Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration issues on lowering springs anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 08:47 AM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issues on lowering springs anyone?

Since I had my car lowered, I’ve been experiencing vibrating issues when the car is stopped at a stop or red light with my foot on the brake. It feels like the car vibrates a lot, and it's quite noticeable. However, when I put it in park, it feels perfectly fine. I had one of my friends in the passenger seat once, and she thought my seats are vibrating, lol. Also, when I accelerate, I can feel the car vibrate/rattle a bit, but once it gets rolling, it doesn't do that anymore. I'm not sure if the vibrating issue while stopped is because the car is lowered, or it's just me? I have F-sport springs btw, and alignment done last saturday.
Old 12-11-08, 10:58 AM
Tony221
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexboi250
Since I had my car lowered, I’ve been experiencing vibrating issues when the car is stopped at a stop or red light with my foot on the brake. It feels like the car vibrates a lot, and it's quite noticeable. However, when I put it in park, it feels perfectly fine. I had one of my friends in the passenger seat once, and she thought my seats are vibrating, lol. Also, when I accelerate, I can feel the car vibrate/rattle a bit, but once it gets rolling, it doesn't do that anymore. I'm not sure if the vibrating issue while stopped is because the car is lowered, or it's just me? I have F-sport springs btw, and alignment done last saturday.
i would have it looked at, i dont think springs would play a part in your car vibrating if you were at a stand still.
Old 12-11-08, 12:18 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, do you mean its vibrating like the car is about to stall?
Old 12-11-08, 12:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Interesting....

What kind of intake and/or exhaust combo are you running??

Joe Z
Old 12-11-08, 12:37 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

A Lexus tech once told me that lowering the AWD changes the angle of the drive shaft and can induce shaking....not sure if its true or not.
Old 12-11-08, 12:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
A Lexus tech once told me that lowering the AWD changes the angle of the drive shaft and can induce shaking....not sure if its true or not.
interesting

Mike is your car revving higher then normal? You are the same diameter front to rear? I cant recall with what tire and offset ect that you went with. I would get it looked at just in case its something serious. I dont see how the springs would do this unless something is damaged from lowering the car? I ran over something in the road that sounded like it ripped the underneath of my car out from it being so low and bottomed it out going over something Hopefully its nothing serious for you!

Hows everything else been?
Old 12-11-08, 01:07 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Check the top hat nuts and the strut nut. Torque them down to specs. Possibly not tightened correctly. It sounds like the strut nut is loose, which will give play and cause vibration and rattle sounds. Hopefully thats the issue, if not get it looked at, or take it back to where you got them installed.
Old 12-11-08, 04:36 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i remember reading somewhere that this is normal. it seems like the car is about to stall but its not. if that is what ur experiencing then its normal. otherwise check with the tech.
Old 12-11-08, 07:10 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the response guys. No the car does not vibrate like it's about to stall, but you can feel the vibration, i would say it's mild, but not to the point where i think there's something seriously wrong; however, you can definitly feel it and you can hear it too. But as soon as I let my foot off of the brake or when I put it in park, the vibration is gone; it only happens when my foot is on the brake. I had the dealership install the F-sport springs, and I still hear the clunk sound from the rear passenger side as well, not sure if they'll take care of that too. I will probably call them and have them look at it.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Interesting....

What kind of intake and/or exhaust combo are you running??

Joe Z
Joe Z, I'm currently running stock intake and exhaust, I took off my Joe Z intake pipe for the winter, I will put it back on summer time.

Originally Posted by passnu2
interesting

Mike is your car revving higher then normal? You are the same diameter front to rear? I cant recall with what tire and offset ect that you went with. I would get it looked at just in case its something serious. I dont see how the springs would do this unless something is damaged from lowering the car? I ran over something in the road that sounded like it ripped the underneath of my car out from it being so low and bottomed it out going over something Hopefully its nothing serious for you!

Hows everything else been?
Hey Mike, I've been pretty busy, but good, how's the new baby? and how's your new GS? I swapped my summer wheels out already, i'm running stock 17's right now, and yes, they are the same front and back, i did not get staggard.

Originally Posted by iialcii
Check the top hat nuts and the strut nut. Torque them down to specs. Possibly not tightened correctly. It sounds like the strut nut is loose, which will give play and cause vibration and rattle sounds. Hopefully thats the issue, if not get it looked at, or take it back to where you got them installed.
Thanks iialcii, I will ask them to look at this, any danger in driving the car if this is not tightened correctly?

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
i remember reading somewhere that this is normal. it seems like the car is about to stall but its not. if that is what ur experiencing then its normal. otherwise check with the tech.
Evil Teo, I hope that's the case, however, a lot of people are saying it shouldn't vibrate, so i'm not sure who to believe. I will probably ask my dealership to take a look at it, and if they say it's normal, i'll ask them to put it in writing, just incase if something goes wrong later because of this, and my warranty expires, i have some kind of proof that I did seek for help.
Old 12-16-08, 07:53 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

just an update guys, I got the car back from my dealership, and they fixed the clunk noise for me from the F-sport springs. I think there's a TSB for it now for anyone that installs their F-sport springs, they know about the issue as soon as i mentioned to them, and they installed rubber silencers on both rear sides of the car, and now that annoying sound is gone!

As for the vibration and rattle, they are not sure where it's coming from, but they said it's definitly not normal, and maybe is from the springs, they are still looking into the issue. I will have to bring the car back in a few week so we'll see what they say.
Old 05-29-09, 03:38 PM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Im gonna bump this up because I have the exact same problem after lowering. First was lowered on Eibach prokit and now coilovers, problem is the same. Vibration is very noticable and it will go away depending on the angle the car sits while sitting still in drive. It is very annoying and lexus told me it was suspension. Do any of you AWD people have this problem at all?
Old 05-29-09, 04:39 PM
lexchi
Rookie

I'm on road magnets, no vibrating here...
Old 05-29-09, 07:27 PM
Is300M.Q.
Driver

Hmmm thats odd... I know with my stock suspension it was smooth.