Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review: F-Sport Springs/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 04:20 PM
gtr02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Don't bother with the spring change, F-Sports are same springs as Eibach 350's.
ah shucks, so how does Lexus fix the tire wear on their f-sport springs?
Old 11-23-10, 05:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gtr02
ah shucks, so how does Lexus fix the tire wear on their f-sport springs?
Find an experienced shop that does alignment in your area, most likely won't be a dealership.
Old 11-29-10, 08:37 AM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

n00b here. We just picked up an 08 IS250 for my wife. I was looking at doing the F springs but, of course, have a few questions.

Are different shocks required? I realize that the F shocks will provide better performance however this car will be driven by my wife 99% of the time and suspension "performance" is not too high on her list. If the stock shocks provide a better (smoother) ride, I'd rather stick we those.

Alignment/tire wear. I would assume that since these are OEM springs, that the car can be aligned properly? I have a bagged vehicle at home and don't want to have to worry about another vehicle that has camber issues.

Spring clunk noise? I believe I've read about some sort of clunk noise that comes with the F springs? Is this correct? I also thought I read somewhere that Lexus has developed a new F spring that eliminates the noise? I can't seem to find this info again so maybe I was dreaming it. If true however, how do I know what the "upgraded" spring is when purchasing it vs the old type?
Old 11-30-10, 02:32 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

nah you should keep it stock if you want ride confort. Dropping it on springs will give your wife headache if you drive over bumpy road. Even roads that you never thought were bumpy before.
Old 11-30-10, 03:40 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial_K
nah you should keep it stock if you want ride confort. Dropping it on springs will give your wife headache if you drive over bumpy road. Even roads that you never thought were bumpy before.
+1, and your wife will scrap the front lower bumper much easier when parking the car
Old 11-30-10, 05:10 PM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. However, if we were to do the springs, what about the shocks? Can I use the stock shocks? And the camber/alignment. No problems with aligning it on F springs?
Old 12-04-10, 11:37 AM
is350wh
Driver

I have had the F-Sport Springs with the stock non-sport shocks for well over a year. I wish I would either put both the springs and shocks on or just kept it stock. The springs alone are "OK", but the ride is harsh (sometimes, very bad) over major road irregularities and the handling is not that great (too bouncy). Plus, I came to find out from the dealer that the diameter of the F-Sport springs is smaller than the stock springs. Well, the problem is that the F-Sport springs sit on the stock perch, which I "think" is just a little too large for the springs. I think this is the source of many many bad popping and unseating type of noises I have heard over and over. NOTE: The F-Sport Shocks (Bilsteins) come with a dedicated spring perch that is part of the shock. I believe that perch is there for the reason I'm describing above. My disclaimer is that I have not received a formal confirmation of this info, so I may be wrong. I am getting ready to install new F-Sport Springs and Shocks, so I am hoping that will finally fix my problems.
Old 12-04-10, 02:09 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll be pleasantly surprised with the change. They were meant to go together. Keep us posted!
Old 12-04-10, 07:51 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you go with F-Sport suspension, get both spring and shock.
Old 12-10-10, 10:06 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by quang
if you go with F-Sport suspension, get both spring and shock.
+1 and get the rear sway bar as well.
Old 12-31-10, 04:53 PM
lmschuur
Rookie

Originally Posted by Initial_K
How much bumpier is the difference. I have an 06' 350 and definitely need to lower it. Mine is all just for looks, I won't be racing mine at all and I want it to look good so i'm looking for an option that isn't too slammed or extremely different than stock (drive-ablility wise). I can handle a little less comfort though... I appreciate any input
Old 12-31-10, 06:14 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

Did u get your alignment back into spec? Or is it too low?
Old 01-18-11, 10:32 PM
dsheth
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious to know, how's the alignment? Mainly the camber, I'm thinking about getting the springs/shocks but am kind of concerned with tirewear.
Old 01-26-11, 09:06 PM
gdinero
Rookie

It's been a while since this thread was initiated. Are there others who have installed the F sport suspension who can comment on the difference vs stock?

I have a 2007 IS350 with non-sport stock setup. Almost since getting the car new, I wished I had opted for the sport package or even a sportier car. Prior to that, I had a 99 Mustang GT, which was very fun to drive. I like my Lexus... it's nice, luxurious, and fast... but it ain't fun.

So I'm toying with either going F sport crazy: shocks, springs, sway bars, cross brace... or getting rid of it for a 335i (used CPO). I've test driven a few 335's, and I love the handling, hate the instruments/nav. Plus I'm concerned about long term reliability of the twin turbos.

And I'm wordering if I can get the same sort of old Mustang feel out of the Lexus by going F Sport even if the off-center steering and front/weight imbalance prevents it from ever replicating a 335i.

So... from those who have added Sways+shocks+springs... 1) do you think I can get my old Mustang feeling back? and 2) if you did it over again, would you mod your car again or just leave it stock (or get a new car?)? And ... I'm in the Dallas area... if there are any of you around here... I would LOVE to get a ride in your modded IS :-)

BTW - since some of you will probably be asking why I didn't upgrade sooner... this was a lease and now I will either buy it or get rid of it.

Thanks,
-G
Old 01-26-11, 11:06 PM
Micaiah

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1. No. Muscle cars and imports are two totally different cookies. It will NEVER feel like a muscle car. I have both a Trans Am and an IS.
2. Yes. No regrets there, at all.

Quick Reply: Review: F-Sport Springs/Shocks