Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP!!! Finished LS400 brake calipers but..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 02:28 AM
evileagle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your still not understanding the order...its not 1 side, then the other side. You have to start furthest from your Master Cylinder or in some cars, the abs unit. That means in our cars, if you are bleeding for the master cylinder, you will start with the rear right, then the rear left, then the front right, and finally the front left. If you dont do it in that exact order, then you are wasting your time cause the air will still be trapped in the lines.

Hope this helps
Old 12-06-08, 02:42 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle
your still not understanding the order...its not 1 side, then the other side. You have to start furthest from your Master Cylinder or in some cars, the abs unit. That means in our cars, if you are bleeding for the master cylinder, you will start with the rear right, then the rear left, then the front right, and finally the front left. If you dont do it in that exact order, then you are wasting your time cause the air will still be trapped in the lines.

Hope this helps
We did do it in that order, and still nothing. But we had a shop bleed the lines so its fine now. the brakes are amazing.
Old 12-06-08, 06:21 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since he ran his MC dry,dimes to donuts, he had air trapped in his MC the whole time.....
Old 12-06-08, 08:47 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Anytime your doing a job like that it is best to have a power bleeder... About a month ago I helped my friend change all four rotors on his Audi TT and brake lines as well. When it came to bleed the system we used a power bleeder punped it up to about 15psi and started from the back right wheel and while he worked his way closer to the Master Cylinder I made sure the pressure stayed up there at the 15psi mark.... Worked like a charm and completely got all the tiny air bubbles out of the system.
Old 12-06-08, 12:03 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evileagle

Hope this helps
technically from furthest to closest doesnt apply anymore with modern car's with ABS(I looked it up) however old timers swear by this. but we did eventually do it this way when the first couple of bleeds didnt work with the same results at the end. this isnt my first time ive done this, it was however my little brother's(sc300jz) first time. like i said in the earlier posts, we've gone through 3 big bottles with no signs of air, checked/double/triple/quadruple checked everything(4hrs of checking) with no signs of leakage. which was weird cuz fluid was splattered in the inner tire lining in a rotational way. this swap puzzles my mind how i thought we've done everything right but went soo wrong. so at the end it was just trapped stubborn air pockets that didnt want to come out!

I want to say thank you guys for all the help and advices.

Tom
Old 12-06-08, 01:32 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

.....the air pockets were trapped in your MC my friend.....please for the love of god, close this thread........
Old 12-06-08, 01:52 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

since out cars have the abs unit on the pass side the "standard" bleeding order does not apply. the wheel closest to the abs unit and thus the master cylinder as well, since everything goes from MC to ABS, is the right front.

for our cars the proper order is: RR, LR, RF, LF
Old 12-06-08, 04:15 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

master cylinder O-rings! buy a re-maned master cylinder and be on your way. After the install, bleed it all for a while and you'll be good to go.
Old 03-18-09, 06:34 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed all 4 TT brake calipers, and my pedal is mushy as well.

I rebuilt the brake master with an OEM rebuild kit(SUPER EASY), and I also bench bled the crap out of the brake master.

I had a friend come over and pump the brakes while we did furthest to closest to the master cylinder, and nadda...If I pump the pedal all 4 brakes hit hard for a second, but then it pushes past that, then the front brakes catch hard near the end of the pedal stroke.

I might have someone bleed the system with a machine to see if it makes a difference.