Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC400 Power Steering Whine / Need reliable mechanic in Philly area - 19066

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-09, 09:42 AM
tdouek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Power Steering Whine / Need reliable mechanic in Philly area - 19066

My 1995 SC 400 has just started making a whining noise as well. Took it to local mechanic today. He removed the PS fluid cap and some fluid bubbled out of the reservoir - which he said should not happen and might indicate a blockage. I left the car with him and he said that the rack and pinion need replacing, along with the pump - wants $1,200 to do the work. I told him I'd give it some thought - seems like a crazy amount to me!

Questions:

1) Does this sound like a PS problem (whining intensifies when turning. Louder when cold, subsides a bit when car is driven a few miles and warmed up).
2) Does the assessment from the mechanic sound reasonable - he only had the car a couple of hours before calling - is this enough time to reach these conclusions?
3) Assuming he is being honest and the problems are as he reports, does $1,200 sound realistic or outrageous for this work?
4) Does anyone know a good Lexus mechanic in the Philadelphia area? I live in merion Station - 19066.

Thanks in advance,

Tim
Old 01-26-09, 09:46 AM
pmpdaddyt
Lexus Test Driver

same problem check this out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-steering.html
Old 01-26-09, 09:58 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

You're going to need a new pump and power steering hose. 1200 is ridiculous. The problem is when you order the hose from Lexus I believe it's something around 600 dollars. Pump is probably expensive too. I put in a rebuilt pump I got for 290 last week, and I had my hose fixed for 95 dollars. Installation shouldn't be more than 2-300 dollars I'd assume, so you can get this problem fixed for alot cheaper.
Old 01-26-09, 10:01 AM
tdouek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - I saw this already - not really interested in a 'work around' though - would rather understand the root cause of the problem and the best method for resolving it.

Any suggestions for a mechanic in the Philly area?
Old 01-26-09, 10:01 AM
tdouek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Justin SC - so is the mechanic making up the rack and pinion replacement part of this??
Old 01-26-09, 10:03 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it does seem to be the issue. I honestly don't think the price is too bad including the parts. I don't know how much labor charge is over there but around here it's 60-120. Just make sure to get oem parts. You can always do it yourself and save the labor charges.
Old 01-26-09, 10:17 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

I'm not sure about the rack and pinon but judging from your symptoms what I stated was the most likely solution. I was having the exact same problems and just got this fixed just last week doing exactly that. Maybe ask the mechanic if he can order rebuilt parts or get the pressurized hose fixed rather than ordering a new one from Lexus.
Old 01-26-09, 10:28 AM
tdouek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - where would I go to get the pressurized hose fixed?
Old 01-26-09, 10:49 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

I honestly couldn't tell you. I had a local guy do it. Check with your mechanic and see if he knows of any shops that can repair power steering hoses.
Old 01-26-09, 11:00 AM
tdouek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. Taking it to a shop for a second opinion tomorrow and will report back on their recommendations. I'm interested to see if the first shop were trying to pull a fast one or if their diagnosis and price estimate is correct.
Old 01-26-09, 11:02 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

Sounds about right actually. I would expect a shop to quote about the much especially if they were sourcing parts from Lexus. But you don't have to. Try finding a rebuilt pump and try getting your hose fixed. I wouldn't suggest buying a used hose as I tried that and it was also leaking!
Old 01-26-09, 11:29 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

ANY business that builds hydraulic lines AC/Brake/Power Steering etc, can fab up any replacement power steering line for under $100 in a day,very easily. Absolutely no way that you need to purchase an expensive OEM Lexus PS line unless you enjoy bending over. Also you may, as Justin mentioned, and/or need a power steering pump. You can go aftermarket/rebuilt for far less than OEM as well. Just check your local Autozone, Napa, Pimpboys etc. Lexus power steering racks are pretty stout units and usually last a long time. Check your pump/fluid levels(when was the last time you did a power steering flush?) and hoses first. Do this looong before you install a new rack. And if by any chance you do need a new rack, do yourself a big favor and put the Diazen aftermarket steering rack bushings in. A Very nice mod on a Lexus. BTW, all of this is fairly easy DIY(just search) stuff and think of all the money you can save and how many new tools you can equip your garage with, learn to love Harbor Freight and Northern Tools!
Old 01-26-09, 11:38 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

May I recommend buying used stuff from Aliga (Gazi) on the boards here, or anyone else parting their stuff out. I fixed all my PS issues for nearly 1/10 of the price you just quoted plus did a little maintenance on the system with a few searches on here. There are some solenoids and filters/screens on the rack that can get blocked up. Took me all of about 3 hours. If $ is of concern but you want to drive this car, it is really benificial to do your own work. They're fairly easy to work on, and there are a lot of resources online for the DIY'er. Good luck, mang.

Last edited by kyoso23; 01-26-09 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-26-09, 11:50 AM
justinSC
Pole Position

I'm sorry but I can't recommend that you buy used power steering parts. Like I previously stated I had issues with a used hose, it's just not reliable. This is a common problem in our cars and the best way to fix it for the cheapest price is to use rebuilt parts.
Old 01-26-09, 09:18 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

i was having a similar problem, turned out that one of the fittings in the power steering line under the pump had gotten kinked, (in the whole assembly that is the power steering hose there are multiple "hose to metal fitting connections" and the metal inner tube sticks in really far into the outer rubber tube. That's what got kinked and it was causing a blockage for fluid to pass in there. The whole setup was 500 and something bucks from lexus, i disconnected and removed the whole line, took it to a hydraulics shop, the guy removed the old tubing and bent the line back into shape, also added a small bend for the ic piping i had in there, and put new tubing on it all for 50 bucks. The problem went right away. It has to be a hydraulics shop or somewhere with the right tools to do the job though, as the actaul connection between the rubber and metal, i don't know if its just a crazy crimp or whatever, i can't remember, it's been a while, but it has to stand up to ridiculous pressure, so unfortunately it's not really something you can whip out at home, unless you want to build your own simple straight braided line but i believe that has its drawbacks, just can't remember what, anyways just my $0.02

Quick Reply: SC400 Power Steering Whine / Need reliable mechanic in Philly area - 19066