. Here is a pic with the gfx and s-techs.
that's how low my lx-mode sits too.. can you measure how many inches the ground clearance? mine with lx-mode + NO drop and 18"stock wheel = 5.25 inches from the ground (measured from the center of the lip). I bet your stech + gfx lip measures the same
Old 10-15-08, 01:37 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

<<< i scrape i have front GFX kit, coz have an x pack it comes with it...I only scrape on my GF's driveway...not that bad though...i still use caution with speed bump and little dips..coz i still have oem shocks...mike (passnu2) projectdna, and myself have S-tech...so there...
Old 10-15-08, 11:33 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the F-Sport springs and am on 19's no front lip and dont scrape at all. But we will see if that changes once i get the GFX front lip.
Old 10-17-08, 11:47 AM
sjava
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by S to the K
I'm contemplating which springs to get for my IS350. I've narrowed it down to:

1) Tein S-tech
2) Eibach for IS250
3) F-Sport
What is the life expectancy of stock shocks with these 3 springs? I don't like the hassle and the price of replacing the shocks. I'd rather go with coilovers if that's the case.
Old 10-18-08, 10:07 AM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjava
What is the life expectancy of stock shocks with these 3 springs? I don't like the hassle and the price of replacing the shocks. I'd rather go with coilovers if that's the case.
i would also like to know this...
Old 10-18-08, 11:05 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
when you lower your car you will just learn what to do and where to do it. Like projectdna said you are more cautious in some areas. Its the chance you take lowering any car! These springs are perfect for the IS!! Listen to what projectdna has to say about them. I was happier with the ride in the IS lowered then I am in the GS.

by the way projectdna how many threads are there for the TeinS now?
i lost count. tein owes me a big fat endorsement check. don't you too? j/k.

so i see you went w/ the 3gs. nice weapon of choice. when did that happen? /OT

what if you have a beefy front lip?. I have my lx-mode front lip and NO drop, and the ground clearance is the same as projectdna's car with GFX front lip and s-tech drop. I compared it during the EOS meet. my car and projectdna's car were side by side so I could see a good comparison.

conclusion from me: no body kit + s-tech = no problem over speed bumps. going up ramps, becareful though. do it at an angle.

beefy front lip + s-tech = must be at an angle going over anything, anything means speed bumps, going up ramps, etc etc.
+1.

if anything, i was surprised that the bottom of his lx-mode front lip was as low as my gfx front lip, even though i'm on s-techs and he's on stock springs.

speaking of which, have you decided what you're going to do?

Originally Posted by sjava
Originally Posted by i3urton
i would also like to know this...
i don't know how much longer i have on my stock shocks, but i've been on s-techs for 15 months and counting without shock failure.
Old 10-18-08, 02:19 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Lowered on Eibachs FTW! Eibach provide a mild drop, and they are better in price/performance compared to the F-Sport springs. If you want your drop to be more noticable, go with the Teins.
Old 10-18-08, 02:40 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

agree, i have ING's front lip, and i have to go an angle for everything. if you have a 19" you will be better, but if you have a 17" it's going to be soo low that so easy to scraping....
Old 10-18-08, 03:14 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Little E
Lowered on Eibachs FTW! Eibach provide a mild drop, and they are better in price/performance compared to the F-Sport springs. If you want your drop to be more noticable, go with the Teins.
don't know why..the teins said the S-tech drops 1.6" for the front and 1.4" for the rear, but it's funny that the rear has no gap, but the front is still have a gap...
Old 10-18-08, 10:27 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i've only scrapped like 2 times on f-sport, and i have the fab front lip, but that's when i wasn't careful, but usually i have no problems
Old 10-19-08, 12:17 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by love67
don't know why..the teins said the S-tech drops 1.6" for the front and 1.4" for the rear, but it's funny that the rear has no gap, but the front is still have a gap...

, should've made front 1.8 and I think rear should've been 1.2-1.3
Old 10-19-08, 12:37 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

I'm on 19" S-tech GFX... no scapes nothing.. X-pack... wonder why u guys scrape.... that much
Old 10-19-08, 06:46 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 600rr05
I got the F-Sport springs and am on 19's no front lip and dont scrape at all. But we will see if that changes once i get the GFX front lip.
The GFX lip is not taller than stock.

If the front was lower, the front end would be WAY too low. You would be scraping everywhere. Not practical. Also, I think it would put too much stress on the stock shocks. Buy coils if you want to go low low.
Old 10-19-08, 08:04 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i noticed you have an awd 2is... it's possible the front gap is more noticeable because of the awd system. but that's just a guess.

Originally Posted by yayitscola
, should've made front 1.8 and I think rear should've been 1.2-1.3
then you'd end up throwing off the balance of the car. just because aftermarket springs lower the ride height of the car, they have to at the very least maintain the same (or nearly the same) balance/weight bias of the car. otherwise, it will lead to unsafe/unpredictable handling characteristics, uneven tire wear, or even unpredictable premature suspension failure. these aftermarket springs manufacturers have spent countless hours of research and development to make sure stuff like that doesn't happen; that's why these springs "only lower" that much and only that much.

Originally Posted by VikH
If the front was lower, the front end would be WAY too low. You would be scraping everywhere. Not practical. Also, I think it would put too much stress on the stock shocks. Buy coils if you want to go low low.
+1.

Quick Reply: Those With Tein S-Techs, Eibach 250, F-Sport: Do You Scrape on Speed Bumps?