Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tokico Shocks HP series

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 06:01 PM
kevintq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico Shocks HP series

So has anyone tried these or know much about these??

from what i know they are new shocks like the F-sport

Old 12-11-08, 06:36 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, someone tell me these are shorter than OEMs
Old 12-11-08, 07:29 PM
vintagebob
Rookie

HPs are Tokico's bottom line shock below the adjustable Tokico Illumina.

Some light reading:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

F-Sport shocks are made by Bilstein.
Old 12-13-08, 04:49 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Yes, someone tell me these are shorter than OEMs
If they are like the Honda ones, they might be about 0.5" shorter
Old 12-17-08, 04:49 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The adjustable Tokico Illumina's are some of the best struts for imports out there. I haven't checked for our application but all my other cars have them. I'd love to get a set for the IS. Thanks for reminding me so I can look into it!

If you are looking at the HP's, they are bottom of the barrel as far as performance goes, so I'd price shop other brands. HPs are great stock alternatives!
Old 12-17-08, 06:46 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

according to tokico's 2008 catalog only the HP series shocks/struts are available for the 2is. no illumina's.

http://www.hitachi-hap-la.com/Tokico...08_CATALOG.pdf
Old 12-17-08, 08:54 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sinister2c
If they are like the Honda ones, they might be about 0.5" shorter
Thanks but I'm going coils now
Old 02-02-09, 04:05 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

the hp series are slightly stiffer then stock, which is what the F-sports are suppose to be. tokico makes great shocks, our OEM shocks are made by tokico. The HP series or the "blues" as some call it are great if u are looking for shocks/struts that will keep the stock ride characteristics. have them on my TL Type-S and they ride slightly stiffer then stock but not harsh.
Old 02-02-09, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagebob

Some light reading:

Awesome post! Too bad the kids aren't paying attention...
Old 02-03-09, 08:51 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagebob

Some light reading:

Wow! What an article. I'm going to have to read that again to absorb all that information better. Thanks for the link!

Javier
Old 02-03-09, 02:47 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

good link.
Old 02-03-09, 10:34 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damnnnn crazy link, it flipped everything i knew about shocks on its head ( i dont know much..) Do
So wait, the guy in the article says blistein shocks are some of the best, are our oem shocks made by blistein? or jsut the F-sport ones?

So from what gathered from this article, that blistein unadjustables > ZEAL coils ? is this true? I thought zeal were some of the best. So KW isnt that great either?

hmmm might have to get some F sport shocks after all.
Old 02-03-09, 10:47 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking about getting the HP series to replace my stock ones which are shot, I'm just hoping I can get stock ride quality out of these. That is one awesome article
Old 02-19-09, 01:41 AM
IS250DC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ndk83
Damnnnn crazy link, it flipped everything i knew about shocks on its head ( i dont know much..) Do
So wait, the guy in the article says blistein shocks are some of the best, are our oem shocks made by blistein? or jsut the F-sport ones?

So from what gathered from this article, that blistein unadjustables > ZEAL coils ? is this true? I thought zeal were some of the best. So KW isnt that great either?

hmmm might have to get some F sport shocks after all.
I've had experience with Bilsteins, Tokicos, Koni's and others. My personal rating, Tokico #1 for better than stock, definite improvement over stock, have them on my 2007 IS250 RWD, Koni Yellow's #2 choice, sportier, stiffer ride, Bilsteins #3 (depending on line) can be quite firm, not to my liking. Have install all these on both Lexus, BMW, VW, Honda and Acura's I've owned. I have not tried the F-Sport Bilsteins but venture to guess they are firmer than stock but softer than their brand. Guessing...
Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-09, 05:38 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS250DC
I've had experience with Bilsteins, Tokicos, Koni's and others. My personal rating, Tokico #1 for better than stock, definite improvement over stock, have them on my 2007 IS250 RWD, Koni Yellow's #2 choice, sportier, stiffer ride, Bilsteins #3 (depending on line) can be quite firm, not to my liking. Have install all these on both Lexus, BMW, VW, Honda and Acura's I've owned. I have not tried the F-Sport Bilsteins but venture to guess they are firmer than stock but softer than their brand. Guessing...
Hope this helps.
I would like to second IS250DC's post. I have the EXACT same opinion as he does with similar experiences with my SC400. Now I can't remember off the top of my head which model of shock I had, but thats a moot point.

I seriously doubt most people will do any intensive racing with their IS in a track only environment. That being said, the best "performance" shock will most likely never be the best streetable shock. Tokico's have been, bar none, the best stock replacement shock for maintaing stock ride feel with a noticable gain in performance for me over several different car models/types. They are my "go-to" replacement when I get a new car. The Koni's are quite stiff and became an issue for me over rough city roads - just not comfortable over the long term and failed often with potholes, so rather expensive to maintain. Bilsteins were an awesome track shock/strut but were almost dangerous in a street application. I could hit a road reflector in the road in a turn and the rear would break loose- Very dangerous......however awesome, and best choice for the Auto-X's which I most commonly do on weekends. Driving to and from the track was a "kidney-dislocating" experience. If you are a recreational racer you will quickly find out that racing your daily driver will always be fun, but not competative. In order to win, you pretty much need to have a track tuned car which would be impractable on the street but there is nothing to say you can't keep it as your weekend fun-run on the street.

How you intend to drive the car will directly affect your choice in suspension. For most who drive 90% of the time as a daily driver in public streets, I have nothing but good things to say about any line of Tokicos that will fit our cars. If you want better performance- go get a swaybar set. It will make the world a better place rather than buying dangerously stiff shocks designed for extreme or hard core conditions......which you most likely will never experience or experience so infrequently that it doesn't constitute the cost/discomfort level.

Furthermore, it doesn't matter how much money you thow at a the car, what test data you have, or what the guy next door says, the car will only perform as good as the driver behind the wheel. Always start small and work your way up. Thats just my .02 cents from the experience I have gained as an avid autocrosser for over 20 years now!

Quick Reply: Tokico Shocks HP series