Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 06:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
What do you guys think about the ISF sways instead of F-sport?

I was going to order the f-sport but my guy told me that the ISF sways are bettter so I got those instead.

Car handles so much better now.
Your "guy" was FOS. Read a few pages back and you'll see why. I have an ISF with an F-Sport bar in the rear.

Lou
Old 11-23-11, 07:25 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Your "guy" was FOS. Read a few pages back and you'll see why. I have an ISF with an F-Sport bar in the rear.

Lou
Found it.. Lots of good info back there.

I'm still pleased with the ISF sways though.

Last edited by aznKewlguy; 11-23-11 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 02:06 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quick question, I lost my bolts and accessories for the Rear sway bar... can I just use the ones from stock?
Old 11-26-11, 06:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Found it.. Lots of good info back there.

I'm still pleased with the ISF sways though.
Good - I'm glad you found it. BTW, I sold my rear ISF bar to a IS350 owner who was very happy with it.

Originally Posted by GilIS250
quick question, I lost my bolts and accessories for the Rear sway bar... can I just use the ones from stock?
The old hardware will probably work, however, I'm not sure your old bushings will fit around the new rear bar. And the F-Sport bushings are made with a harder rubber.

Lou
Old 11-26-11, 09:49 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
The old hardware will probably work, however, I'm not sure your old bushings will fit around the new rear bar. And the F-Sport bushings are made with a harder rubber.

Lou
Lou, would you know where I can find the bushings? I posted a WTB post on the 2IS classified already (hoping someone has some extra pieces).

Thanks,
Gil
Old 11-26-11, 12:21 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Go Here:

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/5078.html

And click in the upper right and ask the question.

Lou
Old 11-26-11, 01:29 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

^^^Thanks man, I didn't even think of that... I just sent them an email...
Old 11-26-11, 09:50 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been speeding so much lately with the ISF sways installed.. Really love the way it handles now.

Wish I could swap for some F-sport ones so I can see if there is really a big difference, but the guy that recommended me to get the ISF ones over the F-sport is actually a service tech at Lexus. So I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.

Either way, I'm sure you can't go wrong with whichever route you go.
Old 11-27-11, 07:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been speeding so much lately with the ISF sways installed.. Really love the way it handles now.

Wish I could swap for some F-sport ones so I can see if there is really a big difference, but the guy that recommended me to get the ISF ones over the F-sport is actually a service tech at Lexus. So I'm sure he knows what he is talking about.
:
Not in this case he doesn't (and if you search through threads you'll find dozens of examples of "lexus techs" being flat out wrong about even pretty basic stuff... like folks taking their RWD car in for an oil change and getting it back with their staggered wheels rotated for example... or the myriad owners who get told by their dealer they have to change their rotors every time they change their pads... and so on...)

While the IS-F stuff is an improvement over stock, the F-sport bars would be an improvement over both.
Old 12-19-11, 10:20 PM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Wednesday I purchased a 2012 IS 350 F-Sport and I just ran across this thread. Everyone is ranting on how much better they are for what I assume are the Luxury package IS 350's.

Is there much difference in handling if I just get the rear sway bar?
Are the F sport sway bars any stiffer than the Luxury or base model IS 350?
Does it make the ride any more harsh and and is it that much better handling than it already is?
Has anybody done this that has a F Sport IS350?

Thanks
Old 12-20-11, 12:06 AM
SiskoMax77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GilIS250
Lou, would you know where I can find the bushings? I posted a WTB post on the 2IS classified already (hoping someone has some extra pieces).

Thanks,
Gil
Get a price quote then call HOTCHKINS, you can buy bushings and hardware seperately for around $55 dollars plus shipping. Just tell them you lost your bolts and bushings for the rear sway bar off theres and it'll fit. I have seen it done and it fits great! Good luck btw.
Old 12-20-11, 07:15 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Last Wednesday I purchased a 2012 IS 350 F-Sport and I just ran across this thread. Everyone is ranting on how much better they are for what I assume are the Luxury package IS 350's.

Is there much difference in handling if I just get the rear sway bar?
Are the F sport sway bars any stiffer than the Luxury or base model IS 350?
Does it make the ride any more harsh and and is it that much better handling than it already is?
Has anybody done this that has a F Sport IS350?

Thanks
The luxury package comes with the same sway bars as the base model. The F-sport models also come with the same stock sway bars. F-sport models do not come with any actual F-sport parts on them. (thus making them the most misleadingly named cars I've ever seen).

The F-sport bars are stiff than these (otherwise there'd be no point in buying them)

The handling improvement going stock F/stock R-> Stock F/F-sport rear is significant

Adding the front bar after that will improve handling further, though the jump will be smaller.

Sway bars essentially make an independent suspension less independent... this means that over rough and uneven surfaces you'll find the ride a bit less smooth... on smooth roads in good shape there won't be any difference in ride.
Old 12-20-11, 07:36 AM
xJC350x
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the swift response. F- sport rear swaybar it is for me then! The F Sport name is really misleading isn't it? So the shocks are the same as any other IS with just a different spring rate or is the strut itself any stiffer? From my knowledge both are stiffer than stock but is that me just imagining It like I imagined the sways stiffer?

I'll see how the rear swaybar affects handling before I get the front. What I am getting is that rear swaybar only gives more oversteer and adding both puts it back to a more neutral handler... Am I correct on this?
Old 12-20-11, 07:53 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xJC350x
Thanks for the swift response. F- sport rear swaybar it is for me then! The F Sport name is really misleading isn't it? So the shocks are the same as any other IS with just a different spring rate or is the strut itself any stiffer? From my knowledge both are stiffer than stock but is that me just imagining It like I imagined the sways stiffer?

The F-sport package re-uses the 'sport suspension' shocks and springs like the old "Sports" package had 06-10. They are linear springs that are a 0.4 inch drop front, same height rear, and a bit stiffer than the "standard" springs"... likewise the sport shocks are stiffer to match those springs. The sports package doesn't change the sway bars though.

The F-sport option springs/shocks you buy off the shelf are completely different parts, they are progressive springs (inferior IMHO) but offer a larger drop (1" and 0.8 inches I think), likewise the shocks are stiffer than standard but, being progressive, it's impossible to really correctly match the springs
Old 12-21-11, 08:39 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

never mind

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!