Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

noob coilovers question. help =)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 10:59 PM
pandy_88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob coilovers question. help =)

hey cl,

been here a while but never really have pics of my car cuz its not "dropped" yet.

i dont want to go springs and shocks cuz my homie said that the ride is not adjustable ( when we go snowboarding) and that its not as comfort.

is that true? what is the exact difference for coilovers and springs+shocks?

what is the most comfortable teins coils? is it the CS?
Old 10-20-08, 11:28 PM
i2IS
Pole Position

You can adjust the dampening and height on coilover. I think thats the biggest difference. Looks like Tein CS is the most comfortable ones out there
Old 10-28-08, 12:12 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FatCatzIS
You can adjust the dampening and height on coilover. I think thats the biggest difference. Looks like Tein CS is the most comfortable ones out there

You can always go with TEIN SS.
Old 10-28-08, 12:39 PM
Giggity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pandy_88

i dont want to go springs and shocks cuz my homie said that the ride is not adjustable ( when we go snowboarding) and that its not as comfort.
Homie needs to do his homework...
it all depends on the shock/spring combo you choose. Tokico and Lexus (f-sport which are Bilsteins) now give two choices over the OEM shock and there are several spring manufactures that all offer roughly the same spring rate with any where from a 1" to 2 1/4" drop. But no shock spring combo is height adjustable, the tokico's do offer damp/rebound adjustment.

is that true? what is the exact difference for coilovers and springs+shocks?
They are both "coilovers" one is adjustable one is not.

what is the most comfortable teins coils? is it the CS?
All adjustable coilovers available for the 2IS offer dampening adjustment and come with appropriate spring rates to maintain a "comfortable" ride. Some brands offer higher spring rates for a more performance oriented suspension set up.

My advice is to do some research, when you find a set up you like, then ask what the opinions are about them around here. Tein CS's are over priced for what they are, but it's your money and if you feel better about having a recognizeable brand on your car than go for it.
There are 2 alternative brands, one is a little more mainstream than the other, but they appear to be manufactured by the same people and use monotube struts with 32 way dampening adjustment and height adjustment via a fully threaded shock body with adjustable lower mount and not the spring perch like the Tanabe and the Teins. Also both the Tanabe and the Teins require you to re-use the OEM strut hats for the rears, and are both priced way above the alternative brands which are complete bolt in units out of the box.