Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TSIB Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 01:34 AM
holYcOO
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSIB Brake Pads

I was wondering if I could still go to the dealership even if i have 27k miles on the car for the TSIB Excesssive Front Brake pads?
Old 01-04-09, 01:48 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not..I went in at aroud 7k and they were a bit hesitant already. Plus, at your mileage front brake pads are probably recommended anyway
Old 01-04-09, 02:12 AM
holYcOO
Pole Position

oh? I've been reading past threads and some people said it's good under the factory warranty. I just give them a call.
Old 01-04-09, 02:52 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I went in with 15k. Just complain about the brake dust.
Old 01-04-09, 04:09 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Just to let you know, the TSIB pads don't seem to "bite" as good as the original pads. You'll trade a little performance for cleanliness.
Old 01-04-09, 07:15 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iKenn
I went in with 15k. Just complain about the brake dust.
Same here.

Originally Posted by ecr527
Just to let you know, the TSIB pads don't seem to "bite" as good as the original pads. You'll trade a little performance for cleanliness.
Not necessarily true. "bite" refers more to brake pad FEEL, not PERFORMANCE.

but I'll agree that tapping the brakes doesn't jut you forward like it did with the original pads. I like it though. It makes the car much more predictable and controllable.
Old 01-04-09, 07:39 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine feel the same.
Old 01-04-09, 09:01 AM
ronvdp
Driver School Candidate

Default TSIB @ 44K miles

I just brought mine in yesterday and they just did a VIN check to see if it had already been done and it had not. Mine has 44k on it, they didn't hesitate for a second.
Old 01-04-09, 09:40 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
Probably not..I went in at aroud 7k and they were a bit hesitant already. Plus, at your mileage front brake pads are probably recommended anyway
Then your dealer is just a PITA.

It's just like warranty coverage--warranties dont cover normal wear and tear. If your pads are at the end of their useful life, the dealer may say it's not covered.
Old 01-04-09, 09:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You'll trade a little performance for cleanliness.
Absolutely untrue if you're talking about stopping distance.

Brake pads can't change stopping distance.

As noted they can certainly change the "feel" of the brakes, and in this case for the better, but the car will stop in -exactly- the same distance, just as physics requires it to, using any set of brake pads capable of engaging ABS.
Old 01-08-09, 02:48 PM
holYcOO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ronvdp
I just brought mine in yesterday and they just did a VIN check to see if it had already been done and it had not. Mine has 44k on it, they didn't hesitate for a second.
wow 44k ... glad brakes last that long... was it brake gone?

Well I'm going in tomorrow to get it and any other recalls done hopefully get some new rotors too, seems like that is case by case basis.
Old 01-08-09, 07:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

^^I traded-in my IS350 with 59k miles on it and still on the TSIB pads with LOTS of meat left. I put them on at 21k. It's all about how you use brakes.
Old 01-08-09, 11:20 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 58 Posts

Just got the TSIB brake pads done at 21k miles. If they give you crap, printout the TSIB and show them it is covered up to 50k miles.
Old 01-09-09, 10:04 PM
ronvdp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Absolutely untrue if you're talking about stopping distance.

Brake pads can't change stopping distance.

As noted they can certainly change the "feel" of the brakes, and in this case for the better, but the car will stop in -exactly- the same distance, just as physics requires it to, using any set of brake pads capable of engaging ABS.
Are you sure about that? Since we don't often engage the ABS the pads will stop differently based on the friction they are able to produce-this is different for each type of pad. Come to think of it, the ABS will also be limited by the different pads and subsequently stop at a different distance. The low dust pads are perfectly fine for most of us and I'm extremely happy with the change. The "feel" is your indicator of how fast you can stop. The high dust pads could stop pretty much on a dime-great for the track and that's about it. Just my $.02
Old 01-10-09, 07:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by ronvdp
Are you sure about that? Since we don't often engage the ABS the pads will stop differently based on the friction they are able to produce-this is different for each type of pad. Come to think of it, the ABS will also be limited by the different pads and subsequently stop at a different distance. The low dust pads are perfectly fine for most of us and I'm extremely happy with the change. The "feel" is your indicator of how fast you can stop. The high dust pads could stop pretty much on a dime-great for the track and that's about it. Just my $.02
Please. Not again. Feel has nothing to do with stopping. Stopping distance at less than ABS engagement is academic. ABS is NOT limited by pad selection, it is limited by wheel speed, and stopping distance is almost purely a function of tire traction, not brake torque.

Read this. The author is a world renowned expert on braking systems and stability controls.

Quick Reply: TSIB Brake Pads