Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bumpsteering Myself Mad

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 09:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You may be experiencing tramlining instead of bumpsteer, and that's usually due to the tire. With my crappy tire wear from my Falkens, I'll get tramlining on roads that are not so good. I switched my rear Bridgestones to the front (even wear), and the car drives perfectly. If you are on stock suspension, bumpsteer should be less than before.
Old 02-20-09, 09:27 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I currently have mismatched tires on a set of staggered supra na wheels. They are wrapped with 80% Kumho asx in front and 90% falken 912in the rear and all 4 have even wear. Both pairs of tires also have similar load and speed rating. The thing is, the issue was apparent when I had is350 wheels with bridgestones. I am on stock suspension w/ tokico hp so that is what puzzles me.
Old 02-20-09, 10:55 AM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds more like you have worn out bushings. Rack and control arms. Lift up the car and shake the wheels, see if you have any play which would be caused by worn ball joints or tie rods.
Old 02-20-09, 11:49 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

As mentioned earlier, I am running supra front lca (~7k miles) and daizen steering rack bushings (~12k miles). Could it be the daizen rack bushings? I'm about to work on the car so I'll see whats up, thanks.
Old 02-20-09, 01:15 PM
GreenBes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually have a lot of control over the car (compared to what I have been reading here) - but I do get a LOT of feedback through the wheel. I have driven other non-sc lexuses and they do not get the same level of feedback.

Mole - let me know how your tie rod experience works out.
Old 02-20-09, 05:50 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

First, wanted to point out that my car has roughly 131k miles.
Just got back from the alignment place and the difference is very noticeable. The original tie rod ends had no resistance at all and fluid was leaking out of them. First thing I noticed after installation was that the steering wheel felt tighter compared to how much play it had before. I intentionally drove over rough patches of road and the bumpsteer has been greatly decreased to a point where I don't have to hold the steering wheel so tightly. Road noise has also decreased a bit. My steering and front end feel so much better. So in my case, worn outer tie rod ends were the culprit of my symptoms.

GreenBes -
If you car just has alot of feedback from the steering wheel, it could just be the harder bushings in the supra lca or the material of the daizen rack bushings. It can also be another issue that we are not aware of. Have you checked your tire pressure lately? I believe the factory rating is 31psi all around. I have mine set at about 35-36psi all around for a bit better handling.

If your car has the same symptoms as I do, then it seems like the outer tie rod ends may be your problem. Although, make sure they are the cause before you buy go buying anything. To check, you can use one of the methods as mentioned above by BattleVer in his last post. If you want to be sure, you can remove the joint portion of the outer tie rod end from the hub. Just jack up the car, remove the wheel, remove the cotter pin, and then the 16mm (?) castle nut. The end will probably be stuck to the hub assembly, so I took a mallet and gave the top of threaded part few good strikes before it dropped. Check the resistance of the joint and if there is any fluid leaking from the boot. Once you are done checking just reverse the steps to reinstall.

I don't think there is a DIY on replacing the tie rod end here, but I found this article that follows pretty much the same steps: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3tierods.html

Hope this info helps you out.

Last edited by TheMole; 02-20-09 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 06:22 PM
GreenBes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the write up mole. I will bust out my tie rod puller this weekend (or next) and see if I can't get an idea of what shape my tie rod ends are in. Gonna be real aggravating if I have to replace them and get another alignment! (Although I would imagine only the toe would be off - maybe I can get a discount?)

Anyone know if the supra tie rods would fit? Or are we stuck buying lexus OEM?

-Sam
Old 02-20-09, 07:53 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

You probably won't need a tie rod puller unless you are replacing the inners as well. The outers will pop right off the hub with a few smacks lol.

Aftermarket outer tie rods should have the same part number for 92-00 SC and 93-98 Supra. Checkout rockauto.com as they list all the other applications that the outer tie rod will fit.
Old 02-20-09, 08:42 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

supra outer tie rods work. JIC and megan makes some. im sure some other companies do too. you dont need a tie rod puller. i have one and never had to use it....ever.