Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review: F-Sport Springs/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 06:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

mustang was live axle, that alone (versus IRS in the lexus) will make a significant difference in the suspension.

Personally I suggest the F-sport sway bars as anyones first handling mod... with those (and the factory sport suspension and most importantly good tires) I'm quite happy with the handling of the car
Old 01-28-11, 02:02 PM
gdinero
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, appreciate the input.
Old 01-31-11, 04:40 PM
is350wh
Driver

The full F package is absolutely awesome. It is almost as good as a 335's suspension. If the IS had better steering, it would be even closer to the 335.

Sways plus shocks plus springs equals amazing handling AND amazing comfort. I'm Finally happy with how my car handles.

Do I still wish for a 335? Sometimes, but not very much. The IS looks better, the interior is way nicer than the BMW, and reliability (in the long term) must be better in the IS.
Old 02-01-11, 03:15 PM
unccballa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I decided to go f sport springs and shocks and got it installed last weekend. So far so good, very happy with this setup. The ride comfort is very close to stock, handling is great, and the mild drop is just how I want it since it's my daily driver. Definitely looks more aggressive than before. Now I'm deciding if I should add the f sport rear sway. Don't know if I should since I'm already satisfied with the shocks/springs. Would this change ride comfort at all? Anyone with experience of both setups (f sport shocks/springs vs shocks/springs/rear sway) care to share your thoughts?
Old 02-10-11, 02:47 PM
is350wh
Driver

Most people say it doesn't change the ride comfort much. My experience is that the sways do tighten up the ride a bit, so there is some amount of difference. It feels more sporty, but I think you will feel less comfortable when going over irregular road surfaces that cause the car to wobble. The best way I can explain it is to say that the rear shocks/springs are less independent (more tied together), so movement on one wheel can be felt through the rest of the car.
Old 02-14-11, 06:37 AM
jmhtx
Rookie

This is a very complete write up. I have been thinking about adding some springs to lower just a little, but now after reading this I think I will save up a bit and get both the springs and shocks and install them all at once.
Old 02-14-11, 12:52 PM
silentbob
Driver

gah...so is anyone actually happy with a f-sport spring and stock shock setup? i'd like to lower my car mainly for looks but it's not worth the extra $700+ for f-sport shocks in addition to springs for me...
Old 02-14-11, 01:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by silentbob
gah...so is anyone actually happy with a f-sport spring and stock shock setup? i'd like to lower my car mainly for looks but it's not worth the extra $700+ for f-sport shocks in addition to springs for me...
Yes, I have Eibach 350 springs (same as F-sport) with stock sport package shocks, I'm happy with the setup. The difference in appearance is very obvious if you are on 19's.

Downside (which is shared and reported with the F-sport shocks) occurs on large bumps at high speed, seems like rebound control is marginal sometimes, otherwise good ride/handling combo. My IS350 has 36K miles on it.
Old 02-14-11, 01:21 PM
jmhtx
Rookie

I satisfied with the ride of my IS350 with front and rear sways, but I don't like the ride height. My read is that the springs and shocks will best duplicate the ride comfort while giving an improved ride height. If there is a beter/cheaper way of doing this, I'd like to know.
Old 02-14-11, 02:00 PM
silentbob
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes, I have Eibach 350 springs (same as F-sport) with stock sport package shocks, I'm happy with the setup. The difference in appearance is very obvious if you are on 19's.

Downside (which is shared and reported with the F-sport shocks) occurs on large bumps at high speed, seems like rebound control is marginal sometimes, otherwise good ride/handling combo. My IS350 has 36K miles on it.
gotcha, thanks for the feedback. i probably should have been more specific though. interested in people who have stock non-sport shocks paired with their f-sport springs...
Old 02-17-11, 04:54 PM
SeanIS350
Pole Position

I'm intertested to know this too so hoping someone can reply. Anyone on the f-sport springs and stock non-sport shocks??? anyone?
Old 02-26-11, 01:29 PM
is350wh
Driver

Yes, I had the F-Sport Springs with the stock non-sport shocks for over a year. Terrible, terrible, terrible. After a while, I couldn't stand that set up; it was punishing. I now have both the F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Shocks. The ride and handling are great now. However, I do hear quite a bit of clunking coming from the front. I've had the dealer check it over and over; they can't find it and everything seems tight. I think they messed up the installation (AGAIN!). Lexus installations have been very poor quality, but the parts are great.
Old 02-26-11, 01:43 PM
KangstaxD
Lead Lap

I have the f-sport springs with stock shocks. The ride quality is not terrible. It is better than factory ride itself....
Old 02-26-11, 03:21 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by is350wh
Yes, I had the F-Sport Springs with the stock non-sport shocks for over a year. Terrible, terrible, terrible. After a while, I couldn't stand that set up; it was punishing. I now have both the F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Shocks. The ride and handling are great now. However, I do hear quite a bit of clunking coming from the front. I've had the dealer check it over and over; they can't find it and everything seems tight. I think they messed up the installation (AGAIN!). Lexus installations have been very poor quality, but the parts are great.
Sadly another bad installation by inexperienced shop.

IMO, the best experienced independent shops are the way to go. I had Eibach 350's installed and alignment done on same day on my sport package IS350, no problems, no clunking.

The Lexus parts departments may do significant volume selling these F-sport suspension parts, but the service departments often lack installation experience.
Old 02-27-11, 10:01 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silentbob
gotcha, thanks for the feedback. i probably should have been more specific though. interested in people who have stock non-sport shocks paired with their f-sport springs...
i have the F-Sport springs with stock (non-sport) shocks on the AWD for over a year. personally i think the ride is fine. Granted you'll feel a bit more of the bumps on the road compared to stock springs, but overall it's not terrible, unless you hit a large pothole or something. Where i live, there are some bad roads here and there, but nothing like NYC, so i can't really say what the ride quality would be like in those places. I did drive to NYC for vacation once, and i remember the ride quality was acceptable, except when i hit a large bump/pothole/etc. But then again, i was only there for a few days, so probably not a good judge of how it'll perform long term.

Honestly, i think ride quality is a bit subjective anyway, at least when it comes to opinions on bad ride quality, since what's harsh for you may be ok for me. So just keep that in mind.

Quick Reply: Review: F-Sport Springs/Shocks