Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunking noise after daizen lca.uca install

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-08, 02:53 AM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise after daizen lca.uca install

I just installed my upper and lower front control arm bushings with daizen poly urethane bushings and after alignment and tightening, double checking and triple checking everything again I hear a clunking noise coming from the front floorboard. I thought the mechanic doing my alignment didn't tighten the the lca cam bolts tight enough so I did again. I didn't torque them but their suppose to be 166 lbs of torque and I'm sure they are. can this just be because they are not rubber and poly urethane instead? thanks guys. also might be having a lot of upgrades coming up this year :P
Old 12-10-08, 08:44 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

We all know that bad front LCA bushings will make alot of racket and is a very common problem with aging SC's. ANYTHING loose/worn/aging/ on the front end of your car will be prone to creaks/sweaks/groans/knocks etc. Simple things to check are power steering bushings,sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, FRAME CROSS member mounting bolts (torqued to proper specs), engine mounts, etc, etc. When you put your new front LCA's on did you remember to switch the" Lower Suspension Arm Bushing Stopper" (Lexus part #48657-24020, ONE per side) from your old front LCA and put it on the new front LCA's. A diagram showing this part is on the factory Lexus repair manual on page SA-39 VOL 1? It looks just like a smashed rubber cake donut and simply slides on and off by hand. I believe the purpose of it is to keep the rear most front LCA bushing from working loose within the void in the frame mount. This particular issue may not be your problem, but it appears that many people doing this DIY (front LCA) are forgetting to switch this bushing over to the new LCA's. Lexus made it and put it on for a reason.
Old 12-16-08, 04:48 PM
SC1984
Pole Position

I have the same clunking after I changed the bushings. I hear it when the steering wheel goes from lock to lock and sometimes when I break. I'm gonna change out the steering rack and rear bushings soon also.
Old 12-18-08, 08:47 PM
chrisalpho
Rookie

please make sure that the lca camber bolts are tightened to spec i believe they are 166 lbs of torque , i had the same problem and after i tightened them the problem went away
Old 12-18-08, 10:47 PM
davidv433
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would check your sway bar endlinks, i think mine are shot and its causing that noise. the clunking noise i hear on my car i think is the sway bar moving and hitting the floorboard. im gonna change the sway bar endlinks and the sway bar bushings and im almost positive that the noise is gonna go away.

i was thinking of swapping out my lca bushings also because i hate hearing that damn noise. but after reading your story it seems like my problem is not gonna go away, i'm gonna go the cheaper route first and see what happens.