Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Some clunking going on

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 09:02 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Some clunking going on

I am a new guy here and needs some help. I have a 1992 SC400, and just finished dumping alot of money in my ride. I have done the following things to it over the holidays. It has a clunk that was NOT there before hand, in the rear when I turn the car either direction. I believe its in the rear sway bar somewhere. I am also getting some vibration in the sterring wheel now, had the tires balanced twice. Any suggestions? Proper air pressure amount? Should I use Nitrogen in the tires?

Tokico Shocks and mounts
Upper and lower Daizan control bushings, front and rear
Sway bar links front
Sway bar bushings front and rear ( Daizan )
Rack and pinion bushings ( Daizan )
New Khomo tires
New 19inch ADR Decadnece Chrome wheels
Alignment

There was a piece of white hard square piece of plastic under the original sway bar bushings in the rear, does these need to stay in place with the new Daizan bushings or leave out? I reused them.. I also did NOT reuse the front lower bushing piece thats round and only on the bottom ones, both sides. Was I supposed to? It looked old and wore out. It looked like a old piece of rubber that was very hard. Please any suggestions, help me out. Lastly, is the correct torque 166 on the lower control arms? What about the sway bar? Thanks
Old 01-12-09, 08:57 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your rims aren't bent cause that can be balanced out and still you would have a problem. Nitro does shait for your car. Doesn't help the feel of the road nor does the air stay in the tire longer or any of that other BS. It is something to sell to people to take there money useless! If it happens when braking you might have a warped rotor or a caliper issue. If you took out your struts and spring make sure they haven't come use after dropping it on the ground. Check the strut towers nuts and see if there loose. Bring it to the mechanic or jack it up your self one more time and check the bolts you would have loosened up. Is the shake from the front only?
Old 01-13-09, 11:14 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe the shaking is in the front only. I also checked the lower control bolts after the alignment was done and noticed that the bolts were not up to the proper torque, 166 Ft.lbs. I am going to try and tighten those up today all the way around and go from there. Also I noticed the last time I had the car up, I spun both front wheels and the left one turned maybe 2-3 times and stopped. The right front continued to turn for a bit. Spun very well. I also noticed some grinding going on the left side. Is there a way to check this caliper myself? I think its going bad, cause after several stops back to back, its starting to make alot of noise. Can this be my vibration problem in the front? I replaced the rotor and pads about 8 months ago and they both look good and have no discoloration on both sides form heat. Can anyone help?
Old 01-14-09, 02:07 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any pics of the white hard square piece under the original rear swaybar?

Were front lower bushing pieces that you did not re-use from the front lower control arms? Did they look like a flat disc? If so, you need to re-use them.
Here is a pic of the disc at this link: http://www.vftbushes.com/LCA%20fitti...structions.pdf
Old 02-18-09, 10:57 AM
jasonlee
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it only shake at a certain mile? if so try getting some hub ring because you have after market wheels....help for me...i had the same problem