Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HKS Hypermax III / STANCE GR+ / TEIN CST?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-09, 04:40 PM
MrYoshi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hypermax III / STANCE GR+ / TEIN CST?

HKS Hypermax III / STANCE GR+ / TEIN CST, these are my choices. I'm looking for something thats is comfortable but at the same time a good nice ride quality. HKS Hypermax III spring rates is pretty close to TEIN CST, but i heard HKS is a lot better. What's your input guys?
Old 02-15-09, 04:54 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

i would go with the HKS. Everyone i know that has the Tein CST's are always complaining about how they dont go low enough, however they do ride quite nice though. I havent ridden in a SC with the HKS's but i have ridden in a MKIV with them and they are also quite nice. A little bit sportier compared than the Tein's but still very comfortable, along with the higher range of height adjustability.

I personally have the Stance coilovers on my SC and i love them. Steering feels very precise and the ride quality is superb. If you are on a budget the stances are a very good option for you.

Last edited by vinh; 02-15-09 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-15-09, 05:04 PM
MrYoshi
Pole Position

HKS springs rate are 12/7kg and TEIN CST is 10/6kg, thats is not much of a different and since i read that GS peeps say HKS rides a lot better, but thats only GS, i want input from SC peeps.
Old 02-15-09, 05:46 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

HKS ...

why would you even consider anything else??
Old 02-15-09, 06:15 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Tein Flex with EDFC.
Old 02-15-09, 08:47 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone I've talked to with stance is happy with them. And for the price I think they sound pretty good.
Old 02-16-09, 02:25 PM
itazura
Pole Position

HKS period. if you have the budget tho.

I have Tein CST w/ air ride right now. The bad thing to me about Tein CST is that you can't adjust the body like HKS, Stance and other brands. So when I ride low it doesn't have as much shock piston rebound length.

Tein CST and HKS III are kinda around the same price so if youre leaning towards these two then its a no brainer.... HKS.

Last edited by itazura; 02-16-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 09:06 AM
Jeembo
Lexus Test Driver

So the CST and Hipermax pretty much ride the same? I'm also torn between the two. Was leaning toward CST because of the ride quality but if they can't go very low, then it'll be HKS for me. Not necessarily looking to slam my car as it'll be my DD for a while, but if there's no difference in ride quality, I'll definitely want the higher build quality ones.
Old 02-17-09, 09:24 AM
MrYoshi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeembo
So the CST and Hipermax pretty much ride the same? I'm also torn between the two. Was leaning toward CST because of the ride quality but if they can't go very low, then it'll be HKS for me. Not necessarily looking to slam my car as it'll be my DD for a while, but if there's no difference in ride quality, I'll definitely want the higher build quality ones.
I've done some research, and I'm going with the HKS. First I thought TEIN CST can lower independently but it's not, CST uses the preload to lower/raise the car, but the HKS Hipermax III have their own height adjustment.
Old 02-17-09, 09:28 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've had my fair share of rides with HKS and Teins, but in a 2GS. The HKS hands down rides better and handles better than the Teins. Teins are popular because they were affordable back then (price jumped over $300 within the last year), but for the same price, I can't imagine anyone going with Teins unless he/she wants the EDFC feature.

Teins are okay coilovers...definitely better than the Nex crap you see on ebay, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'm throwing it at the HKS.