Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Tanabe coilovers coming. Owner input please

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 11:45 PM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tanabe coilovers coming. Owner input please

I have a few questions that I am seeking opinions on. I am soon receiving my tanabe five coil overs.

1. They are used. Just under a year old and supposedly in perfect condition. I read that coilovers will settle. Will used coilovers already be settled/broken in?

2. I search to look for recommended height levels but what i like (from what i see) is only termed "tucked." I understand that. I love that look. Is that to take it they are on the lowest setting or just low enough to be tucked?
Can any tanabe five coilover owner running on stock sized wheels tell me a recommended setting that will be even, as low as can be without having major road issues or rubbing issues. I rarely drive on rough roads. I'm more concerned about tire rub. I know about the heat gun. I'd really appreciate the info.

Last edited by patrick323; 01-30-09 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 11:56 PM
350ISRYDER
Pole Position

Default Tucked question..

Originally Posted by patrick323
I have a few questions that I am seeking opinions on. I am soon receiving my tanabe five coil overs.

1. They are used. Just under a year old and supposedly in perfect condition. I read that coilovers will settle. Will used coilovers already be settled/broken in?

2. I search to look for recommended height levels but what i like (from what i see) is only termed "tucked." I understand that. I love that look. Is that to take it they are on the lowest setting or just low enough to be tucked?
Can any tanabe five coilover owner running on stock sized wheels tell me a recommended setting that will be even, as low as can be without having major road issues or rubbing issues. I rarely drive on rough roads. I'm more concerned about tire rub. I know about the heat gun. I'd really appreciate the info.

3. Finally, Can someone point me in the dire
K...
1. It will settle on your car, but if it used then it should already be broken in. Then again, every car is different!
2. Tucked means, they have coiled their car to whatever settings that they like to make sure that the tire is tucked under the fender...if u notice, when u see half the tire gone under the fender, thats tucked. SLAMMED, is when you see all the tire gone and the fender is to the rim lip.
3. Even is all the way down! Full Slam! If you don't want full slam, coil it to .25 inches front and .5 inches rear + or - a few if you don't want to scrape at certain places...but you will NEVER rub the fenders on stocks on a full slam! I don't! But you will scrape underneath your lip or cat on long or high speed bumps or steep driveways.
*Here's a pic since I'm one of the few rolling on stocks while everyone has new shoes! It acutally settled just a bit more from this pic...I like this coilover!
Attached Thumbnails New Tanabe coilovers coming.  Owner input please-side-profile-car.jpg  
Old 01-29-09, 09:15 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

That helps. I def want to go fully slammed but I'm just so worried about problems of daily driving (speed bumps etc. etc.). I'll get it, slam it, and see
thanks.
Old 01-29-09, 09:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks cool, at least in the parking lot. But how does it ride with such limited suspension travel? And what happens when you hit bumps cornering at speed? Or is it best to just drive slowly all the time.
Old 01-29-09, 10:57 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

u just gotta get used to driving slam'd. you'll scrape and hit things. all part of the price of riding low
Old 01-29-09, 12:17 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

if you are planning on slamming down, then you gotta get ready for scraping your front, maybe your sides, and your exhaust tips
Old 01-29-09, 02:05 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

first just pick the drop your happy with...that is the beauty of having coil-overs drop it to your likings second set the rebound settings at 6f/5r <--- thats where i have them set at then again i do have the TEAS unit and can change it on the fly or have it in auto mode YAY!! third get the TEAS unit!! fourth slap on some sway-bars and enjoy. fifth do the pedal dance and go look for some canyons. do they have canyons in texas?
Old 01-30-09, 12:23 AM
patrick323
Lead Lap

Hmm, i'm not sure about canyons in Dallas TX. I'm reasonably new here but i'm doubting it very much.

TEAS unit. I wish. I've gotten a new exhaust, intake, rear roof spoiler (extra to paint), new wheels, 4 new tires and purchased coilovers (which I'll soon pay to install) all in the last two weeks. I just cant stop! I need to replenish some funds before I purchase a TEAS which is over 500..then who knows how much to put on/in.

Where did you place the TEAS unit? I've seen only one photo of an IS with the unit. They placed it to the lower left of the wheel in the slot/place/thingy where my rear shade button, subwoofer control **** (added), and some other button are. I cant seem to think of where to put the thing when i do get it. I obviously want it reachable and viewable. Wish I could put it out of view, then be able to see/control it through my nav screen. That would be pretttty bad-***. If they dont have it already...it's my idea. You all just witnessed it.

Last edited by patrick323; 01-30-09 at 12:26 AM.