Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

still wondering should i get the Sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 01:07 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting Hotchkis regardless cause I really can't stand the F-Sport color. Thanks Terrance, that's all I needed to hear
Old 10-25-08, 03:32 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

t-rex, can you adjust the front like you adjust the back. The only thing i'm scared of is losing traction during a fast turn and end up spinning out.
Old 10-25-08, 08:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
I'm getting Hotchkis regardless cause I really can't stand the F-Sport color. Thanks Terrance, that's all I needed to hear
You're trading more understeer for a better looking color of an under-car component? Do you really spend that much time under your car?
Old 10-25-08, 10:53 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You're trading more understeer for a better looking color of an under-car component? Do you really spend that much time under your car?
Kurtz...

What setup would you prefer?

Setup 1 - 60% front / 140% Rear

or

Setup 2 - 6% front / 160% Rear

And why....

Last edited by t0e; 10-25-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-25-08, 11:03 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Which set up do you prefer for someone that drives relatively aggressive?
Old 10-25-08, 11:38 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Me personally, I am leaning toward f-sports. I don't need more understeer.

But, I would like to have less body roll up front (with the thicker sway bar), but that will change the dynamics of the car, which is very sensitive.

Last edited by t0e; 10-25-08 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-25-08, 11:41 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Let's wait for kurtz for his input. I might be going for f-sport as well.
Old 10-25-08, 11:43 PM
tfz_hebe89
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with F-sport and I feel no "added" understeer at all.. body roll is reduced on the other hand..hope that helps
Old 10-26-08, 01:19 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly I like #1 cause I'm not a hardcore driver, just someone that feels the need to have the car handles a bit better.
Old 10-26-08, 03:01 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In Isuxel's defense, you can see the sway bars through the engine compartment when the hood is up .

But, I would imagine that you could just spray paint them whatever color you like.

Originally Posted by t0e
But, I would like to have less body roll up front (with the thicker sway bar), but that will change the dynamics of the car, which is very sensitive.
I'm sure kurtz will have a more technical answer as to why, but IIRC the front sway bar actually affects the REAR dynamics, and vice-versa.
Old 10-26-08, 08:34 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

See!! You can see it ahhaha
Old 10-26-08, 08:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
Kurtz...

What setup would you prefer?

Setup 1 - 60% front / 140% Rear

or

Setup 2 - 6% front / 160% Rear

And why....

Setup 2... from the factory this car has quite a bit of understeer built into it (as do almost all cars anymore, because it's "safer")

Setup 2 will significantly reduce this. Setup 1 will reduce it, but not as much.

Herb Adams wrote a pretty nice book on chasis engineering if anyone wants to get into the technical stuff a bunch, but the "simple" thing is that the larger your front bar the more the car will understeer and the larger your rear bar the more the car will oversteer (all else being equal on a normal RWD vehicle).

With the F-sports on my 350 I don't find any oversteer issues, so I suspect I could've gone even stiffer rear if anyone made one, but it's a big noticable improvement as is, and "good enough" for the driving I do with this thing.

On my last RWD car (albeit a considerably larger and more powerful car than the IS350) I used some Herb Adams designed bars that increased the front stiffness by 94% and the rear stiffness by -441- percent. And that got the car just about perfect neutral (neither tending toward under nor over steer)... under normal conditions you got neutral handling and if you romped the gas you got throttle induced oversteer, which is how a RWD car should behave IMHO...no electronic nannies on that car though.

Given all the electronic nannies on this car it's gonna be pretty tough to spin the car out unless you turn VSC/TRAC off, no matter what bars you go with.
Old 10-27-08, 12:08 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

thanks Kurtz, i think you just helped me make my first decision regarding the suspension/handling portion of the car.
Old 10-27-08, 01:17 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Great stuff. F-sport it is.
Old 02-11-09, 10:01 AM
IS25Heaven
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Setup 2... from the factory this car has quite a bit of understeer built into it (as do almost all cars anymore, because it's "safer")

Setup 2 will significantly reduce this. Setup 1 will reduce it, but not as much.

Herb Adams wrote a pretty nice book on chasis engineering if anyone wants to get into the technical stuff a bunch, but the "simple" thing is that the larger your front bar the more the car will understeer and the larger your rear bar the more the car will oversteer (all else being equal on a normal RWD vehicle).

With the F-sports on my 350 I don't find any oversteer issues, so I suspect I could've gone even stiffer rear if anyone made one, but it's a big noticable improvement as is, and "good enough" for the driving I do with this thing.

On my last RWD car (albeit a considerably larger and more powerful car than the IS350) I used some Herb Adams designed bars that increased the front stiffness by 94% and the rear stiffness by -441- percent. And that got the car just about perfect neutral (neither tending toward under nor over steer)... under normal conditions you got neutral handling and if you romped the gas you got throttle induced oversteer, which is how a RWD car should behave IMHO...no electronic nannies on that car though.

Given all the electronic nannies on this car it's gonna be pretty tough to spin the car out unless you turn VSC/TRAC off, no matter what bars you go with.

Thanks for the explanation, but lets say if i was looking for oversteer, should i just go with 160% set up for the rear? I know its not enough but its better than nothing in this case. Im just trying to get my car to have less understeer. My front tires are bald compared to my rear tires.

Quick Reply: still wondering should i get the Sway bar?