Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 09:08 PM
OsideI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know a trusted shop in the San Diego area for an install?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-01-12, 09:14 PM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would having coils and sway make the car really stiff? my car is a DD .. not sure if i want to make the car too stiff.. especially with the roads in Vancouver and coils aren't helping either :P
Old 12-02-12, 11:51 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panda327
Would having coils and sway make the car really stiff? my car is a DD .. not sure if i want to make the car too stiff.. especially with the roads in Vancouver and coils aren't helping either :P
From what I read so far there's only 2 negatives to the sway bar

-You'll notice bumps/pot holes/uneven roads a little more
-Car will pull harder if the road isn't even.

I haven't driven on rough roads yet, but I did notice in one spot my car did pull a little harder than it usually does due to the road.
Old 12-02-12, 02:50 PM
HAiS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OsideI
Anyone know a trusted shop in the San Diego area for an install?

Thanks in advance
Front and rear?
Old 12-15-12, 08:04 PM
UCLAJimmy
Pole Position

does the rear sway for 2008 fit 2011 lexus is350 f sport
Old 12-23-12, 08:26 PM
Cuztom350
Driver

Just installed my F-Sport Sway bar today. And man, it is a pain in the ****. I have the 2011 and the brackets are different as someone else noted in the other thread. You have to cut out the rubber for the bracket because it is glued on...
Old 12-24-12, 09:12 AM
zydus
Driver School Candidate

Installed both Front and Rear sways on my AWD today. The front sway bar was a hassle to install (need to lower the subframe).

The cornering is fantastic now!
Old 12-27-12, 03:03 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Since this is an F-Sport Mod thread.
I Test drove the IS250 Test car that has all the F-Sport upgrades at the Lexus dealer

1. Most CL member say the F-sport shocks and spring combo is too hard/harsh, but it wasn't. I purposely drove over potholes dips, and bumps. goes over all those smoothly, no rattles or jolts from the suspension.

2. You can definitely feel that it drives flat on high speed turns. there is one right turn going to the dealer that i tried with my car and my right leg went up because of the body roll.

3. Last the Big brakes which I forgot it had(I was paying attention to the ride quality from the springs and shocks) slows down faster. I didn't do any high speed stops. I just stopped slowly and smoothly on a stoplight and noticed how early and with little pressure stops the car.

Last edited by Joshohoho; 12-27-12 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 06:14 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
Since this is an F-Sport Mod thread.
I Test drove the IS250 Test car that has all the F-Sport upgrades at the Lexus dealer

You'll need to clarify this a bit-

lexus sells an "F-sport" 250... but it contains no actual F-sport parts. It mostly recycles the old "sport" (not F-sport) suspension from the 06-10 sport package. It doesn't use F-sport springs, shocks, sways, brakes, etc.

Some individual dealers take an otherwise stock car and slap on a lot of F-sport aftermarket parts though.

Item 1 from your list makes more sense if you drove the first type of car... item 2 more sense if you drove the second....

Item 3- bigger brakes don't stop a car any shorter, that's physically impossible. It's possible they stopped the car with less brake pedal effort in non-full stops of course, there's lots of ways to do that, but in a full stop the car would stop in exactly the same distance it did on stock brakes.
Old 12-28-12, 06:41 AM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kurtz
You'll need to clarify this a bit-

lexus sells an "F-sport" 250... but it contains no actual F-sport parts. It mostly recycles the old "sport" (not F-sport) suspension from the 06-10 sport package. It doesn't use F-sport springs, shocks, sways, brakes, etc.

Some individual dealers take an otherwise stock car and slap on a lot of F-sport aftermarket parts though.

Item 1 from your list makes more sense if you drove the first type of car... item 2 more sense if you drove the second....

Item 3- bigger brakes don't stop a car any shorter, that's physically impossible. It's possible they stopped the car with less brake pedal effort in non-full stops of course, there's lots of ways to do that, but in a full stop the car would stop in exactly the same distance it did on stock brakes.
Readi it better, I clearly saidan "IS250 that has all the F-Sport upgrades at the Lexus dealer"
i didnt say an F-sport trim.

about item 3 you're not making any sense. i suggest you read it again. Did I mention anything about stopping shorter? No.
Old 12-28-12, 10:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Readi it better, I clearly saidan "IS250 that has all the F-Sport upgrades at the Lexus dealer"
i didnt say an F-sport trim.

That you know the difference is excellent, but there's literally dozens of threads where people post while clearly not knowing the difference between those two things...

including many many people thinking that when they bought their F-sport 250/350 they were getting the F-sport sway bars and F-sport springs and shocks, which they aren't. Hence why I asked you to clarify which you were meaning.

about item 3 you're not making any sense. i suggest you read it again. Did I mention anything about stopping shorter? No.

Right, that's why I said "It's possible they stopped the car with less brake pedal effort in non-full stops of course" but they couldn't have "slowed you down faster" than the stock brakes in general.

Slowed you down faster being the words you used.

Really more to avoid others thinking the F-sport brakes did anything useful in normal use other than look good and eat through pads faster than the stock brakes.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-28-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-03-13, 07:47 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Performance brakes will slow you down faster given the same amount of pedal effort up to the point where ABS is engaged
Old 01-03-13, 11:43 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aw04lfan
Performance brakes will slow you down faster given the same amount of pedal effort up to the point where ABS is engaged
exactly, some people haven't tried it thats why they say a brake upgrade is useless for daily driving.
Old 01-04-13, 06:44 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly, some people haven't tried it thats why they say a brake upgrade is useless for daily driving.
My stock brakes in the 350 are so tight, strong and responsive that I every time I REALLY have to use them I wonder how much more people need. They're by far and wide the best brakes that I've ever felt in any car. F-Sport big brake upgrades are a complete waste of money to me unless you've turned it into nothing but a track car.
Old 01-04-13, 09:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Mainly because they are useless for daily driving.

It's physically impossible for them to ever stop you shorter than the stock brakes will in such use.

Now, if you only can push the brake pedal 5% of the way down, they might stop you shorter than the stock brakes with 5% brake pedal... but unless there's something seriously wrong with your leg there's no reason to drive that way.

Both the stock system, and the most expensive BBK you can buy, have the same minimum stopping distance when you fully engage the brakes.

Just as physics requires them to.

If you want to stop any shorter you need to upgrade the tires, not the brakes.

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!