Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Race brakes lots of questions???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-09, 12:51 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race brakes lots of questions???

well I have been working on car hard core for the last 4 months. I have a 1992 sc300. So far I have done the following:

1jz swap
r154 trans
kaaz 2 way
pbm coilovers
ss brake lines
hawp hp pads (over 1 year old)
falken azenis rt615 tires

took it to autocross and it felt great but I am going to a road race event at buttonwillow and am a little concerned with my brakes. I don't have a big budget right now so I can't do a bbk. although i would love some stoptechs.

Also, I do have brake calipers and rotors off a jdm soarer which are a bit bigger than the sc300's.

also, This is not my daily I have 2 cars, but I would like to still drive it on the street. but I may be cool with installing pads at track then taking them off.

Questions:

1) are the soarer brakes the same as a sc400? (i think they are)
2) what kind of pads should i get?
3) what kind of rotors should i get?
4) anyone know a good site online to purchase?

thanks for the help
Old 03-06-09, 12:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

save up for some LS I say...they're roughly about 300-400 for a front set (TTs are a tad more expensive), and beats any combination of pads and/or rotors for a soarer any day
Old 03-06-09, 01:14 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Default LS400 pads

ya i have been thinking of that. what would be a good pad to go on that? I don't know who makes racing pads for those brakes.
Old 03-06-09, 03:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Carbotech makes pads for ls400s
Old 03-06-09, 03:55 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

hawk hps pads. and some dba slotted rotors have worked out on numerous cars ive driven. im not sure if dba has an application for SC's. i believe they have em for the LS though. but ive seen EBC with a set for the SC, and if i remember correctly stoptech has oem replacement rotors. id go with the stoptech. should be like 100-175 a rotor. youve already got the SS lines so youre in good shape there.

just remember to cool down the car inbetween runs.

and are you talkin about the button willow track day through speed ventures? cause im pretty sure thats not a road race event.
Old 03-06-09, 03:55 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

also the HPS pads are noisy and dusty. but they bite.
Old 03-06-09, 03:59 PM
FiSta
Lead Lap

porterfield-brakes.com they make great race type pads...i've used their carbon kelvar pads with a brembo kit and it was fantastic (overkill for an accord though). and they can make custom pads if you want
Old 03-07-09, 09:46 AM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Default verdict

this is what i am thinking

brand new ls400 95+ calipers raybestos from rock auto for 100 ea.
stoptech front slotted rotors 95+ 120 ea
hawk hp plus race pads (in between a street pad and race pad) 100 set
so around 500 all brand new front brakes.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-07-09, 10:10 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

sounds good. make sure to bed the pads in before you get on track.
Old 03-07-09, 10:17 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by FiSta
porterfield-brakes.com they make great race type pads...i've used their carbon kelvar pads with a brembo kit and it was fantastic (overkill for an accord though). and they can make custom pads if you want
I looked at Porterfield and they dont seem to make one for the LS in racing compound. I'm afraid to see how much they'll charge for custom pads
Old 03-07-09, 11:03 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drewdizzle
ya i have been thinking of that. what would be a good pad to go on that? I don't know who makes racing pads for those brakes.
imho, what you save in initial outlay buying the LS setup over the MKIV TT calipers will be gnawed away by the limited and expensive choices for pads over the longer term. You've made few compromises in your build to this point.

I'd make the case that the TT braking system for a car that will see ~140 mph track time warrants the $100-150 additional cost. You can run dirt cheap and excellent $55 Toyota eom pads (from Carson) and save over the custom LS pads.

If you are truly out of funds, hold off on the SS brake lines, use the existing one and spend that money later. (the pad savings and holding off on the SS lines gives you the $ and you have a superior core brake system to boot.)

Regarding the Falkens, I've experienced a temp rise of about 8psi on those tires at Infineon HPDE in Nor Cal summer and they do get soft. I'd call them passable, but haters will say they are slick as ice. I think they are ok in the spring and fall temps in this part of the country.
Old 03-07-09, 02:30 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCoupe
imho, what you save in initial outlay buying the LS setup over the MKIV TT calipers will be gnawed away by the limited and expensive choices for pads over the longer term. You've made few compromises in your build to this point.

I'd make the case that the TT braking system for a car that will see ~140 mph track time warrants the $100-150 additional cost. You can run dirt cheap and excellent $55 Toyota eom pads (from Carson) and save over the custom LS pads.

If you are truly out of funds, hold off on the SS brake lines, use the existing one and spend that money later. (the pad savings and holding off on the SS lines gives you the $ and you have a superior core brake system to boot.)

Regarding the Falkens, I've experienced a temp rise of about 8psi on those tires at Infineon HPDE in Nor Cal summer and they do get soft. I'd call them passable, but haters will say they are slick as ice. I think they are ok in the spring and fall temps in this part of the country.
I am listening.

I think another benifit may be unsprung weight. those ls brakes must weigh a lot more than tt. am i right? and i wonder what the difference is between sc300 - sc400 - tt - ls400 as far as weight goes.

anyone got the weights? I can weight a set of sc400 rotors and calipers. I have them sitting in my garage.
Old 03-07-09, 03:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

LS calipers are even lighter than the OEM SC3 and Supra TT. They weight about 9lbs each where the OEM weighs maybe 14-ish pounds.
Old 03-07-09, 05:06 PM
drewdizzle
Pole Position

ok I guess i am still leaning towards ls brakes. thanks for the weight specs.
Old 03-07-09, 09:08 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I am not knocking the LS rotors. They are a substantial upgrade from the stock SC and will certainly serve you well if you go that route.

No one has ever posted the weight of the LS rotors. I've seen it written that they are heavier than the TT Rotors, somewhat offsetting the caliper difference and adding to rotational weight. I searched all my usual haunts, here, S.F, Intellexual.net but don't see the weights of the LS rotors anywhere.

Does anyone have that number they can vouch for?

Quick Reply: Race brakes lots of questions???