Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My Coilover Debates

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 08:07 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickex99
I just put my stance coilovers in and I love them!! I also had hks rs and they were good, but stance will go way lower and rides better.. They also appear to be built better.

I would go with stance..

I got mine for 1200 shipped .. Pm me and I'll let you know where.
Hey Quickex,

Would you tell us more about how the stance coils compare to the HKS RS coils? I hear the RS's could ride almost like stock at the soft level -can the stances do this?

The stances have a pretty high spring rate - how does that effect the ride? Thanks for the info!
Old 02-04-09, 08:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers and like them so far. It is a 40 way adjustable damper and has a fairly wide range. When I had it set about mid way, 20/25 it rode similar to my E46 BMW with factory sports suspension. I now have it set to about 4/5 and the ride is very soft. Almost back to stock. The coilovers came preset at a certain preload, but I took out the preload (I have the original preload measurement so I can go back if I wanted to) and the ride got a lot softer. Very stock like now. It uses a 50MM diameter shock body so the techs at Fortune Auto told me I could run the damper setting at 1 all around and NOT be under damped or damage the shock. It also has a separate ride height adjustment so it retains the full shock piston travel no matter how low, and it retains the set preload of the spring as well. Either way, it is a bit too soft so I'll probably stiffen it up again later.

As for how low? You can definitely tuck the tire running my 18"rims. When I first put them on, I had about 1 finger gap and I could have gone about at least 1.5" lower. At the point I had it I would already scrape speed bumps and hit my upper control arm on the upper fender. With the RCAs it no problem at all if you wanted to dump it as I actually had to raise it back up even more since th4e RCA's lower 31mm.

PS. Cost is about $1200 MSPR, but I got them for $750 brand new so I had to try them out. so far so good, but I'll update of anything goes wrong with them.
Old 02-05-09, 04:24 AM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scott1258
Hey Quickex,

Would you tell us more about how the stance coils compare to the HKS RS coils? I hear the RS's could ride almost like stock at the soft level -can the stances do this?

The stances have a pretty high spring rate - how does that effect the ride? Thanks for the info!
they ride perfect! Had my friends in the car and they were amazed on how smooth it was for how slammed I am.. It was a little different adjusting them because the bottom base threads out for height adjustment instead of the upper adjustable perch like hks. These coilovers made me love my car again.. LOL
Old 02-05-09, 09:15 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Does anybody know the differences between HKS Hipermax LS/LS+/RS??

Dara
Old 02-05-09, 09:21 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i think LS/LS+ are softer and can go a tad lower than RS
but keep in mind, RS can still slam (i should know )
Old 02-05-09, 09:43 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I have Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers and like them so far. It is a 40 way adjustable damper and has a fairly wide range. When I had it set about mid way, 20/25 it rode similar to my E46 BMW with factory sports suspension. I now have it set to about 4/5 and the ride is very soft. Almost back to stock. The coilovers came preset at a certain preload, but I took out the preload (I have the original preload measurement so I can go back if I wanted to) and the ride got a lot softer. Very stock like now. It uses a 50MM diameter shock body so the techs at Fortune Auto told me I could run the damper setting at 1 all around and NOT be under damped or damage the shock. It also has a separate ride height adjustment so it retains the full shock piston travel no matter how low, and it retains the set preload of the spring as well. Either way, it is a bit too soft so I'll probably stiffen it up again later.

As for how low? You can definitely tuck the tire running my 18"rims. When I first put them on, I had about 1 finger gap and I could have gone about at least 1.5" lower. At the point I had it I would already scrape speed bumps and hit my upper control arm on the upper fender. With the RCAs it no problem at all if you wanted to dump it as I actually had to raise it back up even more since th4e RCA's lower 31mm.

PS. Cost is about $1200 MSPR, but I got them for $750 brand new so I had to try them out. so far so good, but I'll update of anything goes wrong with them.

How long have you had these for?

Nice reviews

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
i think LS/LS+ are softer and can go a tad lower than RS
but keep in mind, RS can still slam (i should know )
Ohh okay okay I see!

Dara
Old 02-05-09, 11:01 AM
AWDtoyota
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CK6Speed

Could you post some pictures of your car? I would like to see your ride height.

You got me interested in these, because of the lowness, while still maintaining "lexus" ride quality.

And, where did you purchase them from?
Old 02-24-09, 04:24 PM
mortakahn
Driver School Candidate

so stance or megan? which one will do best for comfort ride and rolling on 20's?
Old 02-25-09, 10:27 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Im going with Stance already placed an order on them and patiently waiting.

Dara
Old 02-26-09, 08:39 AM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AristoMade
Im going with Stance already placed an order on them and patiently waiting.

Dara
^^^ keep us updated PLEASE i might post my teins for sale and go the same route
Old 02-26-09, 11:10 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mortakahn
so stance or megan? which one will do best for comfort ride and rolling on 20's?
I have been on Megan since June 08 with no complaints. I am 6 clicks from softest and it rides like stock. They can also slam your car so they have been a very nice "bang for the buck" so far.
Old 03-11-09, 11:01 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Default Stance is here

Special thanks to Henry @ Race On USA for helping me out with the customer service and for Price matching with CIPmotorsports because CIP was out of stock until the next 2weeks. Henry @ Raceonusa also was out of stock BUT was able to price matched for me pulled the order same day over the phone and told me he will get the coilovers drop shipped to me from Stance them self instead of stopping at RaceonUSA first then me.

Now here it is!
Enjoy!!

Unexpectedly because the delivery date was scheduled for tomorrow (03/12/09)

I get a loud door banging from Fedex this morning at 09:00am...

Delivery for Dara Prom (me)

looks to the side and see a box with logo's all over it, signs the box and "tried" to lift the box (morning wake up no energy for a 5'5" 120lb guy )

dragged it into my room and this is what it was.....

Will post up pictures of before, installation and after very soon!

Dara
Old 03-11-09, 12:46 PM
Emil
Pole Position

i just got a set of HSD Coilovers (apprently re-branded Stance) and wil be fitted once my uni term is over next friday,can't wait!
Old 03-11-09, 01:27 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SAGE Racing Coilovers

I got my SAGE coilovers last month.