Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

to those with dropped cars..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 06:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kaydee
looks > comfort
A trade-off some want to avoid.
Old 12-03-08, 01:46 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Big *****
Just buy a nice set of coil overs, they will give it a sportier look and feel, they are affordable, and if you don't like it just return it to stock , not much lost. I havn't heard many complaints after people have dropped the car.
sounds to me like you got some deep pockets lol, $1500+ is not affordable for me, i come from civics, where you can get best quility shocks and coilovers for under $800 :P

also finding out the ground effect kit i want is $1300 more than the one i paid for my civic :P
but anyway, theres still some questions that have not been answered,
im with Gus738, i care mostly how the car will feel, its a luxary car, and i would like it to feel smooth, without feeling every bump in the road.

I'm trying to get away from all the bad stuff i hate about civics, feeling every bump in the road, no power steering, no a/c, no power windows/locks, etc etc..

so what's best for smoother ride? im guessing its solely based upon spring rate right?
also it seems like most of you prefer coilovers, just because you end up wanting to go lower? any other reasons, why you prefer over springs?

thanks for all the recommendations on coilovers
but can i get some feedback on springs?
and whats a good drop if wanted 1/2" space between wheels and fender and were on 245/35/19's
Old 12-17-08, 09:38 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Bump!
still some unanswered questions i would like to know from this subjuect.
would like to buy springs simply cause they are alot cheaper than coilovers, but 100% of you and all other threads i search, you guys say "just buy the coilovers".. no real answers on why.

i will not be changing nor want to be changing ride height once i get it where i want.
how much are spring going for? as well as coilovers?
what drop would give about 1/2" space between fenders and wheel with 235/35/19's or 25.5" diameter tire.

or better yet do we have a ultimate springs/wheels/pics thread for ISX50 like this one https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...hlight=springs
Old 12-17-08, 10:31 PM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although you might think that you won't adjust your ride height anymore... i do still think that you should get coils if you are within your budget.. it simply allows you to get the "perfect drop" with springs.. you have to be content with what you get out of it.... so far... although i'm dropped on springs... i am thinking to get coils in the future... thats what i really feel though... as far as the comfort.... you should get your answers by now.... springs go from 150+ to about 300 dpending on brands.. and your connection.... as far as coils are concerned... so far... i se nothing below 850 shipped.... rarely i do get below that for a new piece... try searching the classifieds..
Old 12-17-08, 11:58 PM
jonjon83
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude trust me u sud get coilovers, save time and in the end u will want them...ur rollin in a 350 buddy no more civic..ante up ur game
Old 12-18-08, 12:01 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regret buying springs, I'm on my 2nd month and I'm thinking of getting coils soon already
Old 12-18-08, 12:13 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350LOVER
Bump!
still some unanswered questions i would like to know from this subjuect.
would like to buy springs simply cause they are alot cheaper than coilovers, but 100% of you and all other threads i search, you guys say "just buy the coilovers".. no real answers on why.

i will not be changing nor want to be changing ride height once i get it where i want.
how much are spring going for? as well as coilovers?
what drop would give about 1/2" space between fenders and wheel with 235/35/19's or 25.5" diameter tire.

or better yet do we have a ultimate springs/wheels/pics thread for ISX50 like this one https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...hlight=springs
aftermarket springs are going for ~$200. f-sport springs are slightly more expensive. if you're looking for a mild drop (0.5"), f-sport springs or eibach pro-kits is what you're looking for. tein s-techs and h&r springs will probably be too aggressive for your taste (1"+).

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
although you might think that you won't adjust your ride height anymore... i do still think that you should get coils if you are within your budget.. it simply allows you to get the "perfect drop" with springs.. you have to be content with what you get out of it.... so far... although i'm dropped on springs... i am thinking to get coils in the future... thats what i really feel though... as far as the comfort.... you should get your answers by now.... springs go from 150+ to about 300 dpending on brands.. and your connection.... as far as coils are concerned... so far... i se nothing below 850 shipped.... rarely i do get below that for a new piece... try searching the classifieds..
IMO the only two reasons i see for getting coilovers are 1. the ability to adjust the ride height, and 2. if possible, the ability to adjust the dampening rate. while all coilovers can do #1, not all can do #2 - especially entry-level coilovers. even if entry-level coilovers are within your budget, you will find that the fixed dampening rate on coilover shocks may or may not suit your needs as a daily driver. you'll just end up spending more money for better coilovers w/ more adjustability.

i'm not saying that the OP should not get coilovers; if he has the budget to shell out some money for a set of nice coilovers that offer both ride height and dampening adjustability, then he should do that. what i AM saying is that he shouldn't cheap out and get some entry-level, basic coilovers that are only good for ride height adjustment.

don't buy something just because everyone else is buying it. buy something that you feel will get the most out of your money. for me - and for many other 2is owners, it was a set of springs.

Originally Posted by jonjon83
dude trust me u sud get coilovers, save time and in the end u will want them...ur rollin in a 350 buddy no more civic..ante up ur game
what are you trying to say? that 2is owners who chose to run springs instead of coilovers are cheap-asses?

don't be a fanboy and just tell him to get coilovers because "u will want them". if you think he should get coilovers, tell him to get coilovers for all the RIGHT reasons.
Old 12-18-08, 12:14 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I regret buying springs, I'm on my 2nd month and I'm thinking of getting coils soon already
and i hope you're getting them for all the right reasons.
Old 12-18-08, 01:00 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acefalcon2
i do still think that you should get coils if you are within your budget.. it simply allows you to get the "perfect drop" with springs.. you have to be content with what you get out of it.... so far... although i'm dropped on springs... i am thinking to get coils in the future...
i would rather have springs IF i new it would give me the perfect drop im looking for.
I do have a budget, and i would rather go with a bit cheaper suspension, and spend the the rest on some nice rims..
may i ask the reason you are thinking of changing over to coilovers?

I think if i can find a thread wich i requested, then im sure i will find a car on springs with the perfect drop for me. pictures will give me alot better idea than how it sounds on paper.
I know theres a thread out there for ISx50 like the one for the GS

and thanks to the rest of you for your help