Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension 1/2 an inch off the ground

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 10:10 AM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy front suspension 1/2 an inch off the ground

I have skunk2 coilovers for a is300 on stock shocks on my sc300. i had them down all the way and i was riding on them fine for about 3 weeks UNTIL yesterday i hit 2 big potholes one of the right side and then one on the left side, these were right after each other. After i hit them the front just slammed to the ground and once i got home i jacked it up, took off the front wheels and screwed them up so there were no gaps from the spring but for some reason it still slammed.

Does anybody know what could be the problem? i'm guessing it could be blown shocks maybe..
Old 02-26-09, 11:04 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

sell that nonsense and get real coilovers before you kill yourself and worse of all someone else on the road because your car is unsafe and you ghetto rid stuff together and expect it to work.

post some pictures.

there are ways to interchange parts between different cars but you have to be smart about it and use common sense or as a person with life experience or engineering experience.

do you have those coilover sleeves that go on the stock shocks? what springs are you using? did you reuse your stock springs and simply lower the car? this causes the stroke of the shock to reduce greatly and dull the shock damping response.

cant have this talk without pics.
Old 02-26-09, 11:08 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe getting the right suspension setup for the SC would be a start.......
Old 02-26-09, 11:17 AM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

yes i have the sleeved coilover that go over the stock shocks. i really dont think its "ghetto" when they are made by skunk2. since the sc300 and is300 are close in weight i thought they would work just fine on my sc.
Old 02-26-09, 11:27 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

sc and is close in weight. i wouldnt say that.

and in your opinion skunk2 is a good company?
Old 02-26-09, 11:44 AM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

yes i would say skunk2 is a good company they have done well and are very reputable in the honda world so i dont see why their other products for other makes would be any less.
Old 02-26-09, 11:46 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics are going to help greatly as 5sp said. I would not call sk2 a quality company either. Did the spring set nicely in the sleeve?? I am wondering if something slipped out. Not to be an *** but these are not really coilovers and this is why there is a major cost difference.

Just curious but why were you using an is3 sleeve?
Old 02-26-09, 11:50 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by teins4me
yes i would say skunk2 is a good company they have done well and are very reputable in the honda world so i dont see why their other products for other makes would be any less.
not here to bust your ***** but using the Honda argument is not a strong one. Performance shops keep the doors open on the honda crowd because the parts are cheap ( inexpensive and most poorly made) and a lot of variations.

Honda makes great cars and they last a long time. No argument there. However besides a few outliers not many hold up high HP for long. It is more for the cosmetic upgrading IMO.
Old 02-26-09, 12:28 PM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
pics are going to help greatly as 5sp said. I would not call sk2 a quality company either. Did the spring set nicely in the sleeve?? I am wondering if something slipped out. Not to be an *** but these are not really coilovers and this is why there is a major cost difference.

Just curious but why were you using an is3 sleeve?

i dont have a camera right now to take pics but yes the sleeves did seat nicely and it was riding fine until those potholes. yea i under stand why there is a cost diffrence but i really dont care about preformance all i was going for is the look. i would have rather spend money on these then buying some springs that were only going to drop it 1.5 inch at most.

the only reason i am using is3 sleeves is because they do not make them for sc300's.
Old 02-26-09, 12:37 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you should get some teins4you
Old 02-26-09, 01:11 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

if you are doing it for looks then might as well just cut your stock springs and call it a day. i want to see the sleeves and their fitment on the SC shock. if there is slight play it can cause it to fail.

im all for modifying cars and especially DIY but you really have to know whats going on for it to work.
Old 02-26-09, 01:12 PM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

the car had some teins but it wasnt low enough for me thats why i took them off
Old 02-26-09, 01:20 PM
teins4me
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you are doing it for looks then might as well just cut your stock springs and call it a day. i want to see the sleeves and their fitment on the SC shock. if there is slight play it can cause it to fail.

im all for modifying cars and especially DIY but you really have to know whats going on for it to work.

if i did cut the stock springs then it would be bouncing everywhere. these springs gave a good ride with the stock shocks.
Old 02-26-09, 03:32 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Wow thats pretty cool.....i didnt know they fit. Now all i need to know if those cheap coilovers from ebay for $40 will.I'l rock those untill i get money for real ones.
Old 02-26-09, 10:49 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're playing right? ^^^^

Quick Reply: front suspension 1/2 an inch off the ground