Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I want to add a second air tank (air ride)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09 | 10:57 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Naw WIDE open for me! I couldnt figure out why people would want to go slower.... until I began typing... Since Ive got 22's, I dont have to worry about the body kit like you guys cause the car sits on the rim! I guess I might have to get some reducers as well once I get the 20's on..
Old 01-13-09 | 03:04 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

One thing to keep in mind with the air tanks. Even if your running water traps, it will not collect all the water and if your running a regular steel tank, down the road it will rust and cause your valves to get gummed up, or even worse, it can cause tank failure.

For the compressor/tank size. Keep in mind that if your going from 4 gallons to 11 gallons if it took 45 seconds before to refill, it will take over 2 minuates to re-fill. So yes, your compressors won't turn on as often, but when they do it will take alot longer.

The 480's maximum recommended tank size is 1 compressor per 5 gallons. We always run double so the compressors don't run for a long time.

Typically most people would like to hit the switches often instead of non stop and thats where you want the refill time, not the tank size.
Old 01-13-09 | 07:04 PM
trunkflapp
Pole Position

I can understand the last sentence of your post, but is that not kinda the same thing? Also, could you not set the compressors to re-fill from a lower psi (to start back up) on dual tanks.... I plan on being at either 8 or 9 gallons on dual 480's....

Quincy
Old 01-13-09 | 07:47 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

yeah, i'm a little unsure of the "hit switches often instead of non-stop".

Well anyways, I'm no expert but it sounds like he's saying exactly what I've been thinking this whole time. If you want more play time you should have a bigger tank. Although, you need to make sure they fill up quick as well. For the most part. For me I would just rather run another set of dual 380 to my 5 gallon tank.

From what people been saying in this thread that he's already running dual 380/480's and that should be good enough for the added tank. Which in my opinion he should run dual compressors for each tank. So 4 compressor all in all or 1 AZ per tank. 1 AZ is pretty much equal to dual compressors.
Old 01-13-09 | 09:31 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by dRo15

Well anyways, I'm no expert but it sounds like he's saying exactly what I've been thinking this whole time. If you want more play time you should have a bigger tank. Although, you need to make sure they fill up quick as well. For the most part. For me I would just rather run another set of dual 380 to my 5 gallon tank.

From what people been saying in this thread that he's already running dual 380/480's and that should be good enough for the added tank. Which in my opinion he should run dual compressors for each tank. So 4 compressor all in all or 1 AZ per tank. 1 AZ is pretty much equal to dual compressors.
not true they are about the same as the viairs
Old 01-14-09 | 05:18 AM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

I might be wrong but from what I've read that seems to be the case. 1 AZ is just as fast as a most dual Viair setup.

These #'s are from Viair's site. My dual 380's is almost 3 mins. though to refill from 165 to 200 PSI.
Dual Viair 380's
165 To 200 PSI
(Recovery Rate) 2 Min. 6 Sec.

Dual Viair 480's
165 To 200 PSI
(Recovery Rate) 1 Min. 15Sec.

I couldn't find the refill time on the AZ compressors on their site but a post from another site back in 05.

Originally Posted by DJDAudio
ok cool info,

( one AZ comp 110-145 is 3 min 14 sec on a 12 gal, 35amps

(2) viair 450C's 110-145 2 min 40 sec on a 12 gal, 40amps

This bad boy is almost as fast as 2 450's
Granted that was back then and the difference was about 35 seconds from 1 AZ to about a dual 450. Since then Viair has the dual 480 and AZ has came out with another generation compressor.

I could be wrong but I would like to try the AZ's.
Old 01-14-09 | 09:46 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

Originally Posted by trunkflapp
I can understand the last sentence of your post, but is that not kinda the same thing? Also, could you not set the compressors to re-fill from a lower psi (to start back up) on dual tanks.... I plan on being at either 8 or 9 gallons on dual 480's....

Quincy
Basically what it means... Let’s say that right now when you lift your car it just turns on the compressors and runs for a minute. If you double your tank volume, when you lift your car twice, then it will run for two minutes. If you triple the tank volume then after the 3rd lift, the compressors will run for 3 minutes.
Old 01-14-09 | 10:07 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

I might be wrong but from what I've read that seems to be the case. 1 AZ is just as fast as a most dual Viair setup.

These #'s are from Viair's site. My dual 380's is almost 3 mins. though to refill from 165 to 200 PSI.
Dual Viair 380's
165 To 200 PSI
(Recovery Rate) 2 Min. 6 Sec.

Dual Viair 480's
165 To 200 PSI
(Recovery Rate) 1 Min. 15Sec.

I couldn't find the refill time on the AZ compressors on their site but a post from another site back in 05.

Granted that was back then and the difference was about 35 seconds from 1 AZ to about a dual 450. Since then Viair has the dual 480 and AZ has came out with another generation compressor.

I could be wrong but I would like to try the AZ's.
Specs:
Dual 380 - 2.98 CFM @ 0 PSI
Dual 380 - 32 Max Amp Draw
$299.95-319.95

Dual 480 - 3.53 CFM @ 0 PSI
Dual 480 - 39.3 Max Amp Draw
$379.95-399.95

Single AZ - 2.85 CFM @ Free Flow **Not from AZ's website, they have no Spec. But, that spec is off of two websites that i saw that carry AZ.
Single AZ - 35A Max Amp Draw.
Average price online 299-319

We haven't personally used AZ so I am not speaking from personal experience. We stock and carry the Viair's because for the price in our option, you can't beat the combo pack's that they have. Not to mention the fail-safe backup of the 2 compressors vs. the 1.

Yes, According to the spec, a single AZ puts out more air (at free flow) then any single 200 psi Viair compressor, but, it does not put out more air then either of the dual 200 combo pack compressors do.

The AZ will pull more amps then the dual 380, but less then the dual 480.

Please don't get me wrong, I am very partial to Viair because that is what we carry, but, i am trying to be as un bias as i can and just going by specs.
Old 01-14-09 | 10:13 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

The end result will be the same without adding more compressors; you will have 3 lifts, with 3 mins to fill it back up.

Of course, the answer is to add more compressors, but, besides the cost, for the Lexus make sure that you upgrade the grounds. I would suggest running a better ground from the engine to the batt/body and run a separate ground back to where the compressors are grounded. Also possibly look into a larger alternator because while the compressors are running your pulling aprox 80 amps!
Old 01-14-09 | 04:35 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks 4 ur inputs. When it's time I think I'll just upgrade to more compressors cuz I don't have to much more room for another tank.

Also, I just found out about the big 3. From the audio guys which is I think what you were saying about adding grounds and such.
Old 01-14-09 | 04:46 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

Thanks 4 ur inputs. When it's time I think I'll just upgrade to more compressors cuz I don't have to much more room for another tank.

Also, I just found out about the big 3. From the audio guys which is I think what you were saying about adding grounds and such.

Your welcome!

Yes thats it, grounds are VERY important, and most people will over look it!

Good Luck!