Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Those With Tein S-Techs, Eibach 250, F-Sport: Do You Scrape on Speed Bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 12:07 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those With Tein S-Techs, Eibach 250, F-Sport: Do You Scrape on Speed Bumps?

I'm contemplating which springs to get for my IS350. I've narrowed it down to:

1) Tein S-tech
2) Eibach for IS250
3) F-Sport

I've owned other cars where a low drop is what I wanted, but I did not enjoy having to take speed bumps and other road hazards at an angle in order to prevent any type of scraping or touching to the front and middle of the car. My last vehicle had Eibach Pro-kits and on that vehicle, I had no scraping whatsoever. Do any of these springs do this to the IS350?

I understand the F-Sport Springs have a modest drop and from looking at pictures from several members on here, the rears look fine but the front seems a little high. But with a higher front end, they probably do not scrape a nearly as much or none at all.

I want my car to be a daily driver and not have to worry about issues with speed bumps and things of that nature. Especially with 4 occupants in the vehicle. Are any of you all scraping with the springs above in any real world driving experience & encounters, especially with passengers??

Last edited by S to the K; 10-14-08 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 04:12 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my S-Techs for a while now and I frequently have 4 passengers with no issues... im on the stock wheels btw.
Old 10-14-08, 04:15 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i've been on s-techs for 15 months and counting, and though i don't have four passengers frequently i don't scrape. however, i am more cautious when it comes to driveways and speed bumps...
Old 10-14-08, 04:29 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gc86
I've had my S-Techs for a while now and I frequently have 4 passengers with no issues... im on the stock wheels btw.
wow your sig pic, lights are bright...what kind are they? You don't get pulled over?!?!

im going to install my tein s-techs this friday : D
Old 10-14-08, 07:49 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been on F-Sport springs for about 6 months and no scraping.

yayitscola, I want to see your car after you drop it with the S-Techs. Next meet?
Old 10-14-08, 08:17 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pisaykotik

yayitscola, I want to see your car after you drop it with the S-Techs. Next meet?
Hahaha sure thing

-Colan
Old 10-14-08, 08:24 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by projectdna
i've been on s-techs for 15 months and counting, and though i don't have four passengers frequently i don't scrape. however, i am more cautious when it comes to driveways and speed bumps...
So are you saying that in shopping center speed bumps, for example, you would scrape if you take it straight on driving by yourself? That's what I figured w/ the S-Techs. They sit low enough to do this. Are you having the same issue w/ steep driveways too?

I suspect the F-Sports do not have this issue since they are much higher in the front.
Old 10-14-08, 08:26 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pisaykotik

No scraping on driveways including with passengers as well? How about driveways?

Last edited by S to the K; 10-14-08 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 08:27 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Can you take shopping center speed bumps head on with passengers without hesitating?

Last edited by S to the K; 10-14-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 08:34 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S to the K
Can you take speed bumps head on with passengers without hesitating?
Depends what you mean head on... i've learned to drive over speed bumps at a low speed with all cars just for the sake of having my shocks last, unless im in my dads truck than I just plow over them. I've had quite a few lowered cars so im used to entering driveways at a angle or taking my time over any type of speed bumps.

And I used generic 4 led bulbs for the city lights, they don't look that blue in person and no problems yet with the cops. I have to admit they dont stand out that much with my 8k hids on though.
Old 10-14-08, 08:41 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Depends what you mean head on... i've learned to drive over speed bumps at a low speed with all cars just for the sake of having my shocks last, unless im in my dads truck than I just plow over them. I've had quite a few lowered cars so im used to entering driveways at a angle or taking my time over any type of speed bumps.

And I used generic 4 led bulbs for the city lights, they don't look that blue in person and no problems yet with the cops. I have to admit they dont stand out that much with my 8k hids on though.
Yeah, I meant head on as in without going at an angle, obviously at a very slow speed when going over. I just don't want to have to take angles with passengers. Taking a speed bump like you normally very slowly, can you negotiate it without worrying about scraping with passengers?
Old 10-14-08, 08:41 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So are you saying that in shopping center speed bumps, for example, you would scrape if you take it straight on driving by yourself? That's what I figured w/ the S-Techs. They sit low enough to do this. Are you having the same issue w/ steep driveways too?

I suspect the F-Sports do not have this issue since they are much higher in the front.
allow me to clarify myself...

to repeat, i said that "i am more cautious when it comes to driveways and speed bumps..." what i meant by saying that is that i am cautious when driving in an area that has speed bumps, driveways, dips, etc.

the s-techs are lower than the f-sports, but not as low as most have been lead to believe. i can take just about most speed bumps and dips head on, but i still have to take driveways - entry and exit - at an angle. so as common practice from force of habit, i take speed bumps and dips at an angle - as long as i'm not holding up traffic.
Old 10-14-08, 08:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

when you lower your car you will just learn what to do and where to do it. Like projectdna said you are more cautious in some areas. Its the chance you take lowering any car! These springs are perfect for the IS!! Listen to what projectdna has to say about them. I was happier with the ride in the IS lowered then I am in the GS.

by the way projectdna how many threads are there for the TeinS now?
Old 10-14-08, 08:56 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I meant head on as in without going at an angle, obviously at a very slow speed when going over. I just don't want to have to take angles with passengers. Taking a speed bump like you normally very slowly, can you negotiate it without worrying about scraping with passengers?
4 passengers going over speed bumps head on at a low speed is not a problem. When I get home from school i'll post some ground clearance pics... any springs on an IS are not even considered a dramatic drop and you shouldn't even worry about speed bumps or driveways if you take care.
Old 10-14-08, 09:02 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 passengers going over speed bumps head on at a low speed is not a problem. When I get home from school i'll post some ground clearance pics... any springs on an IS are not even considered a dramatic drop and you shouldn't even worry about speed bumps or driveways if you take care.
what if you have a beefy front lip?. I have my lx-mode front lip and NO drop, and the ground clearance is the same as projectdna's car with GFX front lip and s-tech drop. I compared it during the EOS meet. my car and projectdna's car were side by side so I could see a good comparison.

conclusion from me: no body kit + s-tech = no problem over speed bumps. going up ramps, becareful though. do it at an angle.

beefy front lip + s-tech = must be at an angle going over anything, anything means speed bumps, going up ramps, etc etc.

Quick Reply: Those With Tein S-Techs, Eibach 250, F-Sport: Do You Scrape on Speed Bumps?