Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ls caliper upgrade or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 05:40 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls caliper upgrade or not

i've been doing some reading in here and now i'm not to sure if i want to do this upgrade.the sc can use some better brakes.but for those of you that done it was it worth it and did you feel and inprovement in stopping your car.i was thinking about going with steel brake lines and better pads and that should be just as good as changing over to ls calipers.all opinions are welcome thanks fellas.for those that wants to know it's a 97 sc 300
Old 12-06-08, 05:56 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

I did the upgrade last month and love them. Used R1 Slotted Rotors, Remanufactured Calipers from local parts shop, SS lines, EBC Red Stuff pads. They have already saved my a$$ once when i came up on stopped traffic on the interstate. Easy bolt-on job. I recommend speed bleeders though. Saved me a lot of time. Putting a Borla exhaust on (hopefully before the end of the year) and going to start shopping around for a strut tower bar with master cylinder stop on it.

Also if you've done your research i'm sure you know about the issue with the mounting bolts for the LS4 calipers. I bought the new bolts and had no issues. Someone else may be able to comment on how the SC bolts match up.
Old 12-06-08, 08:51 AM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

I have been inquiring about this same brake set up as well but this is the first time I have ever heard anything about a mounting bolts issue???? I would definitely like to know about this particular issue as well.......
Old 12-06-08, 01:24 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony85
I have been inquiring about this same brake set up as well but this is the first time I have ever heard anything about a mounting bolts issue???? I would definitely like to know about this particular issue as well.......
Yes the caliber bolts on the SC are a bit longer, its best just to go and buy the ls400 bolts at your local lexus or toyota dealerships they're $1.86 each(you need 4) or you can use washers which i dont recommend. The mounting bolt issues apply to the right side, left side mounts up perfectly but the right is somewhat a little bit off. What I did was screwed the bottom bolt just enough to hold the caliper(this gives enough freeplay to adjust the caliper). Then I used a mallet to hit the top of the caliper enough so the holes would line up just enough for thread catch. Once the bolt catches I alternated tightening the bolts several threads at a time. This is to ensure proper equal fitment and doesnt favor one sided mounting area.

Trust me on this, this will probably be one of the greatest upgrade you'll do, the stopping power on the ls4 brakes are AMAZING. I was driving at 60 and i told my brother that i was doing to do a hard stop, he said okay i didnt know he wasnt wearing his seatbelt and i slammed on the brakes and he flew and hit the glass. it was so funny, but you can TOTALLY feel the difference between the stockies and the LS4
Old 12-06-08, 01:49 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

definitely worth. if you do ss lines, motul rbf600 brake fluid, ebc pads, and slotted rotors(looks in to DBA and possibly girodisk) you will have one insane setup. minimum brake fade and very aggressive stopping.

im on a completely stock ls400 setup right now and its night and day compared to the stock.
Old 12-06-08, 01:52 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

When I first got my sc, I did the SS brake lines, and HP pads. Then I swapped out for the LS calipers with oem pads, it's a world of difference. Alot quieter and stopps much better.
Old 12-06-08, 02:29 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

ok thanks for responding fellas anyone else can still post their opinion especially anyone that was not satisfied with this ls caliper upgrade.
Old 12-06-08, 04:12 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I did this twice, on my first sc and on my current one... I love it. a great cheap upgrade to help your stopping. I now have Supra TT rears to go with the LS fronts and i love it. It looks alot better than those shi^^y stock brakes and gets the looks!! lol
Old 12-06-08, 05:11 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

I agree LS brakes have the better stopping power plus it is a alternative if you can't get/afford Supra brakes.
Old 12-07-08, 04:34 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

I FINALLY have completed a nightmare of a swap on my car. It is ALMOST a bolt on job the only mod that you need to do is a little grinding around the top caliper mounting hole. Also don't worry about aligning the little mounting tabs on the brake line. I had a less than stellar experience....

First the calipers that were sent to me were the wrong ones. next i order the R1 rotors and UPS delivered to the wrong address, so i personally went there to pick it up >. Then i go pick up some ls caliper bolts but they only had one in stock...or so it seemed. He gives me the new bolt and it looks NOTHING like what im after. It had no hex head to it and was too big to fit. I said screw it ill grind the old bolts. After finally piecing everything together, i was a bout to finish installing it until i cross threaded the Brake line bolt thus destroying the caliper. so i limped home and ordered another caliper. i bled it and thought i was all done. a month later though my brakes start to squeal really badly. Also i had a noise coming from the right front and it almost sounded like a ball joint. Just yesterday though i head a loud POP on the highway so i tried pulling over. i went for the brakes and just got a loud grinding response from it. Towed it home to find that the lower caliper bolt decided to make its way out and walk away on the highway. Just put the new bolt on a few hours ago (went to autozone for a bolt of the same size) and am back in business. my experience wasn't the best of them all but it hopfully done with and now i can go back to enjoying my LS400 brakes.
Old 12-07-08, 04:56 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StiCk3
I FINALLY have completed a nightmare of a swap on my car. It is ALMOST a bolt on job the only mod that you need to do is a little grinding around the top caliper mounting hole. Also don't worry about aligning the little mounting tabs on the brake line. I had a less than stellar experience....

First the calipers that were sent to me were the wrong ones. next i order the R1 rotors and UPS delivered to the wrong address, so i personally went there to pick it up >. Then i go pick up some ls caliper bolts but they only had one in stock...or so it seemed. He gives me the new bolt and it looks NOTHING like what im after. It had no hex head to it and was too big to fit. I said screw it ill grind the old bolts. After finally piecing everything together, i was a bout to finish installing it until i cross threaded the Brake line bolt thus destroying the caliper. so i limped home and ordered another caliper. i bled it and thought i was all done. a month later though my brakes start to squeal really badly. Also i had a noise coming from the right front and it almost sounded like a ball joint. Just yesterday though i head a loud POP on the highway so i tried pulling over. i went for the brakes and just got a loud grinding response from it. Towed it home to find that the lower caliper bolt decided to make its way out and walk away on the highway. Just put the new bolt on a few hours ago (went to autozone for a bolt of the same size) and am back in business. my experience wasn't the best of them all but it hopfully done with and now i can go back to enjoying my LS400 brakes.
wow that is an impressive fail. lol. not really your fault. just chit luck.
Old 12-07-08, 05:00 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Try to use permatex thread locker on your caliper bolts next time you take them off so that doesn't happen again.
Old 12-08-08, 05:36 AM
Enigma8246
Lead Lap

Threadlock=Lifesaver Literally
Old 12-08-08, 07:28 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
wow that is an impressive fail. lol. not really your fault. just chit luck.
LOL indeed

thread lock FTW here.
Old 12-08-08, 09:50 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I had all 4 of my bolts back out quite a bit a couple of days after I installed my Supra brakes... I guess I was tired and didn't torque it or there was oil on it.... either way, loctite!

Quick Reply: ls caliper upgrade or not