Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lexus service tech told me they only change the brake fluid in the reservoirs

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 10:03 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Just to be clear on my earlier post, I was not advocating to avoid brake fluid flushes for 10 to 15 years just because I hadn't done so in my Cressida. I was actually trying to indicate that there is definitely a difference in the firmness and feel of the brakes when there there is old fluid versus new fluid. I agree that brake fluid should be changed out regularily.

The only reason I hadn't changed out my brake fluid in the Cressida is that cars, like the Lexus and Cressida are so good and reliable for so long that they almost lull you into oblivion when it comes to maintenance.
Old 03-02-09, 11:57 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sarah
when I had my GS in for brake fluid service, I assumed that it meant the brake lines would be cleared of most old fluid.

like all dealer service departments, this one didn't let customers inside the service bay, but there's a small window that customers can see in.

I noticed that the tech opening the brake fluid cap and extracted the old fluid by a small powered device. I was expecting him to remove the wheels and bleed the brake lines. But no, he closed the hood and drove the car out. My service advisor came looking for me and told me it was done. I told him that I didn't see the tech do the job, but he said that's how they did it. I asked to speak with the service manager who told me the same thing. Not knowing what to do next, I paid the $105 bill and left.

When I got home, I started calling the other two Lexus dealerships near me. Both told me the same thing.. they don't bleed the brake lines, only replace the brake fluid in my GS.

Is this some new Lexus technique? I was always told that the brake lines had to be rid of all old fluid..
Welcome to the 21st century. Brake service flush, tranny flush, engine flush etc. can now be performed via machines. The Lexus dealer you went to seems to be up on the technology. These machines are pretty effective.. I had the Wynn brake system flush done on my GS many times.. The fluid is clean and the brake pedal feel is firm & true AFTER THE SERVICE. Highly recommended service to be done on the braking system.. Here is more info:

Can You See A Difference?

Brake fluid naturally attracts moisture, one of the leading causes of brake failure and repairs. The appearance of the brake fluid in the reservoir isn’t always the best way to tell if it needs replacing. Look at your odometer, if you’ve gone over your OEM recommended service interval, or your brake fluid doesn’t meet manufacturer’s specifications, it’s time to replace it.

The Problem:
Moisture is naturally absorbed by brake fluid over time.
Increasing moisture content lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid, possibly causing sluggish brake response or brake failure during:

Panic stops.
Stop-and-go driving.
Downhill braking.

Contributes to brake component corrosion, possibly causing expensive repairs:

An ABS brake assembly costs as much as $1,000.00

Brake fluid oxidizes and degrades over time.
Contributing to sluggish brake response and premature brake component repairs.
IT PAYS TO BE SAFE!

When it comes to safety, nothing is more critical than your brakes. Since the deterioration of the brake system is so gradual, you're less likely to notice a problem until it's too late. A brake flush service should be part of your normal maintenance schedule.

Make sure it's Wynn's.
Keep your vehicle safe with a fast and complete Wynns Brake Flush Service.

The Solution:
Completely flush the system of old brake fluid.
The complete brake system is flushed with the state-of-the-art Wynn’s Brake Flush Machine.

New brake fluid is fed into the master cylinder reservoir.
All four wheel cylinders are simultaneously bled.
All moisture and air are eliminated from the brake system.

Wynn's brake fluid exceeds U.S. Department of Transportation specifications.

The service helps extend the life of brake system components and provides brakes you can count on in all situations.

Environmentally correct service contains all used brake fluid to minimize technician exposure.

Wynn’s keeps you on the road with confidence.

For safety and the life of your vehicle, make sure a brake fluid service is a part of your normal maintenance schedule.

With Wynn's, you have over 60 years of auto-care experience ready to help you avoid breakdowns and other expenses.

It’s time for Wynn’s!

http://www.wynnsusa.com/maint_brake-flush.aspx
Old 03-02-09, 12:44 PM
sarah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Welcome to the 21st century. Brake service flush, tranny flush, engine flush etc. can now be performed via machines. The Lexus dealer you went to seems to be up on the technology. These machines are pretty effective.. I had the Wynn brake system flush done on my GS many times.. The fluid is clean and the brake pedal feel is firm & true AFTER THE SERVICE. Highly recommended service to be done on the braking system.. Here is more info:
they didn't use a machine... the service manager told me that they only use about 1/3 quart of brake fluid, to replace just the fluid inside the reservoir... they used a battery powered hand pump to suck out the fluid from the reservoir and refilled it with 1/3 quart of new brake fluid. the vehicle was still on the ground with all four wheels... they couldn't have used a machine to attach the to the brake bleed valves...

Edit: yes, just called the Lexus dealer I went to and they told me again, that only the fluid in the reservoir is replaced. they don't have any machines for brake flushin....

Last edited by sarah; 03-02-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-02-09, 01:21 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sarah
they didn't use a machine... the service manager told me that they only use about 1/3 quart of brake fluid, to replace just the fluid inside the reservoir... they used a battery powered hand pump to suck out the fluid from the reservoir and refilled it with 1/3 quart of new brake fluid. the vehicle was still on the ground with all four wheels... they couldn't have used a machine to attach the to the brake bleed valves...

Edit: yes, just called the Lexus dealer I went to and they told me again, that only the fluid in the reservoir is replaced. they don't have any machines for brake flushin....
What lexus did to your vehicle was not a proper brake stystem flush. Heck, it sounds as if they used the old turkey baster method which you could of done yourself at home.

Even the turkey baster method is the improper method of flushing brake fluid.

Unacceptable service on the part of Lexus. Give them a bad review & get your service done elsewhere.
Old 03-02-09, 01:37 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

HA, a $105.00 battery powered turkey baster brake fluid flush...
Old 03-02-09, 01:46 PM
sarah

Originally Posted by FrankT
HA, a $105.00 battery powered turkey baster brake fluid flush...
that's exactly what my Lexus service advisor said... except he didn't use "turkey baster".... he said it was like using a "big syringe" to suck out the brake fluid reservoir.

I don't have a problem with that, but I wonder why all three Lexus dealers in my area tell me that's how they do it?
Old 03-02-09, 02:38 PM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what a rip off.... its either u DIY or have a close mechanic u trust & fawk the dealers.. lol
Old 03-02-09, 05:21 PM
sjpobox
Driver

I am a lexus tech and we suck out half the fluid in the resevoir. we add a new can of fluid to the resevoir and leave it upside down. remove 4 wheels and bleed the brake lines <a air powered vacum for fluid> starting with the furthest axle from the resevoir. <r/rear l/rear r/front l/front>... this is the proper way, you should call lexus 1-800 number and raise hell. you payed for a brake system flush not a "top off fluids" svc.
Old 03-02-09, 05:24 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Im curious to see how they do 30k 60k 90k svcs. ask them how they bleed the brake system on these svcs.