Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 09:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by nosurprise
The instructions that come with the bars have a torque spec for each bolt. btw, can anyone confirm that no lubrication is needed for the bushings?
As I recall, my instructions were very clear to leave the bushings dry.

Lou
Old 10-02-12, 08:54 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

OK, thanks; I looked through the instructions and didn't see anything so was making sure. I'm going to make another go this weekend -- my car is at the dealer for the needle thing :/
Old 10-05-12, 01:38 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so are sway bars and coilovers a good combo ? or would the ride be too stiff for DD?
Old 10-05-12, 01:44 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^Regarding stiffness, that would depend on which coilovers & the spring rates you pick. But as far as handling, yes, sway bars & coils would improve the handling greatly on the 2IS, besides having sticky tires.
Old 10-05-12, 01:47 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently have BC racing 10/8 standard spring rates and Michellin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. My main concern is that with the sway bars its going to add unnecessary stiffness to an already bumpy ride. As I live in Vancouver here the roads aren't exactly that well maintained ..
Old 10-11-12, 09:35 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i have a RWD IS350, if i were to get one first, should i get the rear or front?
Old 10-11-12, 08:06 PM
nosurprise
Racer

You should get the rear one because it's easier to install, and feel the most difference from what I understand. I just got that installed last night, and it does feel less sway from turning or changing lanes. One thing I notice is that on wobbly roads, the car seems slightly more wobbly.

I was able to install the rear sway bar with a wrench and hammer ... I have problem with the front though as there isn't as much room to work. Did you guys remove the whole engine undercover? I read somewhere that I can work with it attach, but makes the bolts hard to get to. To remove the engine under cover completely, do I need to also need to remove the screws next to the bumper?
Old 10-12-12, 01:09 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to disconnect the rear sway bar links, I guess I need t move that height sensor (at least I think it's the height sensor) out of the way? I was able to do the passenger side just fine, but then what I think is the height sensor is in the way on the driver's side. No way can I get a wrench in there without moving that out of the way somehow.

... Probably should be obvious, which might be why I couldn't find any answers on this when searching the thread.
Old 10-12-12, 10:52 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

One more question -- how important are the torque specifications for the various bolts here? Specifically the driver's side sway bar link and the rear side bolts on the brackets are going to be very difficult (if not impossible) to get to with anything other than a crescent wrench.

Have most people just been using their best judgment for those bolts?

I think the question-askers have begun to significantly outnumber the question-answerers in this thread, heh.
Old 10-12-12, 11:17 PM
nosurprise
Racer

The instruction that comes with my sway bars says to remove the height sensors and put it back after install. I also have a question for the torque specs if you read my other post in another thread :/
Old 10-13-12, 10:25 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, just saw that thread. My instructions didnt mention the height sensor. Although there is this plate sitting in the way that looks like it'd be a problem even after removing the sensor. I guess I'm supposed to remove that too...? I'll take a pic if no one know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-14-12, 11:30 AM
Vibes63
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you remove the height ride sensor bolt for front sway bar? I tried a 13/32 bolt with no help. Adjustable bolt with no help? The bolt is totally stripped. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-15-12, 10:23 AM
nosurprise
Racer

OK, so here is my impression of the the sway bars. I had driven with rear sway bar only for a day and then with the front. The rear bar definitely improves handling the most while the front doesn't improve handling much but makes the car feel less sway in the front. For relative comparison rear sway bar and add front later for additional improvements:

Handling improvements: rear only: 15%, add front: another 3%
Sway feeling: rear only:20%; add front: another 10% improvement of front sway feel

It also seems that the car pull little harder or wobbles a little more on uneven roads than before.

If you're doing your own install, considering the cost and time, I'm not sure if the front is worth it. But if you want the complete feel of the same amount of sway in front and rear, you should get both.

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Yeah, just saw that thread. My instructions didnt mention the height sensor. Although there is this plate sitting in the way that looks like it'd be a problem even after removing the sensor. I guess I'm supposed to remove that too...? I'll take a pic if no one know what I'm talking about.
If you're talking about the plates that's on there with brackets, yes, those need to be removed (it's attached by a screw and some kind of clip).
Old 10-17-12, 05:53 AM
fatjoez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know how the F-Sport rear sway compares to the Ultra Racing Rear Sway 19mm????????
Old 12-01-12, 01:57 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got this done today at a local shop for $60 (winning) and I have to say.. Best. Upgrade. Ever. I read through a ton of this thread and it seemed that some people couldn't tell the difference, but after whipping around my car today its a night and day difference! The car is a lot flatter around bends and even turns during spirited driving. It also just feels more connected in the back too. Even the mechanic that was doing it for me said that the stock sway bar felt pretty bendy for a car that's as heavy as my AWD IS. All I want to do is drive around since my car feels so different . My only regret is waiting 30k miles to get this done!

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!