Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunk and popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 10:00 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check if the spring is sitting properly onto the shock mount plate.

Also check your LBJ...and check all nuts/bolts that none are loose.
Old 03-01-09, 01:21 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Same here... I have no changed any of my ball joints yet. Had my struts/shocks done already. It only makes noise when going at slow speeds on turns or when the car rebounds up. It makes like a metal squeak sound and that's the best way I could describe it. It makes me feel like my car is not luxurious, although it drives like a champ and suspension is still great. The metal squeaking sound is making the car degrade. =\
I hope some could find the answers to this. Could it be: ball joints, upper control arms, bushings, or something else?
Old 03-09-09, 04:30 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change your lower ball joints! I had clunk poping noises and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I took out the old suspension, inspected, and reinstalled to manual specifics.

I finally got my lazy butt to change out the lower ball joints and after that no more clunk. My mechanic said that my ball joints were really bad btw.
Old 03-09-09, 10:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
Check if the spring is sitting properly onto the shock mount plate.

Also check your LBJ...and check all nuts/bolts that none are loose.
I will try to check that but I am not exactly sure what I would be looking for, I have heard it will squeak if it is not properly sitting in.
Old 03-09-09, 10:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by joshoowa
change your lower ball joints! I had clunk poping noises and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I took out the old suspension, inspected, and reinstalled to manual specifics.

I finally got my lazy butt to change out the lower ball joints and after that no more clunk. My mechanic said that my ball joints were really bad btw.
What year is your car and how many miles? Good thing you got your BJs replaced before they went especially if you could have been driving at high speeds as that could have been a disaster.

The problem is this squeaking/creaking issue still occurs after many owners replace their ball joint or the ball joints have been checked and are fine and they are not the culprit. This creak/squeak pretty much always occurs from the front passenger side wheel area and happens when going over bumps, especially speed bumps which most say is something other then the balljoints. I think I have narrowed my issue down to the struts or strut mounts as when I tried tightening the center bolt in the strut mount it would make a very similar creaking/squeaking noise when I put pressure on it going back and forth.
Old 03-09-09, 10:33 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
I had a clicking noise when I pressed the brake pedal and rotated the wheel right to left. it turned out that my left upper control arm balljoint was done.
Thats exactly my problem is so did u really install the new upper control arm or u just replaced those with the new bushing ???

Andy
Old 03-19-09, 11:15 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the same crap on my car everytime i am pulling in my driveway or backing out of the driveway i hate that popping and clonking noise
Old 03-25-09, 04:40 AM
SC34M3
Advanced

me 3. will check the bj and the strut bushings . thanks
Old 03-25-09, 12:49 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how many miles on your car?

it might actually be worn engine mounts causing your engine to sag and hit the lower chassis brace.

it happens.
Old 03-26-09, 11:20 AM
tomtsops
Driver

if i'm going to replace my lower ball joints, should i also replace my tie rods? How do i know if they need replacing?

Also, i was looking in my service manual and couldn't find the upper control arm ball joint... where is that?
Old 04-09-09, 05:06 PM
[ Mongo ]
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with mine, so with a help of a buddy we ripped out the coilovers to send in to Tein and have them look 'em over. I talked to a tech at Tein and asked whether a shock w/o visible leakage would actually cause the clunk, and he replied that that is a possibility. I'm sending my pillow bushings along with the shock for overhauling as this way we'll eliminate any questions that might arise about the pillow bushings. There were some other small sway bar links that were visibly old/worn out which need replacing, so am in the process of doing just that. Another thing I found out while I took the wheels off my car was that some genius decided to use standard lugs on metric studs when I had the lugs changed as suggested to have the wheels sit better (the whole trial/error process of eliminating clunk) to which I agreed. I wound up breaking three studs off the rear right side of wheel, and two off front left side of wheel.
Old 04-10-09, 11:59 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by [ Mongo ]
I have the same issue with mine, so with a help of a buddy we ripped out the coilovers to send in to Tein and have them look 'em over. I talked to a tech at Tein and asked whether a shock w/o visible leakage would actually cause the clunk, and he replied that that is a possibility. I'm sending my pillow bushings along with the shock for overhauling as this way we'll eliminate any questions that might arise about the pillow bushings. There were some other small sway bar links that were visibly old/worn out which need replacing, so am in the process of doing just that. Another thing I found out while I took the wheels off my car was that some genius decided to use standard lugs on metric studs when I had the lugs changed as suggested to have the wheels sit better (the whole trial/error process of eliminating clunk) to which I agreed. I wound up breaking three studs off the rear right side of wheel, and two off front left side of wheel.
how much they charging you to rebuild them?
Old 05-03-09, 12:48 PM
[ Mongo ]
Driver School Candidate

About 1/3 of the what it would cost to buy brand new set up. The only thing that sucks it's going to take another three weeks for Tein to get my system back to me since supposedly didn't have parts in stock. Ahhhhh been waiting patiently to get my car back on the road again.

Note: FYI if any of you have your car worked on by any shop out there, be sure to tell them to not use an impact gun to zip your wheels on/off the car, unless you want stripped studs or potentially broken studs. Tell them specifically to take wheels off using hand/ratchet, and if that's an issue by all means you have a right to go somewhere else.

Last edited by [ Mongo ]; 05-03-09 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 09:08 AM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Dittto Ball joints, and tie rods. Add a set of Daizen urethane steering rack bushings while you're at it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-journal.html

Motor mounts also might be an issue.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-mounts.html
Old 05-07-09, 09:04 PM
[ Mongo ]
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexamatic
Dittto Ball joints, and tie rods. Add a set of Daizen urethane steering rack bushings while you're at it. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...d-journal.html

Motor mounts also might be an issue.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...or-mounts.html
Motor mounts would ideally be visible simply by popping your hood and revving up the car engine. I had a car that ran extremely hot, meaning it was set up to run fast and that it did. When the motor mount went out, I could clearly hear it constantly clanking, did the revving of engine with hood popped and pretty much saw how much engine moved, figured what was wrong.

Just remembered when the muffler goes bad you'll get a constant noise as well. Thorn through two different exhaust systems before settling on all stainless which cured the crumbling of honeycomb in exhaust which was another culprit of clunking noise. Easiest way to check muffler is using a dead blow hammer tapping muffler.. if muffler isn't any good you'll hear it sloshing around.

Quick Reply: clunk and popping noise