Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 07:54 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Still deciding coils of FSport shocks
If the suspension threads are any indication, most of the members will convince you to go get some coils - reason being if you're replacing both shocks and springs, it generally comes out to the same price as Megan EZs anyways.

What's preventing you from deciding? Any way we can help?
Old 01-16-13, 08:05 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
If the suspension threads are any indication, most of the members will convince you to go get some coils - reason being if you're replacing both shocks and springs, it generally comes out to the same price as Megan EZs anyways.

What's preventing you from deciding? Any way we can help?
I made a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...is250-awd.html

Seems like all the available coils for the AWD have some type of issue, and since I can't slam the car anyways (more AWD issues) might as well stick to springs. I already have H&R springs on, so shocks would be just the additional cost.

Old 01-16-13, 08:08 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always have to mod carefully touching suspension. i have tendonitis & carpel tunnel, will adding this rear sway bar make the turning radius of steering wheel feel stiffer? or does it just make the car feel more stable making turns?
Old 01-16-13, 08:22 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peyman
i always have to mod carefully touching suspension. i have tendonitis & carpel tunnel, will adding this rear sway bar make the turning radius of steering wheel feel stiffer? or does it just make the car feel more stable making turns?
It'll only stabilize handling when moving. It won't alter your turning radius or increase turning effort. Although, knowing this and where you live, were you the one selling the beautifully modded, white G37s on Craigslist a few months ago? If so, I presume someone bought it?

I made a thread about it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...is250-awd.html

Seems like all the available coils for the AWD have some type of issue, and since I can't slam the car anyways (more AWD issues) might as well stick to springs. I already have H&R springs on, so shocks would be just the additional cost.

Sorry to hear that. Looks like the safest bet is to buy the shocks. I tend to stay away from AWD threads because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to AWD cars.
Old 01-16-13, 08:58 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

It'll only stabilize handling when moving. It won't alter your turning radius or increase turning effort. Although, knowing this and where you live, were you the one selling the beautifully modded, white G37s on Craigslist a few months ago? If so, I presume someone bought it?
thanks for clearing that up. yes that was me, i was sad to see it go, but i couldnt mod it the way i wanted because steering effort was too hard on my hands, especially after lowering and adding heavy concave wheels. some lucky 16 year old got it as a birthday gift
Old 01-17-13, 08:23 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Looks like the safest bet is to buy the shocks. I tend to stay away from AWD threads because I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to AWD cars.
Yeah..sucks here in Canada, the snow gets pretty bad
Other members recommended getting BC with higher spring rate, so I may consider that. Still 1.5-2 fingers of wheel gap that I want to kill.
Old 01-20-13, 09:29 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I would say mostly yes to both of these. You steer with the same amount of force and steering wheel doesn't feel stiffer, but the steering feels stiffer and the car feels stiff/stable. It's easier and more stable when making turns because you're not flying all over the place.
Old 01-22-13, 04:29 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About to buy my F-Sport Sway bar set from Sewell install them myself to save money and learn from trying. The autoshop here on base has all the tools, lifts and facilities for us to use. I read the installation guide on the Sway bars but never did any suspension work before.

Do I need to remove the wheels before I do this? or just jack the car up with the wheels off the ground and enough room to move? Thank you.
Old 01-22-13, 07:24 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^No need to remove wheels, no need to have the wheels off the ground. I did mine with the car on ramps.

Lou
Old 01-22-13, 09:13 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joshohoho
About to buy my F-Sport Sway bar set from Sewell install them myself to save money and learn from trying. The autoshop here on base has all the tools, lifts and facilities for us to use. I read the installation guide on the Sway bars but never did any suspension work before.

Do I need to remove the wheels before I do this? or just jack the car up with the wheels off the ground and enough room to move? Thank you.
Just like what Lou said, it's relatively simple to do. However, having it on a lift will heavily reduce your workload and strain.
Old 01-23-13, 07:11 AM
Phresh2010
Instructor

Received 142 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah..sucks here in Canada, the snow gets pretty bad
Other members recommended getting BC with higher spring rate, so I may consider that. Still 1.5-2 fingers of wheel gap that I want to kill.
using springs on an awd IS will give you an uneven drop in the front and the rear bc of the c-clamp in the front

i had stechs springs before and the rear was way more dropped than my front

get coils, even if you dont slam it they still ride better than shocks and coils especially BC, and the price difference will be minimal
Old 01-25-13, 04:20 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

ordered rear sway bar from ebay
part # shows as PTR02-53080 and says " lexus is250 awd 2006-"
can anyone confirm if this will fit my 06 is350 rwd? thanks
Old 01-25-13, 05:00 PM
balanced
Driver

I'm pretty sure the AWD won't work for RWD
Old 01-25-13, 05:19 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by balanced
I'm pretty sure the AWD won't work for RWD
It most certainly will work, and is the correct rear bar for RWD and AWD applications.

See my quote below from another thread. BTW, this thread contains the same information, but this thread has become so large that you have to hunt it down.

Lou

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^The page you attached is the F-Sport Sway Bat set for RWD, not AWD. You need to go to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ar-thread.html

It will clear a lot of things up for you.

I posted there a couple of days ago. My post should answer your question.

OK I'll try to put this comment into prospective. It's been discussed before, but here it goes again.

Up until '09 The sway bar kit for the AWD IS250 was PN PTR02-53080 and consisted of only a rear bar. It was the same rear bar that came with the front/rear bar kit for the RWD. It was a 19mm solid bar.

In '10 Lexus dropped the prior AWD rear bar kit and replaced it with PN PTR02-53096 and this kit consisted of a front and rear bar. The dimensions are 30mm in front and 17.5mm in the rear.

Again, we are talking two different kits here. I have attached a chart to explain this.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ISway Bar Specs.pdf (26.5 KB, 203 views)
Old 01-27-13, 02:40 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

^^ thanks for clearing that up. yes this thread is too large to go through so appreciate the fast response

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!