Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunk and popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 06:38 PM
[ Mongo ]
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got the my car back and running, yeah baby. So, the whole notion of the clunk(ing) noise is pretty much gone. I had Tein rebuild my shocks, look over my pillow mounts, replace what was needed, and charge my shocks back up. The car rides so nice now, couldn't tell that it has a full blown modded suspension on it and on low pros sporting 20's. Thanks to two of my buddies that helped plug the system back in my car over the weekend which allowed me to take it over to this high-end shop to make adjustments to coilovers, including camber and alignment, now it rides smooth. The tech at the high end shop was so excited when he came back from test driving my car that he said "that's it I'm getting myself one of these." He went on about how he loved the transmission in my car and said that Lexus ought to teach Bentley (pointing to Griffey Jr's car in the showroom) how to built a transmission LOL. All I want to say is the Junior's Bentley looked sick, man those guys did an awesome job on it.

Come to think of it now, guessing here, whenever the suspension rebounds on a shock that has lost pressure, that would cause it to hit hard (the tech explained to me how the whole notion works) and pretty much get the clunking noise. The pillow mounts on my LS series are both bad and whenever I drive it over rough patch of road it clunks like it's going to fall apart. So, have more work ahead of me, unless.. Well, I'm stoked that my car is up and running thanks to two of my buddies and guys at CarNutzCustomz (got to admit I got hooked up re-chroming my wheels and they've handled my suspension needs.)
Old 07-06-09, 09:40 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spyder78
Sounds like top hats. Maybe grease the top hats with lithium grease and see what happens.
I keep seeing this mentioned and I want to try it, but what and where are the top hats?
Old 07-06-09, 12:49 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off, wtf "rx300", "transmission" as tags?

I have the same issue as well, but only when at slow speeds, like going in/out of my garage and hitting my brakes.

Here's my situation...
new Bilstein PSS coilover (less than a month)
new ball joint 1 year ago
new tie rod 2 years ago
new upper ball joint/arm 1 year ago
new sway bar bushing
new steering rack bushing
new wheel bearings 1 year ago
new front RCA and bolt this spring
new front caliper/rotor/pad about 2 years ago
just got an alignment last Wednesday.

and it still makes the metal sound. it even did it when I had the HKS. I've taken apart the front suspension multiple times and I haven't found anything yet.

I'm excluding the top hat issues you guys suggest since my HKS came with it's top hat and my Bilstein uses the OEM top hats yet still makes the same sound.
Old 07-16-09, 02:58 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys I'm having this same issue as well, only when going fairly slow over speed bumps and driveways entrances I'm hearing the clunk sound. The weird thing is, that when I had my stock suspension I never heard the sound, now with my new suspension I'm starting to hear it more. I know it's not the top hats because I removed them and still heard the sound, I'm planning on replacing my ball joints hopefully by the end of the month as well. I also hear it could be that the Upper control arm is hitting the fender liner since the car is low? Anyone else heard about this?
Old 08-04-09, 12:10 AM
ssimmons
Driver School Candidate

I'm experiencing the exact same problem and it's the only thing that bothers me about the car right now. I have an 04 GS430. About 2 years ago I put on 20" rims (8.5" fronts, 10" rears) and Eibach springs on the stock struts all on the same day. This was at 25k miles. Got an alignment before the car was driven one mile with the mods. Camber looks fine. The car sits right and handles very well. At first I had an extremely noticeable rattle when driving over abrupt bumps, potholes, and especially cobblestone (brick) streets. My mechanic couldn't figure it out but was confident that the springs were installed correctly. I took the car into Lexus and they discovered that the brake heat shields were loose. They tightened them up and that corrected the big rattle. Now I am just left with the noise you guys are talking about. It sounds like a dull, quick, slightly muffled metal on metal thud, rattle or scraping noise that I hear mostly when traveling over small bumps, humps in the road, or uneven pavement at low speeds. Between 15 and 40 mph. Sounds like it's coming from the driver's side. I can hit a major obstruction like a really big speed bump or take a really hard turn where the suspension really flexes and travels and it's completley quiet and solid. It seems to happen when "floating" slowly over small stuff in the road. So every time I go to the dealership for service I insist that they thoroughly check out the front end. The ball joints, upper and lower control arms, control arm bushings, sway bars and bushings, steering rack bushing, caster arms, wheel bearings... everything. I can't stand it. I love the car... I just want this **** fixed. The last time I took it in they told me that I had a bad bearing in the top hat or upper perch of the driver's side strut. They told me it would be $350 to replace it. I have the platinum extended service contract and after making my case and urging my service advisor to call the service company (which he did in front of me) they agreed to cover it and replaced the bearing under warranty. The car is an 04 but I only have about 35k miles on it. Got the car back and it didn't fix anything. Still makes the noise. The car rides nice but it makes me wanna buy coilovers or even bags just to get away from noises like this. I would love for a second generation gs front suspension pro to diagnose and fix my car or for one of you guys having the same problem to find a fix and share. Hope this helps. At least to describe the problem in detail. Sorry for the long post. Please help if you know. I've been reading GS "noise" posts for years. Many thanks
Old 08-04-09, 08:57 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kamlung
i had this problem only when the wheel was slightly turned out and i would go over a bump... for example backing out of a driveway and turning out... when the wheel would hit from the driveway to the road, the bump would cause a click/pop...

it turned out to be my UCA ball joint...
Yea seems to be a very common thing with our GS's... I have the same issue... I've heard from another member that the Daizen control arm bushing kit should fix the problem.. I have new ball joints so i know that its not that.. I've had the car looked at up and down and the mech. couldn't find anything.. SO the next step is the kit but its on National backorder...

Seems to be happening when we lower the cars and put added stress on the bushings.. It didn't happen when i got the car..
Old 08-04-09, 01:15 PM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a dumb question:

How hard is it to replace the bushings in the front of the car? Lexus says they are not replaceable and wants to charge me for new upper A arms and lower A arms. Do you need a press to put the new bushings in, or is it something I can do in my garage with a vice or hammer?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-09, 01:49 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by hacker_720
Here's a dumb question:

How hard is it to replace the bushings in the front of the car? Lexus says they are not replaceable and wants to charge me for new upper A arms and lower A arms. Do you need a press to put the new bushings in, or is it something I can do in my garage with a vice or hammer?

Thanks.
you'll need a press. i'm sure there are other ways to take it out....but i wouldn't recommend heating up the arm since it's such a critical part of the suspension. I've seen people use a bigass washer on each side and using a bolt/nut to squeeze it in but I would much rather use the correct tools for the job.

IIRC kouki lower control arm #2 come with the TRD bushing and is like 150 each aren't they? It's the upperarm that's expensive. I'd just get aftermarket ones with the camber adjustable ball joint if I have to do it again.

...i hope i'm not talking out of my ***.
Old 08-04-09, 01:55 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I know it's not the top hats because I removed them and still heard the sound,
I agree. I went from HKS Hipermax coilovers use has it's own top hats to Bilstein PSS which utilizes the OEM top hats and still makes the same sound at same situations.

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
I also hear it could be that the Upper control arm is hitting the fender liner since the car is low? Anyone else heard about this?
how low are you? I was almost all the way down on HKS hipermax and it did it every once in a while when I hit a huge pothole. You'll definitely feel it if it is hitting the top of the wheel well....it makes you cringe. if you're still not sure, take off your wheel, and look up in the well. If you are hitting, you'll see the mark where it's hitting.
Old 08-05-09, 04:39 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
you'll need a press. i'm sure there are other ways to take it out....but i wouldn't recommend heating up the arm since it's such a critical part of the suspension. I've seen people use a bigass washer on each side and using a bolt/nut to squeeze it in but I would much rather use the correct tools for the job.

IIRC kouki lower control arm #2 come with the TRD bushing and is like 150 each aren't they? It's the upperarm that's expensive. I'd just get aftermarket ones with the camber adjustable ball joint if I have to do it again.

...i hope i'm not talking out of my ***.
Thanks for the info, I guess I will get a shop to do it for me. Or I will look into aftermarket ones.
Old 08-10-09, 10:01 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ok im getting a lot of clunking/popping sounds now.. to the point where when i drive up a drive way to.. say In n out... the car would pop n everyone would look at me...

it cant be the spring since im on air... cant be the ball joint since i replaced those yesterday... cant be the steering bushings since replaced em with daizen recently.. not sure if its the sway bars but the bracket feels tight.. not sure if it UCA since it feels like it makes clunks under my foot well area... near the gas peddle =/
Old 08-10-09, 11:56 PM
kit cat

Originally Posted by vwynn
ok im getting a lot of clunking/popping sounds now.. to the point where when i drive up a drive way to.. say In n out... the car would pop n everyone would look at me...

it cant be the spring since im on air... cant be the ball joint since i replaced those yesterday... cant be the steering bushings since replaced em with daizen recently.. not sure if its the sway bars but the bracket feels tight.. not sure if it UCA since it feels like it makes clunks under my foot well area... near the gas peddle =/
I'm in the same boat...and yes, near the foot well and peddles also! I cannot think of anything else that could be shifting around there...ugh.

I just did my lower ball joints AGAIN last weekend and checked every front suspension components and all of them seem tight and not loose (including upper ball joint)....

btw, and off topic, how do you like your Endless pads? Debating if I want Vita Nuovas or Project Mus.
Old 08-11-09, 08:41 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
I'm in the same boat...and yes, near the foot well and peddles also! I cannot think of anything else that could be shifting around there...ugh.

I just did my lower ball joints AGAIN last weekend and checked every front suspension components and all of them seem tight and not loose (including upper ball joint)....

btw, and off topic, how do you like your Endless pads? Debating if I want Vita Nuovas or Project Mus.

could it be... the 48670-30240
Lexus OEM Front Suspension Arm Sub-Assy Lower No.2 Lh??

thinking the bushing might be dead there...

as for the pads. they are pretty good pads. silent pads and stop well.. just more dusty. if you wash your car once a week or so you'll be fine.
Old 08-11-09, 11:20 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by vwynn
could it be... the 48670-30240
Lexus OEM Front Suspension Arm Sub-Assy Lower No.2 Lh??

thinking the bushing might be dead there...

as for the pads. they are pretty good pads. silent pads and stop well.. just more dusty. if you wash your car once a week or so you'll be fine.
I read other threads but seems like most people think that's not the culprit. i looked at it few nights ago but the bushing was still there, a little deformed but not torn or anything.

as for the Endless....well, I don't wash my car a lot lol.
Old 08-11-09, 11:31 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

i notice that the sound increased after i installed my Ksport air suspension.. im assuming i increased the wear on one of the bushings since i slam my car when i park a lot but im not sure...

possible to get Lexus/toyota involved?? seeing that this is a problem for MANY MANY 2gs owners.

Quick Reply: clunk and popping noise