Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My Dealership Refuses To Change My Brake Pads (TSIB)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 12:54 AM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Dealership Refuses To Change My Brake Pads (TSIB)

Three attempts to get my brakes changed via TSIB and the dealership still will not do it.

First attempt 9,000 miles on the car (last year) they told me if they changed the brake pads my car's braking performance wouldn't be as good. I believe them and said it's ok just perform the other services

Second attempt 6 months ago after reading on the boards that the TSIB pads are just as good as the stock IS350 pads, I was set on changing the pads. The pads were sqeaking like crazy (due to the glaze i believe all of us have this issue) with only 12,000 miles on the car and I couldn't take the dust anymore, so I took it in for service and told them to do the TSIB. Everytime I showed my dealership the paper I printed online, they were almost shocked and said they had never seen it before. I come to pick up my car, and on the service report it said they machined my rotors and didn't touch my pads to get rid of the sqeaking... Ok fine maybe it was my fault for saying the brakes sqeak and I would like to do this TSIB. i guess they only heard sqeak.. within 2 weeks the brakes began to sqeak once again. According to the report the "mechanics" said that I have 60% life left on the front brake pads.

Third attempt (Monday of this Week) car has 17,000 miles (became my daily driver) I take my car in for service and to fix some issues. This time they better perform the TSIB. I dropped my car off on Monday. Dealer calls me today at 8 and tell me the car will be ready at 11. Great "did you guys fix the brakes", service man, "i'm not sure but i believe they did". I go to pick up my car. According to my service man the "mechanic" refused to change my brake pads, to poor performing brake pads.. i just shook my head. I've had enough of this.

Can the dealership refuse to deny you of the TSIB? I have a busy schedule and it's hard for me to take days off to take my car in for service, that is why i shoot for every 6 months. It's very frustrating to say the least. Anybody else have similar issues? I am going to go to a different dealership from now on. I've had enough of these guys. Last year my car was at the dealership for 2 weeks and my old service guy never called me to give me updates on my car once. I was always the one calling to check up on it and the douchebag never returned my calls until I called him one outta my ten calls and he actually answered. Needless to say that same guy is now the service manager. The dealership is Keyes Lexus on Van Nuys . Great dealership, beautiful building, extremely generous, worst service ever.
Old 12-18-08, 01:13 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

i know luck varies for the brake tsib, but they really should have changed it. i went in with about 14k on my car didnt even mention tsib n my service adviser said "ok we'll take care of it".

try calling lexus and complain
Old 12-18-08, 01:21 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

Weird. I just had mine changed out at Keyes with no problems or questions asked.
My guess is this: Perhaps they single you out because your car is modded? Perhaps you waited too long to have them changed out? When I was talking to the mechanic a while back, his words to me about the issue were, "We can change them out, just don't wait until 10k miles to have it done." Or third, the TSB does not cover all model years. I think 2006 is covered, so that cancels that theory out.
The service guy I delt with seemed very helpful and genuine. I am surprised you are having problems there.
Old 12-18-08, 01:31 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you shouldn't mention anything about brake squeak since that isn't what the tsib addresses. simply state and stress that you are not happy about the excessive brake dust and u want to switch to the less brake dust alternative per the tsib.
Old 12-18-08, 02:47 AM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Fizz- the service guy that i have NOW is an amazing guy. He did all he could but it was the people in the shop that were giving him a hard time. The people in the back trip me out cause when I took the car in 6 months ago they did the crankshaft tsib or whatever for me without me even mentioning it. When they did that they left a piece of paper in there somewhere because a month or so after I got the car back I realized that my ac wasn't blowing hard. When I complained about it this week they said a piece of paper was stuck in the ac blower. I can't point figures or make conclusions but it is hard for me to believe a piece of paper from the road somehow got stuck on my ac blower.

I also forgot to mention that on the service report they stated my brakes have 70% more life to them when six months ago they said they have 60% life.
Old 12-18-08, 03:25 AM
ApoK
Rookie

go to a different dealer. problem solved.
Old 12-18-08, 06:03 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, find a different dealer.

Preferably one where the mechanics aren't dumb enough to think that brake pads change braking distance.

Ideally one where the employees actually follow the instructions of their bosses too.
Old 12-18-08, 06:12 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can't go to a different dealer, bring the TSB form with you. If they won't do it, go to the GM and have him explain why.
Old 12-18-08, 06:43 AM
Gr8Dane
Rookie

When I took my car in to Sewell at 20K I had really bad squeaking that started at 10K. I told them I knew about the TSIB but I wasn't concerned about the brake dust, I just wanted my brakes to stop squeaking. I didn't buy at nice car to squeak at every stoplight that I pull up to.

I was told that they have two kinds of brake pads. High performance that cause a lot of brake dust and not as high of performance that squeak. I told them I don't care about the brake dust, just STOP the squeaking. They redid all of my brakes..pads and rotors under warranty. But...I think they put the squeaky ones back on because I have 25K on my car now and they are squeaking AGAIN and I do not brake hard or abuse the brakes. I'll be going in over the holidays to get the squeak taken care of again.

Merry Christmas,
Dane
Old 12-18-08, 06:47 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to a different dealer. I just got a call 10 mins ago about my car, i also had that annoying squeak and they changed my rotor and did the TSIB.
Old 12-18-08, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody actually found the TSB and TSB# in question?
Old 12-18-08, 08:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Has anybody actually found the TSB and TSB# in question?
Here it is for 06-07 brake dust.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IS Brake Dust TSIB.pdf (22.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 12-18-08, 09:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tex2670
Here it is for 06-07 brake dust.
Thanks tex, this should work fine for my 07 IS350 when I have next service.
Old 12-18-08, 10:35 AM
acefalcon2
Lexus Champion

soo... 250 doesn't get the treatment??
Old 12-18-08, 11:19 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Use the search features, already link to pdf for 2008 ISx50 TSB

Quick Reply: My Dealership Refuses To Change My Brake Pads (TSIB)