Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H & R springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-09, 06:17 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any of you AWD guys getting the common "vibration" i've been reading about with the H&R setup. this is the only thing holding me back from getting them.
Old 09-28-09, 09:31 PM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

I'm rockin the Teins w/ NO problems
Old 09-28-09, 11:15 PM
k4fu
Lead Lap

soooo....to cut or not to cut?!!

i have an awd and am debating between s techs and h&r's!!
Old 09-29-09, 08:11 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't cut. premature wearing of the shocks due to extended travel, blew mine at 7K miles.

H&R's have the best looking drop in person, period.

EDIT: Best looking drop for springs.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 09-29-09 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 03:20 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dubsesd
any of you AWD guys getting the common "vibration" i've been reading about with the H&R setup. this is the only thing holding me back from getting them.
in addition to my first question, what kind of struts/shocks are recommended with the H&R sports? i rather do it the first time instead of waiting for my oem ones to blow. also, the ride will definetly be better with shorter struts/shocks that match the spring rates anyways.
Old 09-29-09, 04:28 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

go f sport shocks
Old 09-29-09, 05:15 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

in addition to my first question, what kind of struts/shocks are recommended with the H&R sports? i rather do it the first time instead of waiting for my oem ones to blow. also, the ride will definetly be better with shorter struts/shocks that match the spring rates anyways.
I'll help you out and say one word: COILOVER!

the more indepth explaination - You have an AWD which gives you ZERO choices for shocks. You can get OEM Lexus shocks or.... OEM Lexus shocks. The AWD gets little support and you cannot use F-Sport shocks, they are RWD only.

My wife drives an AWD which used to be on H&R's and the ride Su*ked! Those shocks do not like being riden on lower then stock height, TRUST ME! She even blew a shock.

In short, go with BC Racing Coilovers made for the AWD. If you were going to shell out the bucks for a spring/shock set up, might as well get a decent set of coilovers which is a spring/shock built-in-one. AND you get height adjustability, dampening control and braging rights that your on coilovers... lol.

TRUST ME, do NOT do springs. I made the same mistake with springs. Get coilovers first and do it right the first time!
Old 09-29-09, 05:33 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

^ i understand what you are saying. i have a vw jetta slammed on coils and a cayenne on custom air-ride. im not yet familiar with the 2IS gen's very well, and since the is250 is my daily and winter car, i wasnt even considering coilovers. if there are no shocks that go well with the H&R's or simular spring drop, i guess i will have to consider coilovers. how do your coils ride compared to the stock ride? i really want to keep this simple and just get rid of wheel gap, and retain a comfortable ride.
Old 09-29-09, 06:38 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

^ i understand what you are saying. i have a vw jetta slammed on coils and a cayenne on custom air-ride. im not yet familiar with the 2IS gen's very well, and since the is250 is my daily and winter car, i wasnt even considering coilovers. if there are no shocks that go well with the H&R's or simular spring drop, i guess i will have to consider coilovers. how do your coils ride compared to the stock ride? i really want to keep this simple and just get rid of wheel gap, and retain a comfortable ride.
They are very nice honestly. I have them at 15 clicks (0-30) and the standard spring rates 10K front, 8K rear is pretty soft. Good 'Lexus' type of ride. I'll tell you this, compared to springs and a stock shocks they are a DREAM to drive on!

I own both an IS250awd (which my wife drives) and an IS350, my daily driver. BOTH had lowering springs (F-Sport, H&R & Eibach). Coilovers drive better then any of the above springs... even on the IS350 RWD which drives better then the AWD.

Go with BC Racing Coilovers made for the AWD, 10K/8K and you'll be a happy camper.

Honestly, I didn't listen to people preaching coilovers my first couple times here on CL. I thought they all thought they were 'cool' because they had coilovers. That and the uneven drop I could live with.

Well I now, THOUSANDS of dollars later realize I should of gone w/ Coilovers in the first place. Not only for ride quality, but for longevity (BCR Coilovers only cost $95 bucks for a cartridge replacement), and also for precisce ride height on all 4 corners. With springs, you'll experience the nagging 'Lexus Lean' which looks ugly.
Old 09-29-09, 06:49 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

awesome, thanks for the information man. what is the cartridge replacement, and when is this required to replaced? (in terms of km/miles)
Old 09-29-09, 07:14 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

awesome, thanks for the information man. what is the cartridge replacement, and when is this required to replaced? (in terms of km/miles)
new shock catridge... they say about 25K miles or so... they just ship you a new shock if one blows and you can replace one at a time
Old 09-29-09, 08:10 PM
dubsesd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
new shock catridge... they say about 25K miles or so... they just ship you a new shock if one blows and you can replace one at a time
cool, my H&R ultra-lows dont have anything like this. i thought you would need a new shock if one of them blew. do you have these coils on your AWD, or just the 350?
Old 09-29-09, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kayotik
If you plan on going back to stock, you'd better not be cutting those bumpstops.

Again, H&R specifically says in their instructions. DO NOT CUT THE BUMPSTOP. It doesn't matter if Eibach tells you to do it. It only applies to their springs. Even TEIN tells you to not cut it.
It's unlikely anybody would notice at trade or sale, therefore not worth worrying about.
Old 09-29-09, 10:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
After much research, it seems H&R only says not to cut the bumpstops becuase that the 'safe' thing to recommend on their part... it literally feels like I'm bottoming out my shocks for every little bump.

In my mind, it doesn't make sense to NOT cut them... you just lost about 1.5 inches of travel from your suspension... only way to get that back is to cut an inch or so from your bumpstop. There's still the top part of the bumpstop left, so if it ever extends down that are, you still have some protection. Its a trade off really.

Your bring up a good point on cutting bumpstops.

I have Eibach 350's and they have separate instructions just for the IS350 with diagrams just for the cutting of bumpstops on this car.
Old 09-30-09, 06:57 AM
Eldr1dgE
Driver

Alright guys and gals...i've been reading through this thread which is pretty old btw, but i do believe that i need to chime in on some of the responses...i have h&r's on my stock shocks which is an 06 and i have a very comfortable ride without cutting the bumpstops...i don't bottom out on bumps and i have 19s..i feel like the ride is very close to the stock ride with a sportier feeling..
- if you cut the bump stops you then put your shocks in danger of failing because they are not meant to travel that far..
- if you are bottoming out on bumps and even have shock failure then there may be a defect in the shocks or more likely the suspension was not preloaded before tightening all the nuts and bolts that were loosened..by preloading i mean that you raise up the control arms with a separate jack so that the cars weight is preloaded on the suspension and not just sitting on jack stand points on the car...

i have lowered many cars in my lifetime and no shock failure has resulted..i want people to know that you won't get a horrible ride if you just get springs as long as they are installed correctly..i think there are a lot of people here that would agree with me..

Quick Reply: H & R springs