Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

$700 for Lower Ball Joints??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-09, 06:15 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it only the lower that goes bad, or should one look to change the lower and upper for both sides at once, thus 4 of them?

Thanks
Old 04-22-09, 02:47 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ball joints and tie rods....either Sewell or Carson...ask for online discount codes.

Pitman arm puller... $15 from Autozone.

Install....$0...Did it myself...easy....or get some friends to help....just buy them lunch.

Alignment....$90 for 4 wheel alignment.
Old 05-01-09, 07:28 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine replaced as well, but didn't do a wheel alignment. I feel the car will suddenly pull to the left or right, sometimes strongly, so it is not a progressive vibration like a wheel balancing. Is this a classic symptom of needing a wheel alignment? I should mention that I had some tires mounted without balancing, but the rims were balanced. Thanks
Old 05-03-09, 07:48 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

changing tires does not affect the lignment but after changing the ball joints you should really get it checked if it does not drive straight
Old 05-03-09, 10:21 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, I read up on wheel alignment anseems exactly what I need, as car will suddenly pull to one side. This should be standard practice with any front end work? Seems like common maintenace as well, as there can be wear and tear?
Old 05-03-09, 05:20 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Ya, I read up on wheel alignment anseems exactly what I need, as car will suddenly pull to one side. This should be standard practice with any front end work? Seems like common maintenace as well, as there can be wear and tear?
Pep Boys, $70. They were off a full degree each. What a world of difference. This should be mandatory for anyone doing any ball joint replacement.
Old 10-10-11, 06:25 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Got mine replaced as well, but didn't do a wheel alignment. I feel the car will suddenly pull to the left or right, sometimes strongly, so it is not a progressive vibration like a wheel balancing. Is this a classic symptom of needing a wheel alignment? I should mention that I had some tires mounted without balancing, but the rims were balanced. Thanks
It's been only 2 1/2 years when I replaced both my LBJ's, and this past weekend my driver's side popped!

Scary, I don''t know why or how, but it wasn't long - so now changing caster and upper control arms as well.
Old 10-11-11, 08:31 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your ball joints at your local auto parts store or online. Moog is a good brand. I don't know why you guys keep giving the stealership more of your money.
Old 10-11-11, 08:38 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oslouie
Get your ball joints at your local auto parts store or online. Moog is a good brand. I don't know why you guys keep giving the stealership more of your money.
Ok, but that doesn't address the fact that they gave way in less than 3 years - cause of my caster arm?
Old 10-12-11, 08:14 AM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, but that doesn't address the fact that they gave way in less than 3 years - cause of my caster arm?
Yes, change your caster arm bushings.
Old 10-12-11, 08:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

your LBJ DID NOT give out because you do or do not have a bad castor bushing! BTW just change the bushing, no sense in changing the whole arm both carson,sewell and TM engineering (when you can get them from them....latest report is they shipping on time but do your own homework here) carry the replacement bushings. Carson/Sewell ONLY sells the castor arm bushing and TM sells the whole front control arm kit.....

this is one of the reasons i was telling you to JUST pick one thread about your whole ordeal.... your getting like 9 million responses and FWIW alot of people on here dont know anything about their car nor have they ever physically worked on their car. (yes their are times i dont have time to do my own work and i outsource it to a local member, but i work 2 jobs and have a life so im a tad busy sometimes) im not directly referring to anyone in particular, although i have a HUGE list of names on the top of my head,my personal advice on people's opinions on here, take what most people on here tell you "with a grain of salt". im not saying ONLY older members know info and the answers cause (no offense) you disproving that theory but alot of these young kids act/think they know everything and the more you "read" from them the more and more they show you they dont know anything at all.....BAMT im not saying or claiming to know everything, i just TRY not to even speak if i dont know what im talking about

Last edited by sakataj; 10-12-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-12-11, 11:51 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Then why did my LBJ's give out in under 3 years?

I appreciate it, I might have spent more than I needed to on the caster arm vs bushings, excellent point. As for UCA, I wasn't going to go through the hassle of just the bushings.

I am upset though that I forgot to change the tie rods, or can I change the bushings alone as well?
Old 10-12-11, 12:27 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Then why did my LBJ's give out in under 3 years?

I appreciate it, I might have spent more than I needed to on the caster arm vs bushings, excellent point. As for UCA, I wasn't going to go through the hassle of just the bushings.

I am upset though that I forgot to change the tie rods, or can I change the bushings alone as well?
i dunno why there could be MANY reasons for it, your ride height, how you drive,the roads around you,they could have been made incorrectly.... but its not from the castor bushing being bad.

the UCA you couldnt/cant just do the bushings they UCA has to be replaced....IF it was needed, if it didnt have play i wouldnt have replaced it though, no bushings on tie rods....
Old 10-12-11, 01:02 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
i dunno why there could be MANY reasons for it, your ride height, how you drive,the roads around you,they could have been made incorrectly.... but its not from the castor bushing being bad.

the UCA you couldnt/cant just do the bushings they UCA has to be replaced....IF it was needed, if it didnt have play i wouldnt have replaced it though, no bushings on tie rods....
like you said, not sure who is right or wrong, many posts on replacing UCA and the daizin bushings etc etc

what's done is done, I even changed the struts!
Old 10-13-11, 03:34 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj

what did you mean no bushings on tie rods?

Quick Reply: $700 for Lower Ball Joints??