Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H & R springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-09, 12:46 PM
Silver'04
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blklexo818
wait a sec, you guys are saying that bumpstops do have something to do with the drop? ..meaning if you cut them, your car will go lower? i didn't remove mine, or even cut them and i have an uneven drop..driver side has no finger gap at all, other side has a gap and its freaking annoying
The bump stops won't change/affect the ride height, but it's mainly there to prevent your suspension from bottoming out if you hit a big pothole or something.
Old 03-16-09, 12:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver'04
The bump stops won't change/affect the ride height, but it's mainly there to prevent your suspension from bottoming out if you hit a big pothole or something.
but it's mainly there to prevent your suspension from bottoming out the shock and damaging it internally if you hit a big pothole or something.

Corrected for truth.
Old 03-16-09, 01:13 PM
blklexo818
Pole Position

i see, still going to get coilovers to fix this error..sucks cuz the driver such a perfect drop
Old 03-16-09, 07:17 PM
Nellyhx
Pole Position

I actually think it feels like stock... except when I go over speed bumps, then its a tiny bit bumpier than stock. But normal driving (although i've only had the springs for 2 days) feels like I didnt even lower it.

Here are some pics

Old 03-22-09, 05:59 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright all, for those following this thread and those researching for future reference here are my finding:

Cutting bumpstops =

Ride Quality is much improved. Cut about 1 inch from fronts and about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the rears. (they are bigger). Anywho, I don't get that bottomed out feel anylonger. Ride quality is not stock but I'm no longer horrified with my IS. All back to square and I'm glad I went with H&R springs.

I highly suggest cutting your bumpstop if you go w/ H&R's. These OE shocks are not meant to ride 1&1/2-2" lower and show it. It felt as if there was no more movment/room for the shocks to navigate.

I talked to Eibach tech's and they recommend cutting your bumpstops for their springs (and they don't drop as much as H&R's). I also talked to Road Magnets Springs tech and they also said to cut em' down... that, along with my experience of a harsh ride, then after cutting the ride improving - all leads me to believe H&R officially states not to cut em' to save their own a$$ as its the 'safe' thing to recommend. Little dissapointed I had to go through all this (paying my tech to take apart my rear suspension AGAIN! just to take out a stupid piece of rubber) - - (Front bumpstops could be accessed through dustcap, rears, nada, had to take apart rear suspension).

Anyway, there you go. Hope it helps.
Old 03-22-09, 07:30 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I want to see in person what your drop looks like lol. *sigh* owning AWD is such an hassle, there is such limited amount of resource.
Old 03-23-09, 01:21 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

why wont springs off the rwd IS fit?
Old 03-23-09, 06:27 AM
vtrusty
Rookie

noob question, do you need anything special to cut the bump stops?

any pictures?
Old 03-23-09, 08:48 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

anything that cuts rubber..i'd use a saw and cut it up
Old 03-23-09, 09:52 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

If you plan on going back to stock, you'd better not be cutting those bumpstops.

Again, H&R specifically says in their instructions. DO NOT CUT THE BUMPSTOP. It doesn't matter if Eibach tells you to do it. It only applies to their springs. Even TEIN tells you to not cut it.
Old 03-23-09, 09:58 AM
blklexo818
Pole Position

right, because i dont think the dealer would even sell the bumpstop alone
Old 03-23-09, 09:59 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

I think a member tried buying the fronts, but the dealer only sells the rear bumpstops individually.
Old 03-23-09, 11:00 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kayotik
If you plan on going back to stock, you'd better not be cutting those bumpstops.

Again, H&R specifically says in their instructions. DO NOT CUT THE BUMPSTOP. It doesn't matter if Eibach tells you to do it. It only applies to their springs. Even TEIN tells you to not cut it.
Right, well I don't plan on going back to stock so no worries

Regarding H&R's instructions, how can a company make a blanket statement such as this? They say not to cut the stops for every application. This is irresponsible. I was ridding my stops. Cut em', now my ride is much better... so I could give a hoot what H&R states.

Its plain and simple, your reducing your suspeinsion travel by putting on lowering springs... you have to make up for it somewhere. Cutting down (not completely off so you still have protection for those huge pot holes) the bumpstops is the only solution apart from buying new, shorter shocks all together.
Old 03-23-09, 12:04 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

I just called H&R (Toll Free: 888-827-8881).

Per the agent at H&R: "Do not cut the bump stops if the instructions told you not to. A lot of R&D have been put into the springs, and we found that leaving the bump stops intact was the best setup. If you want to cut them, that is your personal preference, but we highly recommend you leave them alone."
Old 03-23-09, 12:31 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kayotik
I just called H&R (Toll Free: 888-827-8881).

Per the agent at H&R: "Do not cut the bump stops if the instructions told you not to. A lot of R&D have been put into the springs, and we found that leaving the bump stops intact was the best setup. If you want to cut them, that is your personal preference, but we highly recommend you leave them alone."
So you left yours, I cut mine, everybody's happy

Quick Reply: H & R springs