Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBK Kits for upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 10:25 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I love sewell but their testing methodology left quite a bit to be desired from what I recall of it
I love the scientific comparison done on a public road, with traffic. LOL!!

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 10:29 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g_abac
Really? I saw that Sewell had testing about ISF Brembo BBK Kits with their IS350 and the outcome was conflict with you recommend. They said ISF Brembo BBK can do better than F-sport BBK when compare with their reference via www.f-sport.com
I'm a Sewell loyal customer but I would take those findings with a grain of salt due to variations in the testing conditions.
Old 02-24-09, 10:53 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

I don't know why they recommend ISF BBK more than F-Sport BBK. The reply that I got from Darrel was ;

Ahhh yes, good point. When installing either BBK, you are required to change the wheels. With the F-Sport kit, you can get away with using the 18” G-Spider’s or the 18” ISP wheels. With the IS-F Brembo’s you would be required to install a 19” wheel (the 19” F-Sport wheels will work). The ONLY modification that will need to be performed is for the rear brake splash guard. Because the rotors are much larger than stock, the rear splash guards need to be modified. This modification is described in the Lexus installation instructions for the F-Sport.

And by the way, for the replacement brake pads the IS-F Brembo front and rear pads retail at $592 whereas the F-Sport front and rear pads retail for $614 – close enough in our terms. Now on the rotors, there’s a drastic difference. A single F-Sport brake rotor retails for $1100 and the IS-F Brake rotor retails at a lower $274. With this being said, I believe is safe to say the service and parts support for the IS-F Brembo brakes is better position that the F-Sport brakes.

These lead to higher maintain cost for F-Sport BBK which higher when comparing with ISF Brembo!!!

Is it truth?

Rotors and Pads from Stoptech are expensive than Brembo?????
Old 02-24-09, 11:03 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

A single F-Sport brake rotor retails for $1100 and the IS-F Brake rotor retails at a lower $274.
The retail price for the F-Sport BBK is around $5500. The rotors alone retail for 80% of the price of the whole kit??? Is this for real?
Old 02-24-09, 11:14 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Hmm... I love Sewell, but this reads like advice from someone who's never serviced a BBK.

1. With either of these kits, you'll have to modify ALL of the dust shield/splash guards, not just the fronts. As someone who's worked on both of these kits, I can say this with all confidence. You wouldn't have to "modify" the dust shields for the IS-F Brembo kit because you have to replace them with the IS-F shields.

2. There are a ton of different brand pads you can use with the F-Sport kit, not just the "F-Sport/Lexus" ones they sell at the dealer - and you can get them for much, much cheaper.

3. The reason the IS-F rotor is so much cheaper than the F-Sport rotor is because the OEM IS-F rotor is a one piece cast iron design, and non-directional to boot (meaning there's no right or left - only a front/rear part number). The F-Sport/StopTech rotor is a two-piece floating rotor - superior in weight savings and performance to a one-piece rotor. There's also a separate right/left design for both the front and the rear. When it comes time to change your rotors, you disassemble the rotor and change only the worn friction ring and replace the fasteners. There's no need to buy a complete F-Sport replacement rotor because all you need is the friction ring.

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 11:14 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Peteris250
Depend on what you need from them ;

Performance ; I will choose F-Sport for 6 pistons front & 4 pistons rear. (IS-F Brembo are 6 pistons front & 2 pistons rear)

Brand ; I will go directly with IS-F Brembo. But you also can't get Brembo's brand on calipers because they put LEXUS.
Originally Posted by pisaykotik
The retail price for the F-Sport BBK is around $5500. The rotors alone retail for 80% of the price of the whole kit??? Is this for real?
I don't know why they offer price like that. For the above information, I got from reply e-mail by Darrel of Sewell. I had sent an e-mail to ask them about after service cost and replacement parts.
Old 02-24-09, 11:30 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

But the conflict was happened when I had tried to contact with Stoptech. As we know that, F-Sport BBK was manufactured by Stoptech. So, I had sent an e-mail to ask customer service of Stoptech about the rotors and pads for F-Sport BBK and they already reply.

For the rotors, they recommend their 2 pcs. Aerorotors which is the same as F-Sport rotor but available in Slotted or Drilled.

31.737.1101.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Left/Slotted/355x32/$260
31.737.1102.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Right/Slotted/355x32/$260
31.626.1101.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Left/Slotted/345x28/$255
31.626.1102.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Right/Slotted/345x28/$255

For the pads, they recommend Performance Friction 1038 Brake Pads
Front (6 POTS) $175
Rear (4 POTS) $159

So, which supplier information should I believe?
I'm a oversea customer. So, I have to import everything thus make me check more about detail.

Last edited by g_abac; 02-24-09 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 11:39 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Hmm... I love Sewell, but this reads like advice from someone who's never serviced a BBK.

1. With either of these kits, you'll have to modify ALL of the dust shield/splash guards, not just the fronts. As someone who's worked on both of these kits, I can say this with all confidence. You wouldn't have to "modify" the dust shields for the IS-F Brembo kit because you have to replace them with the IS-F shields.

2. There are a ton of different brand pads you can use with the F-Sport kit, not just the "F-Sport/Lexus" ones they sell at the dealer - and you can get them for much, much cheaper.

3. The reason the IS-F rotor is so much cheaper than the F-Sport rotor is because the OEM IS-F rotor is a one piece cast iron design, and non-directional to boot (meaning there's no right or left - only a front/rear part number). The F-Sport/StopTech rotor is a two-piece floating rotor - superior in weight savings and performance to a one-piece rotor. There's also a separate right/left design for both the front and the rear. When it comes time to change your rotors, you disassemble the rotor and change only the worn friction ring and replace the fasteners. There's no need to buy a complete F-Sport replacement rotor because all you need is the friction ring.

Javier

I think F-Sport BBK also come with their Splash Guard. So, both of F-Sport and ISF Brembo not require any modification but just move the oem off and replace with the new one. I'm right?

The Technic department mention that F-Sport BBK are the same quality as their product line but different only the logo on caliper.

F-Sport BBK Front = Stoptech ST-60
F-Sport BBK Rear = Stoptech ST-40

As I seen the detail, Look like F-Sport BBK will come with better material than ISF Brembo because ISF Brembo was not the same quality as Brembo GT version.

So, F-Sport BBK > ISF Brembo
But Brembo GT BBK > F-Sport BBK
Then, Brembo GT BBK > F-Sport BBK(Stoptech ST-60 & ST-40) > ISF Brembo BBK

Right or wrong?

Last edited by g_abac; 02-24-09 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-24-09, 11:48 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

But the conflict was happened when I had tried to contact with Stoptech. As we know that, F-Sport BBK was manufactured by Stoptech. So, I had sent an e-mail to ask customer service of Stoptech about the rotors and pads for F-Sport BBK and they already reply.

For the rotors, they recommend their 2 pcs. Aerorotors which is the same as F-Sport rotor but available in Slotted or Drilled.

31.737.1101.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Left/Slotted/355x32/$260
31.737.1102.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Right/Slotted/355x32/$260
31.626.1101.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Left/Slotted/345x28/$255
31.626.1102.99 AeroRotor Friction Ring/Right/Slotted/345x28/$255

For the pads, they recommend Performance Friction 1038 Brake Pads
Front $175
Rear $159

So, which supplier information should I believe?
I'm a oversea customer. So, I have to import everything thus make me check more about detail.
I'm very confused as to what you're trying to find out. If you go F-Sport, you're going to have to buy the complete F-Sport kit that comes with everything you need. You won't have to change your brake pads for a few years, unless you plan on tracking the car every weekend. I don't see the conflicting information - A set of front or rear (2) F-Sport rotors (friction ring, hat, & fasteners) retails for $1100, which is true. StopTech just quoted you $255 for each friction ring. What exactly are you trying to find out???

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 11:51 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I think F-Sport BBK also come with their Splash Guard. So, both of F-Sport and ISF Brembo not require any modification but just move the oem off and replace with the new one. I'm right?

As I seen the detail, Look like F-Sport BBK will come with better material than ISF Brembo.

So, F-Sport BBK > ISF Brembo
But Brembo GT BBK > F-Sport BBK

Right or wrong?
The F-Sport BBK does not come with dust shield/splash guards. You have to remove or modify your OEM dust shield to fit, as detailed in the F-Sport instruction manual.

I would rank the F-Sport BBK ahead of the OEM IS-F Brembo kit just because the F-Sport kit includes two-piece, directional rotors, which are MUCH lighter than the one piece, non-directional rotors that the IS-F BBK uses.

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 12:24 PM
g_abac
Pole Position

Javier
I'm very confused as to what you're trying to find out. If you go F-Sport, you're going to have to buy the complete F-Sport kit that comes with everything you need. You won't have to change your brake pads for a few years, unless you plan on tracking the car every weekend. I don't see the conflicting information - A set of front or rear (2) F-Sport rotors (friction ring, hat, & fasteners) retails for $1100, which is true. StopTech just quoted you $255 for each friction ring. What exactly are you trying to find out???

Javier
I intend to use slotted rotor for my car. The drilled rotor that come with F-Sport BBK will not durable for track at weekend. I'm not convenient to change the rotor in every weekend for a track. So,can I replace only friction ring(slotted) or have to go with whole set of rotor (Friction ring, hat $ Fasteners)?
Old 02-24-09, 12:26 PM
g_abac
Pole Position

The F-Sport BBK does not come with dust shield/splash guards. You have to remove or modify your OEM dust shield to fit, as detailed in the F-Sport instruction manual.

I would rank the F-Sport BBK ahead of the OEM IS-F Brembo kit just because the F-Sport kit includes two-piece, directional rotors, which are MUCH lighter than the one piece, non-directional rotors that the IS-F BBK uses.

Javier
Can I find the new set of dust shield/splash guards to replace the oem?
Old 02-24-09, 12:29 PM
g_abac
Pole Position

Javier, Thanks very much for the deeply detail and sorry for waste your time. Your information are benefit for me to make a decision because I have to find the detail , part and import them in 1 time for safe the shipping cost.
Old 02-24-09, 12:31 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I intend to use slotted rotor for my car. The drilled rotor that come with F-Sport BBK will not durable for track at weekend. I'm not convenient to change the rotor in every weekend for a track. So,can I replace only friction ring(slotted) or have to go with whole set of rotor (Friction ring, hat $ Fasteners)?
If you just want to change the friction rings from drilled to slotted, all you need to do is buy the friction rings, which will run you about 1000 USD. You won't need to change the fasteners since I assume you'll be swapping the rings before you install them on the car.

Can I find the new set of dust shield/splash guards to replace the oem?
You can modify your OEM dust shield and reuse it. That's what I did, and it works fine.

Javier
Old 02-24-09, 05:06 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Does F-Sport BBK work with IS-F rims?

Quick Reply: BBK Kits for upgrade