Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

AWD, dropped, and going through tires like CRAZY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 01:09 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AWD, dropped, and going through tires like CRAZY!

Hey guys!

okay so i drive a 07 Is250 awd and I dropped my car on tanabe DF210 springs.

My car is insanely low for springs, i know, possibly due to my shocks being blown as well.

Anyways, thats beside the point. The point is I am rolling on 19" wheels and had a brand new set of tires put on my car back in April. In September, my rear tire blew and I had to replace two tires. Just yesterday my tires blew again.

Is anyone else experiencing CRAZY tire wear on the inside wall of their tires? Because I'm not even getting 5000 miles on these tires!! I know its due to the bad camber in the rear, but I'm thinking this is a little too much for me!

I'm also a pretty careful driver, avoid speedbumps, doesn't speed and what not.. HELP!!!!
Old 01-11-09, 01:22 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Inside wall, as in sidewall, not tread? You're rubbing the inner fender well. Take your back rims off and check for rub marks in the wheel well. Take pictures. Your camber/alignment might be way out because of the drop, or your rims might be the wrong offset.
Old 01-11-09, 01:26 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi stranger I'm guessing you need an alignment. From what I've read, usually improper toe settings will affect tire wear more than camber. I'm not having these issues and I'm on the same setup as you (DF, 19s). What tires are you using? Wheel specs? etc, those might play a role too.
Old 01-11-09, 01:46 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

haha dude joe, i get an alignment once a month! it hasnt been helping when my tire explodes, the inside wall of my wheel rips off the wheel... haha the toe is fine according to my last assignment, its just the rear camber thats not okay.

well i have 19 x 8.5 and 235/35/19 which should be okay right? the offsets is +34 all around. I'm not sure what going on. Im even thinking about going back to stock cause i cant afford tires anymore, haha!

i'm also on Yokohama S-Drives... got any suggestions for better tires?
Old 01-11-09, 04:55 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is adjusting your "TOE" ? maybe its not properly adjusted.

I have talked to someone who has their car dropped and proper toe, and tire wear is fine.

Since I have the same issue, with the inside of my tires wearing, I usually have to flip the tires on each side.

But this leaves you with tire tread going the wrong way. However, this has not hurt anything.
Old 01-11-09, 09:50 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

i went through the same situation in the past. i don't know how low is your car, but you can't fix it just by getting an alignment. i don't really see how this is related to toe. you need a proper camber kit if it's available. if not, try to get tires with the thicker sidewalls or higher profile.
Old 01-12-09, 05:34 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post some pictures of your car, I wonder how low it is for that to happened, because I am lowered on F sport and I am doing okay so far *knocks on wood* and this might be detrimental to the people who are going to lower their AWD on coils as well.
Old 01-12-09, 07:00 AM
jason2713
Driver School Candidate

wow that sucks, because I was gonna get the NF210s for my IS350 and put 20's on it. How bad is the camber on these springs? I'm not looking to spend $600-$700 just on springs/camber kit, then the labor. Just not in the budget and may just keep it stock if that's the case.
Old 01-12-09, 07:43 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by t0e
Who is adjusting your "TOE" ? maybe its not properly adjusted.

I have talked to someone who has their car dropped and proper toe, and tire wear is fine.

Since I have the same issue, with the inside of my tires wearing, I usually have to flip the tires on each side.

But this leaves you with tire tread going the wrong way. However, this has not hurt anything.
Toe keeps coming up , but this is not a fix, it will only help in the smallest of measures. The bottom line is if the Camber is off it will cause tire wear.
And for those that are not experienceing wear when they are dropped I suggest you take a front tire off and give a good eye. It will cause wear if the car is dropped. How low will determine the wear. The angle of camber is going to get greater the lower you go, causing increased inside tread wear.
The tire type is still not a cure. If the tire is wearing the inside tread changing tire type may help on the smallest of measures but the issue is the camber, not the tire. The way to correct this is a camber kit. Do they even make one for these cars? When I pulled my fronts ( 19's ) the inside was showing the cords. That's with about 6k miles rotating at 3k.

Last edited by Big Willy; 01-12-09 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 09:03 AM
cre8
Driver

My 250 AWD is lower with S.tech. It look like eating inside more. And my allingment was factory setting when I check but I had stock rims.I had Nitto Invo.Awsome, tough sidewall and good in wet and dry , quiet then stock and Falken ( previous ) .Suck in snow tho.
Old 01-12-09, 02:29 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

I don't understand people "living" with sidewall rub. I hope you guys aren't driving around at highway speeds, or with other people around. Shredding a sidewall at 70 can be disastrous, for either you or the people behind you. Fix your damned setups.
Old 01-12-09, 08:33 PM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panyo64
I don't understand people "living" with sidewall rub. I hope you guys aren't driving around at highway speeds, or with other people around. Shredding a sidewall at 70 can be disastrous, for either you or the people behind you. Fix your damned setups.
wow you know you are incredibly rude. please refrain from these types of comments because it is not helpful nor necessary.

currently there arent any camber kits for the 2is, there is barely even a camber kit for the 1is, which is the problem...
Old 01-12-09, 09:24 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

If yout the Solo Stage that hit me up on My.IS here the info you wanted
Alright guys!

These coilovers are 30 way adjustable and from the looks of it, possibly get 2.25 inch drop.

These are the stage 2 coilovers which means they are comfortable for the street but able take some track time if you wish to do so (like me)

These are customizable before ordering so if you want stiffer springs/valving, they can do it.

BC Racing NA doesn't have the facilities to rebuild these coilovers after they wear out but, they made it so you just order the cartridges and tear down the coilovers (either urself or get it done professionally) and replace the cartridges. (I think they're around $95)

Pricing should be very reasonable for this kit. He said I can't quote him on anything but it should be around $1,000 - $1,100 which is a pretty competitive price
Old 01-12-09, 10:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
Toe keeps coming up , but this is not a fix, it will only help in the smallest of measures. The bottom line is if the Camber is off it will cause tire wear.
And for those that are not experienceing wear when they are dropped I suggest you take a front tire off and give a good eye. It will cause wear if the car is dropped. How low will determine the wear. The angle of camber is going to get greater the lower you go, causing increased inside tread wear.
The tire type is still not a cure. If the tire is wearing the inside tread changing tire type may help on the smallest of measures but the issue is the camber, not the tire. The way to correct this is a camber kit. Do they even make one for these cars? When I pulled my fronts ( 19's ) the inside was showing the cords. That's with about 6k miles rotating at 3k.
Really? I have -1.5 degrees on all four corners of my Supra and I have zero tire wear issues. Camber less than -2.5 degrees doesn't wear out tires. The manufacturers will tell you -0.5 is minimum static camber for decent grip. Toe in the rear of my Supra is factory minimum (1.00 mm) because the recommended toe (3.0 mm) kills rear tires in 5k miles of very easy driving. Without any regard for camber.

The real root cause isn't camber, it's toe adjusted by someone who doesn't understand alignment and only adjusts until the lights turn green. That's not good enough. The tech needs to be smart enough to look at the tires, look at the ride height, and adjust the suspension for what you want - best performance or minimum abnormal wear. Few can do this these days because they're all monkey trained to put the car on the rack and turn adjustments until the computer screen turns green. That's the REAL problem.
Old 01-13-09, 05:57 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelly I can tell you were to go, to get your toe adjusted properly...

Local So Cal. Hit me up.

As soon as i get my new tires, I am going there.

Quick Reply: AWD, dropped, and going through tires like CRAZY!