Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-11, 09:53 AM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
Thanks for this info. This past Friday when it was 70+ degrees, I thought it would be the perfect day to put both the front and rear sway bars in my '08 IS 350. I attempted but I couldn't even get the bolts off. The next day I had my alignment scheduled at IAG Performance in Westminster and I also asked them to give me a quote on the sway bar install. They said it would be $240 - $80 an hour for the mechanic, 1.5 hours for each bar.

I thought that if I Couldn't do the install myself I'd have them or someone else do it. I'm heading on vacation for a couple weeks this Thursday. I'm thinking of scheduling the install now (I believe they're usually backed up) and when I come back, trying it again, and canceling the appt if I can pull it off.

I haven't put my engine under covers back on since I pulled them off on Friday. I hope I don't damage anything. I just have one more day of driving tomorrow and then the car's parked for 2 weeks
Also, where in MD are you? I'm in Baltimore. If you were going to do an install on a nice weekend in a few weeks, I'd love to drive down and do it as well. Because I live in the city and park on the street, I really have no place nor tools to do it where I live..
Old 02-23-11, 11:10 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin2376
Also, where in MD are you? I'm in Baltimore. If you were going to do an install on a nice weekend in a few weeks, I'd love to drive down and do it as well. Because I live in the city and park on the street, I really have no place nor tools to do it where I live..
Thanks for the info yourself, had never heard of that place. I'll give them a call and ask what they'll quote for just the rear sway bar, and what warranty if any they'll offer on their work.
I didn't want to take this thread too off topic so I posted you a visitor message. If you want, maybe we can get a thread going in one of those regional forums if anyone else wants to join.

There is something I did want to ask the forum though - would dealer be ok for the sway bar install? Because looking at price quotes by calvin2376:

LEXUS DEALER / PARTS (price for set) / LABOR (price and hours)
Towson / $650 / $345 (2-3 hrs)
Len Stoler / $495 / $173 (1.5 hrs)
Sheehy / $495 / $238 (2 hrs)
Silver Spring / $725 / Didn't quote
Rockville / $744 / $257 (2 hrs)
Chantilly / $495 / $340 (3 hrs)
Alexandria / $700 / Didn't quote

..and assuming 1) it's for both the install of the front and rear sway bars and 2) ok if you buy the sway bars from elsewhere (I already grabbed them both from sewell using the clublexus.com discount), $173 doesn't seem too bad.

IAG Performance, the place that did my alignment last saturday, said it was 1-2 hours (or was it 1.5 - 2hrs per bar) at $80 an hour making the cost anywhere $160 to $360. If it's not a big deal for the dealer to do this, I'll just go with them. Plus, I wouldn't feel bad canceling the appt right before if I can get the install done on my own versus with this friendlier performance shop

Last edited by Shahryar; 02-23-11 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-23-11, 12:51 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I didn't want to take this thread too off topic so I posted you a visitor message. If you want, maybe we can get a thread going in one of those regional forums if anyone else wants to join.

There is something I did want to ask the forum though - would dealer be ok for the sway bar install? Because looking at price quotes by calvin2376:

..and assuming 1) it's for both the install of the front and rear sway bars and 2) ok if you buy the sway bars from elsewhere (I already grabbed them both from sewell using the clublexus.com discount), $173 doesn't seem too bad.

IAG Performance, the place that did my alignment last saturday, said it was 1-2 hours (or was it 1.5 - 2hrs per bar) at $80 an hour making the cost anywhere $160 to $360. If it's not a big deal for the dealer to do this, I'll just go with them. Plus, I wouldn't feel bad canceling the appt right before if I can get the install done on my own versus with this friendlier performance shop
Just to be clear with you and everyone (and sorry I didn't make this clearer in my post), the PARTS price quoted there is for the set (front and rear sway bar), but the LABOR price quoted is for install of ONLY THE REAR BAR, because that's the only one I was interested in.

So if you're looking at those labor quotes and wanting to know what it would cost to do both front and rear, double those labor costs (I know, it's ridiculous).

That's why I'm all about either doing a group install during a meet on a weekend or something, or maybe trying to get a group discount at this IAG Performance place.
Old 02-23-11, 01:08 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

And I would hope that IAG shop is quoting 1-2 hours for both bars because if they can't do both bars in under 2 hours with a lift and air tools they're completely incompetent.

Me and a buddy did both in just over an hour... with jacks, jackstands, and hand tools. And only 15 minutes of that was the rear bar.
Old 02-23-11, 01:35 PM
350FSport
Driver

Do you have to have a torque wrench to do this install? They are like $70 at Home Depot, and I will likely never use it again.. add in another $50 for rhino ramps, and I might as well get it installed at a shop and save myself the effort..
Old 02-23-11, 02:46 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 350FSport
Do you have to have a torque wrench to do this install? They are like $70 at Home Depot, and I will likely never use it again.. add in another $50 for rhino ramps, and I might as well get it installed at a shop and save myself the effort..
HAVE to?

No.

To do it properly? Yes.

You can just hand tighten, but you've no idea if that's the proper amount of torque (it's almost certainly not... and no idea if it's too much or too little).

I think some auto parts places will lend tools, check if they do torque wrenches.

As for the ramps- this'll be like the 5th car I've used my same set of rhino ramps for- those things are awesome... and they'll let you install an axle-back exhaust in 15 minutes yourself if you want to later on.
Old 02-23-11, 09:41 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
And I would hope that IAG shop is quoting 1-2 hours for both bars because if they can't do both bars in under 2 hours with a lift and air tools they're completely incompetent.

Me and a buddy did both in just over an hour... with jacks, jackstands, and hand tools. And only 15 minutes of that was the rear bar.
yeah, I've seen your posts both here and on my.is discussing how easy it is but I myself struggled. Even after using PB blaster we still couldn't get one of the link bolts off. I go into it more here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-problem.html

like I said, I'm going to give it another go first before giving up and having a shop do it

Edit: gave it another go and couldn't do it. Heading to shop later today to do it. Here's a write up w/ pics: http://shahryar.net/2011/03/14/faile...y-2008-is-350/

Last edited by Shahryar; 01-10-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 10:50 PM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 awd. so i just got my rear sway today. On sewell i just ordered the rear sway alone. Theres no option for awd or rwd but i wasnt sure if they were same. Well the box says is250awd on it. So if any one is wondering they still have those same ones. and they are the same. I dont know where someone got the info that f-sport made new rear ones specifically for awds.
Old 02-25-11, 07:36 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by jnguyen87
I dont know where someone got the info that f-sport made new rear ones specifically for awds.
OK I'll try to put this comment into prospective. It's been discussed before, but here it goes again.

Up until '09 The sway bar kit for the AWD IS250 was PN PTR02-53080 and consisted of only a rear bar. It was the same rear bar that came with the front/rear bar kit for the RWD. It was a 19mm solid bar.

In '10 Lexus dropped the prior AWD rear bar kit and replaced it with PN PTR02-53096 and this kit consisted of a front and rear bar. The dimensions are 30mm in front and 17.5mm in the rear.

Again, we are talking two different kits here. I have attached a chart to explain this.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ISway Bar Specs.pdf (26.5 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by flowrider; 02-25-11 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-25-11, 09:43 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

So if you dont order the AWD "kit" which consist of the front and a 17.5mm dia rear, you can still order the 19mm dia rear bar ALONE which STILL works for both the RWD and AWDs correct?

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
OK I'll try to put this comment into prospective. It's been discussed before, but here it goes again.

Up until '09 The sway bar kit for the AWD IS250 was PN PTR02-53080 and consisted of only a rear bar. It was the same rear bar that came with the front/rear bar kit for the RWD. It was a 19mm solid bar.

In '10 Lexus dropped the prior AWD rear bar kit and replaced it with PN PTR02-53096 and this kit consisted of a front and rear bar. The dimensions are 30mm in front and 17.5mm in the rear.

Again, we are talking two different kits here. I have attached a chart to explain this.

Lou
Old 02-25-11, 10:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Yes, if you can find one. As I recall, toward the end of last year, some dealer's had run out, due to the new replacement kit. Maybe they have resumed production??? But, in any case the old rear only bar PN is not listed the current Lexus F-Sport catalog.

Lou
Old 02-25-11, 11:09 AM
jnguyen87
Lead Lap

yeah well thats what i got in the mail. Bad or good i dont know. But cant be worse getting a thicker rear sway (19mm vs 17.5mm) for my awd right? lol

^^^^Yes, if you can find one. As I recall, toward the end of last year, some dealer's had run out, due to the new replacement kit. Maybe they have resumed production??? But, in any case the old rear only bar PN is not listed the current Lexus F-Sport catalog.

Lou
Old 02-25-11, 12:29 PM
DexRox512
Turkey Killer

I couldn't find an answer for this but what is the difference between buying the rear sway for the IS-F for $150 vs. buying it for the IS350 for $175...just curious. Thanks!
Old 02-25-11, 07:31 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Sorry, I don't understand the question I have an ISF and I have the rear bar PN PTR02-53080, the old IS250 AWD rear bar kit.

Lou
Old 02-25-11, 09:14 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

^^^^Sorry, I don't understand the question I have an ISF and I have the rear bar PN PTR02-53080, the old IS250 AWD rear bar kit.

Lou
i think what he meant was buying the ISF rear sway vs. the F-Sport rear sway for his IS350?

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!