Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to check for water in air suspension system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 09:47 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check for water in air suspension system?

I took out my pumps and tanks out as things broke, it's been in the unheated (-40'C to +30'C) garage for a year, lines still in the car... Now before I think about using the things I've got, how do I check the system?
Old 01-13-09, 10:23 PM
trunkflapp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you not install water traps, and then run the system through several series of ups and downs? I am asking this in the form of a question because I do not know for sure, but would like to see the answer to this question.....

Quincy
Old 01-13-09, 10:34 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Just check the tanks. Some tanks have a drain plug that you simply just unscrew to let out the water. The air valves are made to pass (regulate) water as well, so a bit of condensation won't hurt them.

During winter time, some guys use air brake antifreeze and drop a few drops into the tank so that it water wont freeze up.
Old 01-13-09, 11:11 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

icic, I'll check it out... just don't know if it's gonna rust though....
Old 01-14-09, 01:27 PM
UniAirSusp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I took out my pumps and tanks out as things broke, it's been in the unheated (-40'C to +30'C) garage for a year, lines still in the car... Now before I think about using the things I've got, how do I check the system?
Depending on how much water you had in the system will determine how much you will have to get into it. First of all, you’re going to have to thaw out all the ice. I dont know if that’s going to mean to pull the car into the garage or what. But we need to get rid of all the ice. Also keep in mind that you need to get the ice out of the bag if there is any. You don't want to stab through the bag with a piece of ice

I would suggest pulling out the tank and draining it out. You will be able to see if there is allot of rusty water coming out. If there is, you will want to clean out your valves.

After you drain out all of the water, hook the tank/compressors back up and before you pressurize the system, add some of the air brake antifreeze into the system.

Now hopefully you didn't have any lines burst, turn on the compressors and let the tank fill back up. If the tank is building pressure, you should be good on your lines/fittings and then fill everything all the way up and spray it down with some soapy water to see if there are any leaks.

If it not filling up, i would suggest plugging in some type of shop compressor that way you can have a burst of air going into the system and see what line is leaking faster then the compressor is able to fill up the air tank. Those leaks you will usually hear them hissing really bad.

Then i would cycle the car a few times up/down to work the antifreeze through the system.

I hope that helps!