Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Grinding from right front wheel please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 09:30 AM
inspireC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding from right front wheel please help!!!

Hi all. First post but been getting info from this site for a few months now.

Just got a 01 GS430 with 180000KM on it this month, bone stock.

I'm getting a grinding/creaking noise from my right front wheel. It usually happens at quarter turn to the right. Sounds exactly like the dust plate is hitting/grinding against the wheel/rotor but it isn't. Took the wheel off and and there are no scratches/signs of damage anywhere and the wheel is not hitting it at all.

The 'mechanic' at the dealer I bought it from says its the sway bar link but I don't understand how it would be making that amount of noise. It's REALLY loud and when at it's worst, the noise even happens when going straight on flat road.

The noise goes away when the wheel is fully turned or even turned enough to make a left/right turn.

It's weird because after driving for a while and then parking, if I stand on the passenger door rocker panel and rock the car, it makes the same noise. Was thinking it was a shock but it doesn't make the sound when going over speed bumps.

I took the wheel/caliper/rotor off today to inspect it and after putting it back together, the noise went away. But about 15 KM later, it came back again. It's really embarrassing and loud as hell.

Any ideas?
Old 01-25-09, 12:29 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mechanic could be right, I had an issue with my sway bar/link rubbing, the shop made an "adjustment" and it went away, not sure what they did though, haha.

Your situation sounds a little different though, see if you can borrow or get a shop to put an "ear" on it to pinpoint the location of the sound.
Old 01-25-09, 12:40 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

i would say the same thing, does it happen when its colder out or all the time pretty much?
Old 01-25-09, 07:48 PM
inspireC
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the replies guys.

well it kind of has a mind of it's own. sometimes when i start from cold and drive for a while it's fine but after about 15 minutes of driving it starts up. other times it starts right away

but a few times when it was parked in a heated parkade for 9 hours, when i started driving the noise happened right away.

i'm dropping it off tomorrow so if the new sway bar link doesn't solve the problem i'll get them to use the hose trick to pinpoint the problem an post and update.

Thanks again, this forum is awesome!
Old 02-24-09, 08:49 PM
inspireC
Driver School Candidate

So I finally got it fixed..

The dealer ordered me sway bar links for both sides, took it to the dealership when parts arrived and of course, he couldn't get the nuts off.
So we referred me to an actual mechanic. Made appointment to find out was given two left sides. Had to get it re-ordered and finally took it back there and they threw it in.

Well anyways, it had nothing to do with the sway bar links but was being caused by the infamous BALL JOINTS. Got both upper/lower replaced and finally the noise is gone.
Old 02-25-09, 02:33 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

thats funny cause I was thinking ball joints off hand (barely read it today) little too late I guess... good to hear its fixed...