Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

swapping suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 09:40 AM
jeepstR118
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping suspension?

hey guys. i am new here and wanted to start off by thank you guys for making a forum with such great knowledge of lexus vehicles.

with that say, i have a stock 92 sc400 and i was looking around to modify it accordingly to what i like doing as a hobby and that is drifting.

like i stated above my car is stock. i have a friend who just got coilovers for his GS300 and re removed his previous suspension. it was bilstein shocks with H&R springs. it looked decent on his car... i realized the suspension set up on the GS300 was very similar to that of an SC300.

is there any chance i can rock his GS300 suspension on my sc400?

becuase i will be getting them at a friend discount..if you know what i mean lol.

thank you for your help in advance and hope to keep you guys updated with the cars progress.
Old 11-04-08, 12:58 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

as far as i know, no you cannot. only the SC and the Supra share the same suspension setup.
Old 11-04-08, 03:07 PM
jeepstR118
Driver School Candidate

really? i mean it looks identical to the SC suspension...

maybe the top hats but being just srpings and shocks i can swap them with my stockers...
Old 11-05-08, 08:09 AM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

Nope, u cant!
Old 11-05-08, 08:18 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the top had bolt pattern is the same. the back shocks should be a direct replacement. the front from what i remember is a bit different.

i know that stance jzz30/jza80 rear coilovers are identical to the arisot/gs ones for the jzs161. what year is your buddies gs? is it the jzs14791st gen) of the jzs160/161(2nd gen)?

i would say that they will almost fit. give it a try.

how much are you going to pay for your friends setup anyways?
Old 11-05-08, 01:09 PM
jeepstR118
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the top had bolt pattern is the same. the back shocks should be a direct replacement. the front from what i remember is a bit different.

i know that stance jzz30/jza80 rear coilovers are identical to the arisot/gs ones for the jzs161. what year is your buddies gs? is it the jzs14791st gen) of the jzs160/161(2nd gen)?

i would say that they will almost fit. give it a try.

how much are you going to pay for your friends setup anyways?
i know its a '99 GS300 so second gen?(year that started with the dual head lamps.) so i would i assume jzs160/1?

funny enough i thought the fronts would bolt up fine and the rears would be different lol.
i havent had a chance to look at my sc400's suspension and this suspension set up next to each other to see the similarities but i feel it will work.

also, lets say the front shocks are different... any chance i can just swap the springs? or are the springs not interchangeable?

i am practically gonna get it for free...he bought coils and this came on his car when he bought it...she he doesnt need them anymore.

i think this weekend i might try and put it on and see where it takes me.

Last edited by jeepstR118; 11-05-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-05-08, 04:19 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

the major difference is either in the shock height or the lower shock mount where it connects to the LCA. it looks the same but im not sure if the GS shock will properly fit the SC lower shock mount.

do it and come back with results
Old 11-05-08, 07:17 PM
jeepstR118
Driver School Candidate

i am willing to put money its on the lower shock mount. i will take a better look tommorrow and see whats up.
Old 11-09-08, 11:00 PM
Myblacksc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say get the set up made for the car. I wouldn't risky "trying" new stuff with suspension set up.. especially if you're going to drift in it. Get something that has been proven to work so you won't have to worry about it holding up when you're going sideways at 70 80 MPH. I wouldn't cheap out on a part like that if I were you... not worth finding out the hard way. Just my .02
Old 11-10-08, 06:30 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Myblacksc
I would say get the set up made for the car. I wouldn't risky "trying" new stuff with suspension set up.. especially if you're going to drift in it. Get something that has been proven to work so you won't have to worry about it holding up when you're going sideways at 70 80 MPH. I wouldn't cheap out on a part like that if I were you... not worth finding out the hard way. Just my .02
dude there is nothing to "try". it is simply unbolting old suspension and installing the new stuff. the only way the gs suspension could fail is if its a factory defect. if you bolt it in properly it will not fail. performing its best would be a different story.

the upper shock mounts are the same on both cars. the rear shocks are identical on both cars as well. so he is 50% to his goal of a better suspension for almost free.

the only difference is the front lower shock mount and possibly the shock length. to remove one front shock and compare it with the GS one will take under an hour.

if you know the suspension in our cars you know that the front lower shock mount is just a thick sheet metal bracket bolted to the control arm. worst case scenario he takes a few hours for work, finds a buddy that is a good welder, make a new bracket, and install the suspension.

the only critical thing to measure here is:
1. shock length(from the center of lower shock mount to upper shock mount)
2. the width of the lower shock mount(not the OD or the ID of it)

drifters are poor but ingenious people...you can make it work. i have faith in you.