Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upgraded Brake Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-02, 08:12 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgraded Brake Suggestions?

Well, it's time to replace my brake pads on my '95 SC4, so instead of changing the pads I was thinking that I might as well upgrade the whole package (well, the front for now)

Brembo has the size I want but are out of my price range (1k for each caliper?), RMM doesn't appear to offer a significant performance over the supra tt front brakes, and the supra tt front brakes (from what I have heard) are great but I want something bigger.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
nick
Old 03-07-02, 02:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're assed out basically. If you want a bigger rotor, you'll have to step up to the Big League and go with a Big Brake Kit from Brembo, AP, StopTech, etc...

$1K/caliper is cheap...$2K/caliper is expensive!

Unless you can find a used Big Brake kit (good luck!)...but even then, you'll probably need to change the rotors and brake pads... and I'm pretty sure you'll choke when you find out how much a new set of rotors and brake pads are for most big brake kits...

You gotta pay if you wanna play...
Old 03-07-02, 07:38 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want something BIGGER than a SupraTT brake?

You do realize that they are pretty big right? They'll stop the car faster than you realize
Old 03-14-02, 11:49 AM
JKAG
Driver

Default SC400 brakes

I'll buy your stock calipers if you give me a good price. That will lower your total cost.

I'd go supra tt, but, they won't fit under my rims.

e-mail me @ jkagan@kaganmedical.com

Jon
Old 04-06-02, 09:19 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra

Go with the supra brakes!!

The rotors are larger diameter than a C2 911 Turbo Porsche!!!

Late.

Ryan

I got '98 tt calipers and cross-drilled rotors for $150!!
Old 04-24-02, 03:07 PM
LEXO400sc
Driver School Candidate

Default Supra TT Questions... on SC 300

Hey guys.. I called the Toyota dealer inquiring about the two front Supra TT brake caliper set.. They told me the calipers were the 2 piston caliper brakes.. Is that what really comes in the Supra TT? I had thought they were 4 piston caliper.. I'm confused here! Which is the right caliper for me to get if I'm going to upgrade to TT calipers..

j0hny
Old 04-25-02, 01:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends on HOW they are counting the pistons/pots...there are TWO on each side...so a Supra TT is a 4 piston/pot but they COULD be looked at as two...though that's not correct...4 is correct.

Don't bother calling some jackass dealer...just call Steve Ganz. He's up to date, knows his *****, and has some of the best prices...
Old 05-04-02, 09:40 AM
007lexus
Driver

Default Re: Upgraded Brake Suggestions?

Originally posted by hellasboy
Well, it's time to replace my brake pads on my '95 SC4, so instead of changing the pads I was thinking that I might as well upgrade the whole package (well, the front for now)

Brembo has the size I want but are out of my price range (1k for each caliper?), RMM doesn't appear to offer a significant performance over the supra tt front brakes, and the supra tt front brakes (from what I have heard) are great but I want something bigger.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
nick
hey hellas,
do you have stock rims and tires or did you upgrade to 18in rims?
Old 05-04-02, 09:51 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Upgraded Brake Suggestions?

Originally posted by 007lexus

hey hellas,
do you have stock rims and tires or did you upgrade to 18in rims?
I don't think any stock rims will work with upgraded brakes...except maybe the likes of a Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 05-04-02, 01:23 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Stock 16" wheels will NOT fit any upgraded brake package. I have 18" wheels, I decided to keep them year round.
Anyways, I did the rear brakes, you can read about the trouble I had on another thread. I've been pretty busy these last 4 days but I'll get around to replying to all of them. I can now change my rotors in about 15 minutes, it's pretty easy once you know all the little tricks

They sent me the wrong rotors and I couldn't deal without driving my car for another week (it was 3 weeks already) so I put the others on. I don't know if these have any plating, the ones I initially ordered were cad plated and only crossdrilled. The front brakes should come in end of this week or next week, but I probably won't put them on until I get the paint stripped or sandblasted off the calipers and painted. I'll create a FAQ on changing the rear rotors so that others won't go through the same mistakes I went through. here's a pic of the rear rotor (stock size), i'll take a pic of it through the rim later.
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Brake Suggestions?-newrotor2.jpg