Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11 | 04:26 PM
calvin2376
Racer

Just wanted to post an update, and a warning. I installed the rear F-Sport sway bar on my 2007 IS350 about 5 months ago. My post about the install can be found here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6281430-post565.html

My install was fine except the nuts were rusted on tightly to the endlink bolts. I eventually had to take off the endlinks with the sway bar, saw off the nuts from the bolt, and use new nuts.

This weekend I took off all my wheels to paint my calipers. In doing so, I peeked back at the sway bar ends after I took the rear wheels off and found that the driver's side end of the sway bar was no longer attached to the endlink. The nut apparently had come off, the sway bar end was just floating there unattached, and the endlink was sitting unattached in the control arm.

I got underneath and put a new self-locking nut on both sway bar ends, just to be sure. But I wanted to post here to warn anyone who either did this install themselves, or had trouble getting the nuts off originally, or had to take drastic measures to get them off, that they should periodically peek underneath the car to make sure the sway bar's still attached to the endlinks.

Honestly I haven't noticed any big change in body roll, meaning this probably happened very shortly after my original install.
Old 09-18-11 | 06:29 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Installed my front and rear sways today, what a difference it made. The excessive roll when cornering (even with coilovers) is pretty much gone and the car just feels planted to the ground on turns. Spirited drives are so much fun now
Attached Thumbnails Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!-imag1099.jpg   Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!-imag1098.jpg  
Old 09-19-11 | 07:36 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

How was the install? Time it took? Did you have the whole front and then the whole rear up when you did the bars? In the past I've had troubles with end links getting into a bind.
Old 09-19-11 | 08:18 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Install was pretty easy. I was suppose to install them with my car up on a rack but it was currently being used on another car, so I ended up installing them in my driveway. I was able to install both sway bars utilizing the portion of my driveway where it is level and where it begins to slope down. The rear sway bar was installed without lifting the car. Only the front was jacked up to remove the middle bottom engine panel. I was able to take off the endlinks without trouble, in fact they slipped right off after removing the nut. The endlinks were removed with my car on the ground. Install took about an hour.
Old 09-19-11 | 01:33 PM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-11 | 07:16 PM
ibedizzy
Driver School Candidate

just got the F sport sways installed today. westminster lexus gave me a pretty good deal so i just had them do the install. i'm going to end up with uneven tire wear from all the hard turns i'm now taking. loving the way the car handles tho
Old 10-16-11 | 01:02 PM
drive90
Rookie

I just had my rear F-Sport sway installed this week by JM Lexus in Cocunut Creek (south Florida), having purchased online from Sewell (was $184.39 shipped after the CL discount). JM Lexus charged just 1.0 hours at $75/hr

Very happy with the results.
Old 10-16-11 | 02:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^They appear to be the same bar. But, the one for the ISX50 contains:

Includes additional sway bar brackets and bolts

The ISF Bar does not. That could be because there was a bushing change for the ISX50 in 2009. And the additional hardware compensates for the change. That's only a guess though.

Lou
This is correct. The 06-08 ISx50, 09-12 ISx50 with Sport Supension and the 08-12 IS F have replaceable rear bushings with separate brackets. The 09-12 ISx50 without Sport Suspension has the rear bushings attached to the bar and integrated brackets. Vehicles with this sway bar require the additional brackets and bolts in order to use the F-Sport rear sway bar. Other vehicles (like the older ISx50 and IS F) do not require these additional parts.

EDIT: Also, all IS-C models (IS250C and IS350C) also do not need the brackets and bolts, only 09-12 ISx50 Sedans without factory sport suspension.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 10-17-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-17-11 | 08:29 AM
drive90
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
This is correct. The 06-08 ISx50, 09-12 ISx50 with Sport Supension and the 08-12 IS F have replaceable rear bushings with separate brackets. The 09-12 ISx50 without Sport Suspension has the rear bushings attached to the bar and integrated brackets. Vehicles with this sway bar require the additional brackets and bolts in order to use the F-Sport rear sway bar. Other vehicles (like the older ISx50 and IS F) do not require these additional parts.

Jeff
My dealer didn't use the brackets that Sewell sent (as the small box they were in was still in my trunk sealed after install). Do you think that JM Lexus used their own hardware to install the F-Sport sway bar, or did they install it incorrectly? I'm a little curious as to why they left the new hardware untouched.
Old 10-17-11 | 10:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^The old brackets with new bushings can be made to work. There is a thread somewhere here where a member made it work without new brackets.

Why not go look under the car and see what they did? If your not having issues (noise) and the bar is there with improved handling, I wouldn't worry about it.

Lou
Old 10-17-11 | 04:36 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by drive90
My dealer didn't use the brackets that Sewell sent (as the small box they were in was still in my trunk sealed after install). Do you think that JM Lexus used their own hardware to install the F-Sport sway bar, or did they install it incorrectly? I'm a little curious as to why they left the new hardware untouched.
You only need to use the new brackets if your car doesn't already have them. If it already had the correct brackets, then the new brackets and bolts would have been unnecessary, as they'd be the same ones that were on the car.

Jeff
Old 10-22-11 | 09:01 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Just got a rear sway bar, didnt bring any bushings or brackets. My car is a 2007 is350, can anyone comment if I need any of those or if I reuse my stock bushings and brackets?

Thanks

Last edited by Vroomin350; 10-22-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-22-11 | 09:50 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^You can get away with using the old bushings and brackets from your old rear bar (I think), but you really should use the ones supplied with the new bar. Your old bushings are hard rubber and the ones with the bar are what Lexus describes as High-durometer rubber bushings. There is a difference. The brackets are made to fit around the larger bushings and bar. However, IMO, the stock bushings and brackets can be forced around the larger F Sport bar - I Think However, I know of no one who has tried it.

Lou
Old 10-22-11 | 11:19 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Isn't F-Sport sway thicker than the stock sway? I doubt you can or should use the stock bushing

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Just got a rear sway bar, didnt bring any bushings or brackets. My car is a 2007 is350, can anyone comment if I need any of those or if I reuse my stock bushings and brackets?

Thanks
Old 10-23-11 | 10:00 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^15mm vs 19mm, or a 4mm difference. Hence my tepid response. I think they can be made to fit, would I do it - Heck No

Lou

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!