Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport spring and struts - Who has them? Who likes them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 01:29 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport spring and struts - Who has them? Who likes them?

So, i got my 08 with the F-Sport springs and struts. I think the car rides like ***** as comapred to stock. I went to the dealer adn complained and they say the fact that I have the suspension and the car is running the F-Sport wheels on 35 series tires make for a "rough" ride.

That is an understatment. The car rides like it on bricks. When I hit uneven pavement the rear of the car seems to "kick" up and bounce. I feel like I am all over the road, as compared to stock X package.

Any tips or hints? Is anyone having these issues?

I am seriously thinknig of swapping out the lowered suspension for someones factory X-Package just to have a smooth riding car. I wonder if the stealership still has the factory crap....
Old 03-12-09, 01:56 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not supposed to ride as soft as stock. The whole point of a upgraded suspension is to have a stiffer, more "controlled" ride. Pair that with thin tires like the 35mm, you'll have an extra bumpy ride.

That's one thing people ALWAYS ask about: Can I have a ride as smooth as stock while lowering it?

The answer is almost always no.
Old 03-12-09, 01:57 PM
Ryoma111
Driver

nicholasg-

The whole point was to stiffen the ride (i.e. decrease ride quality) in order to gain performance over the "Lexus comfort" to a certain degree... I will agree that the ride is noticeably different, but the diminished body roll on corners more than makes up for the "rough" ride. Lets be reasonable... did you really think that the ride was going to be as good as before the upgrades? I know there will be people on the forum more than willing to trade for your upgrades... and besides... if the ride is really that bad... maybe consider a smoother route to get around town

-Ryoma
Old 03-12-09, 02:01 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Look, I used to own 911 Carerra that rode smoother than this suspension and if you have ever owned a Porsche before, youll know they arent the best for a daily driver. This is not a "sport tuned" suspension. Its springs and struts. The same crap you can buy for your 1993 Honda Civic, and surprise... I bet the Civic would ride BETTER....

I honestly dont see how lowering the car a little bit and matching struts with progressive rate springs would yield such a terrible ride unless they didnt do any testing before releasing these parts.

Furthermore, who has coilovers here and do your coilovers ridelike this?
Old 03-12-09, 02:37 PM
IS-J
Lead Lap

Bro then whoever installed your stuff F'ed you over. Cause I have the same setup and the ride is perfect. I would take it to another shop and see what they say... Let me know
Old 03-12-09, 02:50 PM
Ryoma111
Driver

Although I have never owned a Porsche, if I remember correctly Bilstein makes the f-sport springs and shocks, which they say are used in cars like Porsche and BMWs... don't take my comments to be offensive, it's just making comments like "riding on bricks rubs people the wrong way"... and if you think civics ride better than lexus' do, maybe visiting the honda forums would be your best bet for better opinions on springs and shocks... or maybe switching to coilovers would be better for you, but from reading others' reviews, they ride a little stiffer than our modest f-sport suspension upgrades...

-Ryoma
Old 03-12-09, 02:50 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicholasg
Look, I used to own 911 Carerra that rode smoother than this suspension and if you have ever owned a Porsche before, youll know they arent the best for a daily driver. This is not a "sport tuned" suspension. Its springs and struts. The same crap you can buy for your 1993 Honda Civic, and surprise... I bet the Civic would ride BETTER....

I honestly dont see how lowering the car a little bit and matching struts with progressive rate springs would yield such a terrible ride unless they didnt do any testing before releasing these parts.

Furthermore, who has coilovers here and do your coilovers ridelike this?
You are on stock 18" wheels and tires I assume. Yes the ride with OEM sports/x package is pretty nice.
Old 03-12-09, 02:59 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

If you think the F-Sport springs and shocks are too rough, then simply put they are not for you. Different people have different opinions on what "good" feels like. To me, the stock 2IS suspension felt too loose and flabby. The F-Sport parts cleaned that up reasonably well to the point where I feel that this is how the car should have come straight out of the factory.

Although I do agree that on rougher roads at times the car is a bit bouncy.
Old 03-12-09, 03:01 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-SV
You are on stock 18" wheels and tires I assume. Yes the ride with OEM sports/x package is pretty nice.
Volks Progressiv 19X8.5+35F & 19X9.5+45R
w/235/35/19F & 275/35/19R is my combo.

I also have the F-Sport wheels as well with w/225/35/19F & 255/35/19R tires.

With either set, the car rides rough.
Old 03-12-09, 03:02 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

He posted that he's on the 19" F-Sport wheels...
Old 03-12-09, 03:03 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by triple_c
If you think the F-Sport springs and shocks are too rough, then simply put they are not for you. Different people have different opinions on what "good" feels like. To me, the stock 2IS suspension felt too loose and flabby. The F-Sport parts cleaned that up reasonably well to the point where I feel that this is how the car should have come straight out of the factory.

Although I do agree that on rougher roads at times the car is a bit bouncy.
Its the bouncy that I dont like. I literally feel liek the rear end "kicks" up at times. Ive never had any car act in such a manner. It almost feels like when you take a truck our four wheeling and the leaf springs bouch back when they get compressed to hard.
Old 03-12-09, 03:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nicholasg
Volks Progressiv 19X8.5+35F & 19X9.5+45R
w/235/35/19F & 275/35/19R is my combo.

I also have the F-Sport wheels as well with w/225/35/19F & 255/35/19R tires.

With either set, the car rides rough.
I see and you had the 19" setup with OEM x-pkg suspension and the ride was still good I assume...
Old 03-12-09, 03:08 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How long have you had them?
Old 03-12-09, 03:10 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

Yup, I know that feeling. Almost like if you take certain bumps too fast you'll flip off the road. That's mostly due to the rear suspension being hella stiffer than the front.

There's really not much you can do about it, other than switch to coilovers or change back to stock suspension.
Old 03-12-09, 03:10 PM
nicholasg
Pole Position

I see and you had the 19" setup with OEM x-pkg suspension and the ride was still good I assume...
I never had the factory suspension or wheels. I traded in my pearl white IS for this one, it was already fully equipped.

Quick Reply: F-Sport spring and struts - Who has them? Who likes them?