Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noise in the Fronts.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 12:25 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_0-Rx3FPX4

The noise is somewhat like that but much less noticeable and much quieter than that and not loud like that. Comparing the noise in the video, 10 is loudest my car is probally 2-3 rating. It's that small. The noise is noticeable at very low speeds, 15 mph - less when going over bumps like in that video. I just had my KYBs installed like 6k ago. What you guys think?
Old 03-15-09, 10:57 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Help? Anyone? .
Old 03-17-09, 07:31 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Anyone?? .
Old 03-17-09, 10:21 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cricket noise sounds like the sway bar bushing need greasing. The clunking noise I get seems more pronounced when cold that is what makes me wonder if it is the struts. I will be installing the new caster/stabilizer arms this weekend. FYI the invoice from Carson Toyota calls them Lower Arms. $234.00 with shipping for both. I doubt this is causing any noises but time will tell.
Old 03-18-09, 07:14 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Yes! It's called "The Infamous Cricket Noise". WHY is it making that NOISE?! How can I FIX IT?
Old 03-18-09, 10:27 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

When I put the caster/stabilizer arms on which by the way Toyota/Lexus call "lower arm" this weekend I am going to tighten the Lower control arm, upper control arm and K-frame nuts. I see no evidence of movement but what the heck it only takes a minute to check the torque.
Old 03-19-09, 03:49 PM
War Eagle!
Driver School Candidate

It sounds like a bushing. Either a control arm bushing or the sway bar. I would put some silicone grease on them.
Old 03-21-09, 10:27 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Installed the lower arms. There seems to be a nameage problem here. Some are calling it a caster arm and others are calling it a stabilizer bar. But according to Lexus/Toyota the arm with the big bushing that bolts up to the lower control arm with two bolts is called the "lower arm". I replaced those and the LBJ's to get rid of the noise in my front end. I believe the noise I was hearing was from the sway bar mounting brackets. There are four bolts that hold the sway bar in place and in my case all were somewhat loose. I also tightened all the upper control arm nuts and the LCA bolts. Replaced the steering rack bushings with the Daizen bushings and all noise is gone.
Old 03-27-09, 09:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by geargrindr
Installed the lower arms. There seems to be a nameage problem here. Some are calling it a caster arm and others are calling it a stabilizer bar. But according to Lexus/Toyota the arm with the big bushing that bolts up to the lower control arm with two bolts is called the "lower arm". I replaced those and the LBJ's to get rid of the noise in my front end. I believe the noise I was hearing was from the sway bar mounting brackets. There are four bolts that hold the sway bar in place and in my case all were somewhat loose. I also tightened all the upper control arm nuts and the LCA bolts. Replaced the steering rack bushings with the Daizen bushings and all noise is gone.

I need to look into those areas. Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-08-09, 09:48 PM
geargrindr
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I am a little late posting this but my front end noises are gone. After replacing the LBJ's because of so many postings and seeing that there was nothing wrong with them, I replaced the lower arm's. Those are the S shaped arms that bolt to the LWC Arms and attach to the body via. a stud. The rubber bushings had tears in the rubber on one side maybe an inch long. I do not believe that was the cause of the noise though. What I believe the noise I was hearing came from the front stabilizer bar mounting brackets. There are four bolts on each side holding the brackets to the frame rails and some of them were loose. While I was at it I tightened everthing in sight. Control arm Bolts, BJ bolts, caliper bolts, strut bolts and anything else in sigh. Put a cheater bar on that 1/2" flex handle and get to work. ;-)
Old 04-21-09, 04:20 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Checked sway bar. They are not loose. So, that's not the case. =\ Anyone else?
Old 04-21-09, 05:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm going to take another stab at it. Check your shock's lower bushing. I know you said you just installed them 6k miles ago, but 6k is enough time for the rubber to deteriorate. The wear isn't due to time, but rather the from installation. If you had your shocks installed without resetting the bushings, you're twisting the rubber around and eventually it'll rip apart. It looks like your car is low so that makes it even worse.

You can also take out the shock/spring assembly and move the hub up and down to make sure it's not the UCA and LCA bushings.
Old 04-29-09, 10:22 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you check the control arm bushings and the castor arm bushing they seem to go out quick in our cars thats why i upgrade to daizens
Old 04-29-09, 10:24 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry didn't see the post its the castor arms your referring too
Old 04-30-09, 12:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sam430
That's not enough info... you shocks could all be dead. You can't really do the bounce test on these lexus.
Shocks are new if you read the top.

Quick Reply: Noise in the Fronts.