Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

AWD, dropped, and going through tires like CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 09:40 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by solo_stage
wow you know you are incredibly rude. please refrain from these types of comments because it is not helpful nor necessary.

currently there arent any camber kits for the 2is, there is barely even a camber kit for the 1is, which is the problem...
Pardon me for being appalled at your, and others', blatant disregard for a pretty strong safety issue. Last I checked, being informed that your car is unsafe is both helpful and necessary, regardless of the manner of delivery. I value safety over looks and would rather have my car be safe for myself and the people I share the road with than look good with a drop and some rims. If you are shredding sidewalls at random, and possibly at speed, your car is unsafe.

EDIT: Reading back, the rest of you fairly confused as to which part of the tire is wearing. She said inside wall, which means sidewall. This is purely a camber issue. Toe, unless it was WAY out, wouldn't cause the sidewall to rub. However, at that point, it'd be the least of her issues. Toe affects tread wear, which is what most of this thread has talked about. The initial post leads me to believe she's blowing out sidewalls.

I'm almost positive the tire is rubbing from the negative camber due to the drop, the offset of the new rims, and possibly increased overall diameter of the tire, which would bring it closer to the fender than stock. Stock 250AWDs come with 225/45/17s; her new tires are 235/35/19s. On average, the new tires will be .5 inches taller than the old tires, which, although minute, can make a difference.

Again. Take your rear rims off and look inside the wheel well to see where it's rubbing. If it's in the front or rear, it could very well be toe. (still doubt it) If it's at the top, it's camber. I recommend you go back to your stockers for the time being and check when you do the swap.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-13-09 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 08:54 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can be informative, I agree, but it is not necessary to be so rude. If you have an opinion then of course you can state it, but what's I'm asking in this post is if anyone else is experiencing the same problem that I am. I know that my car is low, and I understand that my camber is bad and my toe wasn't perfect. But honestly, I drive as safely as possible okay? So there's no need for you to tell me what to do. I understand the entire toe / camber tire wear sidewall thing.

I am on stocks as of right now, however my tire wear is much quicker than anyones I know. That was the main reason of this post. I just don't understand why my tires were being wore out so quickly because most other people who I know who have the same setup as I do get at least 10,000 miles out of their tires.

Stocks probably won't help much considering my car is still lowered and camber is still bad. Anyways I'm getting another alignment tomorrow, so hopefully it'll help. We'll see, i guess it's time for new tires.

I dont necessarily mean the INSIDE WALL. I mean the thread on the inside half of the wheel is worn out much quicker than the half of the wheel on the outside. I guess the side wall blew out the other day cause I probably drove a few miles on a flat. I guess because it's torn. Luckily everytime I have gotten a flat, I noticed because the car makes some crazy noises which causes you to pull over.
Old 01-15-09, 10:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Pardon me for being appalled at your, and others', blatant disregard for a pretty strong safety issue. Last I checked, being informed that your car is unsafe is both helpful and necessary, regardless of the manner of delivery. I value safety over looks and would rather have my car be safe for myself and the people I share the road with than look good with a drop and some rims. If you are shredding sidewalls at random, and possibly at speed, your car is unsafe.

EDIT: Reading back, the rest of you fairly confused as to which part of the tire is wearing. She said inside wall, which means sidewall. This is purely a camber issue. Toe, unless it was WAY out, wouldn't cause the sidewall to rub. However, at that point, it'd be the least of her issues. Toe affects tread wear, which is what most of this thread has talked about. The initial post leads me to believe she's blowing out sidewalls.

I'm almost positive the tire is rubbing from the negative camber due to the drop, the offset of the new rims, and possibly increased overall diameter of the tire, which would bring it closer to the fender than stock. Stock 250AWDs come with 225/45/17s; her new tires are 235/35/19s. On average, the new tires will be .5 inches taller than the old tires, which, although minute, can make a difference.

Again. Take your rear rims off and look inside the wheel well to see where it's rubbing. If it's in the front or rear, it could very well be toe. (still doubt it) If it's at the top, it's camber. I recommend you go back to your stockers for the time being and check when you do the swap.
I know it's a stretch, but there are two things in her post that clearly indicate it ISN'T the sidewall despite her using the word wall to describe the problem. First, the tires are lasting 5k miles. Sidewalls won't last 500 miles if they're rubbing. Second, she's referring to camber wear because she believes it to be a root cause (it isn't but that's already been covered). Neither of these two items can be extrapolated into sidewall failure. So, IMHO, your literal interpretation of the initial post took you on a wild goose chase. The rest of us, who are very familiar with the issues described, talked about the root causes of her problems.

Also, it isn't possible for the tire to rub from camber. It's just not possible given the double wishbone design of the 2IS suspension. If the offset were wrong, it would be obvious to the installer because the wheel wouldn't turn freely after the lug nuts are tightened. So we're right back to alignment, inside edge wear, and all the other stuff we already know to be problematic with alignment techs who don't understand alignment.

The only other possibility would either cut grooves in the tire or rip off chunks of rubber. She didn't say anything like that was happening.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 01-15-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 11:47 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by solo_stage
Yes you can be informative, I agree, but it is not necessary to be so rude. If you have an opinion then of course you can state it, but what's I'm asking in this post is if anyone else is experiencing the same problem that I am. I know that my car is low, and I understand that my camber is bad and my toe wasn't perfect. But honestly, I drive as safely as possible okay? So there's no need for you to tell me what to do. I understand the entire toe / camber tire wear sidewall thing.

I am on stocks as of right now, however my tire wear is much quicker than anyones I know. That was the main reason of this post. I just don't understand why my tires were being wore out so quickly because most other people who I know who have the same setup as I do get at least 10,000 miles out of their tires.

Stocks probably won't help much considering my car is still lowered and camber is still bad. Anyways I'm getting another alignment tomorrow, so hopefully it'll help. We'll see, i guess it's time for new tires.

I dont necessarily mean the INSIDE WALL. I mean the thread on the inside half of the wheel is worn out much quicker than the half of the wheel on the outside. I guess the side wall blew out the other day cause I probably drove a few miles on a flat. I guess because it's torn. Luckily everytime I have gotten a flat, I noticed because the car makes some crazy noises which causes you to pull over.
I was being an *** because, the way you explained your blowouts, it sounded like you were ignoring a safety issue (sidewall bursts) for some aesthetics. I have no patience for people who deliberately drive an unsafe vehicle at the risk of other motorists just because their car looks better being unsafe. Same thing goes for those VIP kids that stretch tires to the point of poor beading or sidewall rips. It's unsafe, and your need to look good has a LOT less weight than the safety of people around you that have to deal with your possible accident. Had you been more clear, I wouldn't have been quite as abrasive.

Inside wall wear means sidewall, full stop, and only comes from the tire contacting the car. What you describe now is just aggressive inner tread wear.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I know it's a stretch, but there are two things in her post that clearly indicate it ISN'T the sidewall despite her using the word wall to describe the problem. First, the tires are lasting 5k miles. Sidewalls won't last 500 miles if they're rubbing. Second, she's referring to camber wear because she believes it to be a root cause (it isn't but that's already been covered). Neither of these two items can be extrapolated into sidewall failure. So, IMHO, your literal interpretation of the initial post took you on a wild goose chase. The rest of us, who are very familiar with the issues described, talked about the root causes of her problems.

Also, it isn't possible for the tire to rub from camber. It's just not possible given the double wishbone design of the 2IS suspension. If the offset were wrong, it would be obvious to the installer because the wheel wouldn't turn freely after the lug nuts are tightened. So we're right back to alignment, inside edge wear, and all the other stuff we already know to be problematic with alignment techs who don't understand alignment.

The only other possibility would either cut grooves in the tire or rip off chunks of rubber. She didn't say anything like that was happening.
It's quite possible for tires to last 5000 miles before blowing out with mild body contact. Hell, it's possible to last to 10k. I had a GTO for a while, so I'm intimate with fitment problems. Google "GTO strut rub." A lot of GTOs with factory 17s had a problem where a front tire would barely rub the strut. Something about the massive wear that GMs ****ty shipping process put on suspension components and the alignment issues that resulted. After a few months, inner sidewalls would be down to the cords and some would blow out. If it happened at speed, it was sometimes disastrous.

You can see here where the tire was touching the strut.

If the car was dumped like she claimed, combined with aggressive negative camber and a wider tire than stock then it's quite possible there could be some inner wheel well liner to sidewall contact; mild enough that sidewalls wouldn't be weakened to failure until 4-5000 miles. The wording of the first post led to this interpretation of this girl's situation.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 01-16-09 at 12:21 AM.