Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 11:50 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a 250 tho it might be more rewarding to put that money somewhere else right?
Old 02-06-11, 08:17 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed the FRONT bar today, Ive had the rear bar only for over a year... I can say (with my suspension and tire set up) this bar does make a noticeable difference. Ive been driving the car really hard (there is no speed limit where i live) lattley. and with this fron bar, the car leans less on hard turns and the rear tires feel more planted on hard turns. Before the car would lean too much making the rear tires spin out easier. Now I have to push the car harder for the rear tires to break loose.
I dont think this bar would make any difference on a stock suspension and crappy tire set up, I would assume the tires would brake loose before the sway bar would even make any difference.

Anyways Im really glad I got this bar.
Old 02-06-11, 08:48 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have been reading that the pro's out way the con's when it comes to the ride feel with the F sway bars. My question is had anyone with lower back problems find this set up to harsh of a ride? Also, wondering how is the ride down the Highway compared to the stock sway bars. I assume it will be more stiff & less lean in sharp turns.

I currently have the stock suspension on my 08 350 and debating if I should install the F-sway bars. If anyone can give me any insight, I would be greatly appricative.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 02-07-11, 12:39 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs350
Hi everyone,

I have been reading that the pro's out way the con's when it comes to the ride feel with the F sway bars. My question is had anyone with lower back problems find this set up to harsh of a ride? Also, wondering how is the ride down the Highway compared to the stock sway bars. I assume it will be more stiff & less lean in sharp turns.

I currently have the stock suspension on my 08 350 and debating if I should install the F-sway bars. If anyone can give me any insight, I would be greatly appricative.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
I've put aftermarket sway bars (front and rear) on every car I've owned in the last 25+ years. By themselves they really don't add a whole lot of significant harshness to highway driving. Springs and shocks can significantly add harshness to any car, depending on the spring rate and shock purchased.
I just put the rear F Sport sway bar on my car recently, and I can tell you it is well worth the money spent. I'm going to drive with it on for a while, and then decide if the front bar will be my next step. So far I'm very happy with the improved steering feel, and reduced body roll, when cornering with just the rear F Sport bar. Hope this helps.
Old 02-07-11, 12:52 PM
Lexs350
Driver

Thank you Turbo gg for your reply. Yes, your remarks has helped me to decide. I will most likely get the front and rear. Thanks again.

Attila
Old 02-07-11, 12:58 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexs350
Thank you Turbo gg for your reply. Yes, your remarks has helped me to decide. I will most likely get the front and rear. Thanks again.

Attila
Anytime my friend! You're going to be really happy with your decision! I can tell you I will most likely end up getting the front F Sport sway bar eventually, as it just makes sense to upgrade both bars to maximize the handling of my car.
Get your F Sport bars from Sewell Lexus, their prices to members of CL can't be beat!
Old 02-07-11, 02:57 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

I thought I would follow up on this question I had:

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I just picked up Blitz RhinoRamps™ 12,000 Portable Automotive Ramps
(Part No 11905) from advance auto parts. The price for them now is $44.99 - $16 w/ a coupon code.

Originally Posted by mong
You do need a torque wrench.. at first I used a regular ratchet wrench to see if I can tighten it up without the torque, then i decided to use the torque anyway (might as well since I have one ) there was like a full turn and half left till I hit the recommended torque spec for the sway bolts. Soooo you do NEED a torque wrench to tighten up the bolts. fyi I'm maybe 145lbs, but I'm a pretty strong 145lber (just maxed out on bench last Monday 305lbs! ) anyway.. torque wrench FTW!
Suggestions on a good torque wrench to order? any other tools?
My front and rear sway bars arrived a few days ago. I'd like to do the install on the next nice day (today would have been a good one - it's 50 degrees outside)
Old 02-10-11, 10:10 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can someone help??

I want to buy the F-Sport rear sway bar only for my 2007 IS350 from Sewell for $200 and have a dealer install it. That way it'll be covered by my CPO and VSA warranties in full.

I just talked to the dealer nearest me and they said it calls for 3 hours to install the rear sway alone at a cost of $345 labor only (!!!) but that it usually only takes 2 hours (!).

Clearly this is absurd, and I told the service person as much when I called. If I had the space and tools (I live in a city and park on the street) I'd do it myself in 30 minutes following the DIY.

But given I don't have the space or tools, and that if I have a Lexus dealer install it then it's covered by warranty, I'd like to have it done at a dealer. I'm even willing to pay a full hour of labor for it, but no more.

Does anyone have experience with dealers installing ONLY the rear sway bar, how long it took and what it cost? I'd drive to a different dealer if they could do it in an hour.
Old 02-10-11, 10:37 AM
jmhtx
Rookie

My dealer installed the front and rear for $100.
Old 02-10-11, 10:39 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I would follow up on this question I had:

My front and rear sway bars arrived a few days ago. I'd like to do the install on the next nice day (today would have been a good one - it's 50 degrees outside)
Any torque wrench will do. Just make sure you have an extension. You may need it, cause is a bit cramp under the car. Torque wrench and ratchet wrench is all you need bro.
Old 02-10-11, 10:41 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Can someone help??

I want to buy the F-Sport rear sway bar only for my 2007 IS350 from Sewell for $200 and have a dealer install it. That way it'll be covered by my CPO and VSA warranties in full.

I just talked to the dealer nearest me and they said it calls for 3 hours to install the rear sway alone at a cost of $345 labor only (!!!) but that it usually only takes 2 hours (!).

Clearly this is absurd, and I told the service person as much when I called. If I had the space and tools (I live in a city and park on the street) I'd do it myself in 30 minutes following the DIY.

But given I don't have the space or tools, and that if I have a Lexus dealer install it then it's covered by warranty, I'd like to have it done at a dealer. I'm even willing to pay a full hour of labor for it, but no more.

Does anyone have experience with dealers installing ONLY the rear sway bar, how long it took and what it cost? I'd drive to a different dealer if they could do it in an hour.
Just take your car to a private shop. They should only charge you $50-100, and it shouldn't void your warranty either.. unless is the root cause of your problem.
Old 02-12-11, 02:39 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Here's my update, after driving on my F Sport rear sway bar for the last week. Driving on the rear bar, the car feels more solid at the back in cornering. Cornering feels more precise, not as vague as stock. Body lean in turns is greatly reduced, and my IS is starting to corner like it should have out of the box. The steering feels more responsive, and precise as well. You point into a turn, and it feels like the car wants to carve into the turn. Overall a very worthwhile upgrade.
However, I feel like the front end now is a little soft and less dialed in then the back with the F sport sway bar. I feel a slight imbalance in the car now............back end feels connected and dialed in , the front now feels a little too soft and and allows too much body lean. It's slight, but I notice it. So, I'm definitely going for the front F Sport sway bar asap, as I think the car will really benefit from a bigger bar. Once I get it, and drive with it, I'll post another update.
Old 02-13-11, 08:22 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by allst4r
just installed. no torque wrench needed. i did purchase one but the wrench was to big to fit inbetween the camber arm. so i just tighten it as tight as i could. which is pretty damn tight...
You do need a torque wrench.. at first I used a regular ratchet wrench to see if I can tighten it up without the torque, then i decided to use the torque anyway (might as well since I have one ) there was like a full turn and half left till I hit the recommended torque spec for the sway bolts. Soooo you do NEED a torque wrench to tighten up the bolts. fyi I'm maybe 145lbs, but I'm a pretty strong 145lber (just maxed out on bench last Monday 305lbs! ) anyway.. torque wrench FTW!
Suggestions on a good torque wrench to order? any other tools?
Any torque wrench will do. Just make sure you have an extension. You may need it, cause is a bit cramp under the car. Torque wrench and ratchet wrench is all you need bro.
Thanks man.. I'll swing by home depot or somewhere today and pick it up. 50ish degrees out there so I think that's warm enough to work. Any good install threads w/ pictures, etc? Otherwise I was just planning on following the instructions I got with the product
Old 02-21-11, 06:02 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done my research on the forums, and it looks like someone knowledgeable with a lift (like, say, a Lexus service tech...) could install the rear F-sport sway in 30 minutes. To complete my research, I called every dealer within about 60 miles of me to see if any had a better deal, and I was amazed at both how varied their quotes were and how exorbitant the prices were:

LEXUS DEALER / PARTS (price for set) / LABOR (price and hours)
Towson / $650 / $345 (2-3 hrs)
Len Stoler / $495 / $173 (1.5 hrs)
Sheehy / $495 / $238 (2 hrs)
Silver Spring / $725 / Didn't quote
Rockville / $744 / $257 (2 hrs)
Chantilly / $495 / $340 (3 hrs)
Alexandria / $700 / Didn't quote

Just thought I'd share how varied these quotes were. I figured because they're all Lexus authorized dealers buying the parts from the same place (Lexus), they'd be about the same. Unfortunately, given I just spent the cash on the car, I don't have ~$700-1000 to spend on getting one sway bar purchased and installed. From what I read on the forums, I was hoping to do it for more around $300 ($200 for the bar and $100 for install).

Anyone know of a place in the Baltimore, Maryland (or greater Maryland/DC) area that would install the bar for me if I bought it from Sewell? (And I know that this would then not be covered by my CPO warranty, but I've accepted that given the prices above). I'd be hugely grateful!
Old 02-21-11, 06:09 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

guys im getting my sway bar by the end of this week, u guys wanna do a group install???

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!