Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS + TRAC Finaly removed! *pics*(56K put the gun down)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-09, 11:24 AM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id like to drop the ABS TRAC and cruise from my car, then get real brave and lose the sunroof. I think then it would be more of a sports car less of a luxury car, which is what I want. Just have to get the nerve and the time to do it. Thanks for paving the way, is your trac light on?
Old 03-28-09, 12:46 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the trac light WAS on, but if the car is missing trac and abs ,I figured it should be missing the bulbs too

Old 03-28-09, 09:07 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

i was upset when i discovered my soarer did not have abs or traction control...and here you are removing it...

But I guess you really dont need it

I drove a 1jz-5sp soarer with no trac or abs all Canadian winter long without issues...
Old 03-29-09, 09:03 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when you remove the ABS wont you get the ABS light on the cluster ?? My car didnt bring TRAC but it does have ABS and I hate it i would like to eliminate it as well nice job man
Old 03-29-09, 10:05 AM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I wouldnt want to pull my guage cluster just to put out a light, wouldnt be to good to come up with a nice black sticker over the light.
Old 03-30-09, 07:16 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by over40driv
wouldnt be to good to come up with a nice black sticker over the light.
huh? by "to" do you mean "too"....

so you would rather have a sticker on your cluster that can be blatantly seen by all including god himself, rather then take 15mins and do the job the "right" way?

k buddy
Old 03-31-09, 08:10 AM
pogoism9
Pole Position

you realize that if you rear end someone in that car your insurance company can refuse to pay for anything due to alterations to the brake system right? Specifically, they can cite that your ABS would have prevented the collision. If you want to split hairs, technically you are defrauding your insurance company. They are insuring a car that has ABS, when the car does not have ABS. I doubt anything would ever come of it, but still. Most people do not see the big picture when they do this kind of stuff.

I don't care who ya are, your foot isn't going to move faster than that pump...

Also, if you sell the car, you might want to disclose your modification. Once again, in some states, you can be held liable for selling a vehicle with safety equipment deleted if you do not disclose it to the buyer.

Last edited by pogoism9; 03-31-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-31-09, 10:27 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey can you get a better picture of how your lines are routed under the brake master please? im just trying to figure out what each goes. according to the schematic, the line at the very front the the brake master goes to the rear, is that correct?
Old 03-31-09, 02:14 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Thats correct. The first nut goes to the front , the last one goes to the back.I guess its the built in proportion valve that goes to the rear at the end of the master cylinder. I'l get better pics when the weather gets warmer.

The lines are very simple.One goes to the back as far as possible to make it simple ,and TEE anywhere theres a good place.Actualy its better to drop the rear crossmember and put the TEE where lines seperate originaly under the gas tank,but its too much work.But if you do that you wont have to flare the original lines, but replace them with new ones all the way to the rear calipers.

The front just routs to the front TEE and splits to front wheels. I routed the front line so it will be under the master cylinder ,to make some room for the dipsticks.So they all routed under master cylinder and then to the firewall ,instead of straight to firewall.
Old 03-31-09, 04:38 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Sorry about the grammer issues, I must have deleted my spell check. Well, i here what pogoism9 is saying about the ABS legal concerns, and I agree. Guess Ill have to go back to the sunroof delete obsession.
Old 03-31-09, 04:50 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Well i understand what he is saying, but i weighted my pros and cons before i did the delete. I dont have full coverage on my car, and if i hit someone in the back they wont cover my car anyway. Plus i can call them and tell them that my car doesnt have ABS and they will raise pennies. I'l keep you guys updated.

Oh and i'm not planning to sell this car anyway.....who would want to buy a 20 year old car? LOL .

лмпфшэеб

Last edited by LEX_MAN; 03-31-09 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-31-09, 06:44 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Part of my problem is I cant stay commited to this being a long term 5-10 yrs. car for me. So many diff. cars to own, so little time.
Old 11-07-10, 09:20 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but great article! I will be doing this soon as well. My question to you is, what lines did you buy? The Tee's you said were from a 93-96 Corolla, but what about the lines? Or did you just buy straight lines and bend them yourself?

I'm excited to get that bulky mess out of the engine bay
Old 11-07-10, 10:06 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

You can buy the straight lines from Autozone in different lengths.The tees are from 93-96 corolla. You can rent a bending tool from autozone too, and bend the lines yourself. Heck some places you can bend the lines with your hands, its not that bad.

I drove it now for over a year and have no problems, even upgraded brakes to BBK and loving it.
Old 11-07-10, 10:09 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Cool thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: ABS + TRAC Finaly removed! *pics*(56K put the gun down)