Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension 1/2 an inch off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 04:31 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by teins4me
yes i have the sleeved coilover that go over the stock shocks. i really dont think its "ghetto" when they are made by skunk2. since the sc300 and is300 are close in weight i thought they would work just fine on my sc.
The IS300 weighs around 500lbs less than the SC300.
Old 02-27-09, 07:26 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thining the same thing...just cut your springs. It is what the domestic guys do.

I hear you on wanting to drop the car and not pay the money but this is why there are issues with it. Have you jacked the car up to see if there is any damage? I am wondering if you stripped the seat right off and it is now just sitting there. I know that it is overused sometimes but there is a reason this stuff is expensive and it is the R&D...you gotta pay to play (I know I did not just say that )

Be careful man.
Old 02-27-09, 09:30 AM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
The IS300 weighs around 500lbs less than the SC300.
No, actually the weight diffrence between the is300 and sc300 is 250-300 lbs depending on the year.
Old 02-27-09, 09:45 AM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
I was thining the same thing...just cut your springs. It is what the domestic guys do.

I hear you on wanting to drop the car and not pay the money but this is why there are issues with it. Have you jacked the car up to see if there is any damage? I am wondering if you stripped the seat right off and it is now just sitting there. I know that it is overused sometimes but there is a reason this stuff is expensive and it is the R&D...you gotta pay to play (I know I did not just say that )

Be careful man.
I know what cut springs will do to a car and the ride its just as bad as getting those ebay coilovers.

But I believe these springs were engineered by a reputable company for safe road driving.

i jacked up the car yesterday and looked at the seat and it was at the bottom of the shocks so i guess what happen is after i hit those big pothole there was so much force coming down on suspension it blew the seat right off of the knotches in the stock KYBs but the coilovers were fine so the failure here is the stock KYBs seats i didnt know the seats werent welded arent they all suppose to be welded to the body of the shock?
Old 02-27-09, 12:18 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

No, actually the weight diffrence between the is300 and sc300 is 250-300 lbs depending on the year.
Even if it's 300 lbs I still wouldn't use it. Do it once and do it right.
Old 02-27-09, 04:13 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what cut springs will do to a car and the ride its just as bad as getting those ebay coilovers.

But I believe these springs were engineered by a reputable company for safe road driving.

i jacked up the car yesterday and looked at the seat and it was at the bottom of the shocks so i guess what happen is after i hit those big pothole there was so much force coming down on suspension it blew the seat right off of the knotches in the stock KYBs but the coilovers were fine so the failure here is the stock KYBs seats i didnt know the seats werent welded arent they all suppose to be welded to the body of the shock?
Some are welded.The others just have bumps (squared) so its sitting on bumps .If you can take the sleeve off,then take the shock to a place where they can weld a bead around the shock. But make sure they dont burn through the shock. Heck since you like the coilovers,take all of the shocks to get done, to prevent another whamy.
Old 02-27-09, 09:36 PM
BattleVer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless the shock is just an insert, you cant or dont want to weld it. For sure it will blow.

Sounds like the coil over kit you used didnt fit around the shock well, ether bend the clips on the kyb's, or just plain destroyed them. Time to buy some new kyb's, and put some regular drop springs. You want lower, get real coil overs, not tein street stuff that you cant drop much.