Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Possible to install front springs to rear and rear to front by mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 12:36 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible to install front springs to rear and rear to front by mistake?

Ever since I had my Espelir springs/L-tuned shock combo installed the rear has always been lower in the back than front. All I have in the back is a single 10" in a small box so it shouldn't cause it to sag that much. With a full tank of gas there is no finger gap at all. The front has about 2 finger.

I bought the combo already mounted together. Is it possible that whoever mounted them before to have accidently mounted the front springs onto the rear shocks and the rear springs onto the front shocks? Something just doesn't look right. I think if the rear had the gap of the front and the front had the gap of the rear, it would look perfect. I've seen pictures of other GS on Espelir and the rear isn't as low as mine.
Old 02-10-09, 06:10 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you know how many miles are on the shocks? It possibly could be that the rear shocks are blown?

The front and rear springs look pretty different, I don't think a normal person could confuse them but I suppose it would be possible. Can you get pictures of the suspension with the car jacked up and post them so we can take a look and make sure they're not switched?
Old 02-11-09, 10:10 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Need pics of the springs/shocks....front and rears.

Anything is possible....maybe its some knockoff springs.

Do you have a sound system setup in the trunk? The weight of the components will do that.

Btw...imo...blown shocks do not affect height...only dampening. Springs affect height.

Last edited by PHML; 02-11-09 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-11-09, 10:23 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds pretty much like mine. Front is definitely higher then the rear. Here is a pic of my front and rear wheels compared to the OE springs. You can see that there is pretty much no gap. Also a pic of the front and rear springs - I don't think they could have been swapped.

Old 02-11-09, 02:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is virtually impossible to swap front and rear springs since the spring perch seating would not match. Unless the person who did the install didn't care that the spring perch seat didn't fit the spring well and just said screw it it would highly doubt anyone could swap the front and rear springs by mistake.

The other thing is it is typical with drop springs to have the front slightly higher than the rear on many cars. If the drop specs are the same (1.2" front and rear) than the front will always be higher on many cars. If you see something like 1.2" F and 1" rear, it would be closer IMHO, but the front generally needs to be dropped about 1/2" more than the rear for it to look even. I'd say if you are within a 1/4" of each other all around it is probably normal for typical drop springs.
Old 02-11-09, 05:31 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Ever since I had my Espelir springs/L-tuned shock combo installed the rear has always been lower in the back than front. All I have in the back is a single 10" in a small box so it shouldn't cause it to sag that much. With a full tank of gas there is no finger gap at all. The front has about 2 finger.

I bought the combo already mounted together. Is it possible that whoever mounted them before to have accidently mounted the front springs onto the rear shocks and the rear springs onto the front shocks? Something just doesn't look right. I think if the rear had the gap of the front and the front had the gap of the rear, it would look perfect. I've seen pictures of other GS on Espelir and the rear isn't as low as mine.
It could be possible the previous owner had a very heavy stereo system...The springs might have settled with that huge weight over them thus reducing your ride height in the rear...just an idea.