Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

UAS air with KYB vs. Stocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-09, 05:14 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Thats funny cause the handling is pretty terrible! (no offense) This is all a brand new set up (from the date of this original post) I'm running KYB struts maybe 500-1000 miles (I took a few trips ). With the sleeves I was running, I dont remember having any problems. I had the Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (the sports coupe) with modified factory bags, and when it came to preformance handling, the car would automatically drop lower for better handling. I honestly dont remember having any body roll or anything. With my current setup, handling is missing something cause i've got some body roll that I dont like. MAYBE cause i'm not low enough due to the 22's.... dont know Since you're the creator guide me in what ever direction I need honestly though, I'm not disappointed with what I've got, the only "complaints" are the 2 I've mentioned which are the non float feeling (which you've just cleared up for me) and the noises that are made (which I've recently believe to have solved with the idea of adding some rubber bushings of some type)

thanks again for all the input and for whatever more youve got for me

What do you have on there for a setup? Did you purchase the kit from us, or from someone else? Is it a front/back only or a front/back/side/side type setup (4 valves or 8?)
Old 02-02-09, 05:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UniAirSusp
What do you have on there for a setup? Did you purchase the kit from us, or from someone else? Is it a front/back only or a front/back/side/side type setup (4 valves or 8?)
8 valves 9 switches
Old 02-03-09, 09:33 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

8 valves 9 switches
Is your sway bars disconnected?
Old 02-03-09, 10:24 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Is your sway bars disconnected?
oh heck no! LoL, have people actually forgotten to reconnect them? that would suck...

you know, after you made the comment about your kits being focused on performance, I did a little "playing" with the steering... its really not that bad (when at a good level/height) and can see where its got similar to stock performance (which is good) I guess I would have to upgrade my sways to completely eliminate body roll.. oh yea, and get some 20's on there too. The 22's are taking away a lot with the performance. not being able to have it at a good ride height. I think I need to switch the rims to 20's or smaller before I start complaining.
Old 02-03-09, 10:31 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

oh heck no! LoL, have people actually forgotten to reconnect them? that would suck...

you know, after you made the comment about your kits being focused on performance, I did a little "playing" with the steering... its really not that bad (when at a good level/height) and can see where its got similar to stock performance (which is good) I guess I would have to upgrade my sways to completely eliminate body roll.. oh yea, and get some 20's on there too. The 22's are taking away a lot with the performance. not being able to have it at a good ride height. I think I need to switch the rims to 20's or smaller before I start complaining.

Lol, your will be surprised what i have seen... People will remove the sway bars to "hit better sides" But it will give you alot more body roll.

How is your ride height? Is it almost all the way up, really low etc? I would suggest checking if your bags are fully compressed when your bottomed out or if the wheels hit before the bags are bottomed out.

Have you tried playing with different heights? You don't want to be almost all the way up, or all the way down, you want to be inbetween.

Also do this, put your car at how your currently driving it, and then put a jack under there and jack it up, see if your wheels will drop down a decent amount (check the amount of damper left)
Old 02-03-09, 11:28 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, your will be surprised what i have seen... People will remove the sway bars to "hit better sides" But it will give you alot more body roll.

How is your ride height? Is it almost all the way up, really low etc? I would suggest checking if your bags are fully compressed when your bottomed out or if the wheels hit before the bags are bottomed out.

Have you tried playing with different heights? You don't want to be almost all the way up, or all the way down, you want to be inbetween.

Also do this, put your car at how your currently driving it, and then put a jack under there and jack it up, see if your wheels will drop down a decent amount (check the amount of damper left)

wow, I guess folx will do what they can to do anything.... As for ride height, the rear bags fully deflate when bottomed out. Actually I was surprised that when I dump the rear ALL the way down, I can still drive! (looks SWEET too!) the tires are about 1/4 inch from the inner fender, the front however arent. The car sits on the tires up front. When I drive I keep the rear barley with air JUST enough to not have them bottomed out and it rides nice, if I could do the front that way too, the ride would be GREAT! I dont get it though. I thought that I would have to be like around 1/2 way inflated to get that nice ride and not so low? I cant imagine how it would be possible with 20's, at the height I drive (for comfort) 20's would DEFINITELY cause the cars body kit to scrape... I'll do the jack thing to check the damper. I'm sure the rear will be fine, but the front may not have much. If the fronts dont, what can I do to increase the damper? (other than getting smaller rims) thanks
Old 02-03-09, 12:32 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

wow, I guess folx will do what they can to do anything.... As for ride height, the rear bags fully deflate when bottomed out. Actually I was surprised that when I dump the rear ALL the way down, I can still drive! (looks SWEET too!) the tires are about 1/4 inch from the inner fender, the front however arent. The car sits on the tires up front. When I drive I keep the rear barley with air JUST enough to not have them bottomed out and it rides nice, if I could do the front that way too, the ride would be GREAT! I dont get it though. I thought that I would have to be like around 1/2 way inflated to get that nice ride and not so low? I cant imagine how it would be possible with 20's, at the height I drive (for comfort) 20's would DEFINITELY cause the cars body kit to scrape... I'll do the jack thing to check the damper. I'm sure the rear will be fine, but the front may not have much. If the fronts dont, what can I do to increase the damper? (other than getting smaller rims) thanks
Do this... Drop the front all the way down, and measure the lenght of the bag. Most likely if its the tires keeping you up, your going to loose your lift and it will make you air the bags up higher inorder to get to the same height.

Ideally the best thing to go with would be an adjustable damper so you can tune in what you like.
Old 02-06-09, 05:02 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well I finally took the time to put the 20's on and I must stay theres a HUGE difference! But what doesnt make sense is that when I set it at the same level as when I did with the 22's, it nowhere near as rough as it used to be? Why would it be much smoother with the bags inflated the same? Either way I'm much happier! I just need to sell the dam 22's to get some REAL 20's. I wish I wasnt coursed in getting these 22's I still like them, but 20's offset the car much better.
Old 02-06-09, 09:29 AM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

Well I finally took the time to put the 20's on and I must stay theres a HUGE difference! But what doesnt make sense is that when I set it at the same level as when I did with the 22's, it nowhere near as rough as it used to be? Why would it be much smoother with the bags inflated the same? Either way I'm much happier! I just need to sell the dam 22's to get some REAL 20's. I wish I wasnt coursed in getting these 22's I still like them, but 20's offset the car much better.
Is the tire-fender gap the same, or is the bag itself inflated to the same height/pressure? the only thing else that would make any sense at all would be the tire series difference or the unsprung weight difference.
Old 02-06-09, 10:11 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well regardless of how much you dont want to hear it, the 22's will make a huge difference regardless of the suspension but more because of weight than anything else. I realize having the bigger rims = smaller tires = more bumps felt. But, it's what the suspension does to compensate for those bumps that's killing your ride. The huge unsprung weight of those 22's being pressed up against your suspension components is likely maxing out their travel or dampening abilities. If you had your stock rims on it the car would ride much much better, or even a lighter set of 22s.