Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Are Tokico the most comfortable

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 02:17 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheMole
If you were local I would let you ride in my car to see how the ride quality is. Maybe a local CL member can do that for you.

OEM is the way to go if you want pure comfort. Get the 97 rears as they are roughly $60/each and the fronts are roughly $120/each. Total with shipping and applicable taxes would probably make it a little over $400. Not sure how much KYB GR2 and Tokico HP go for nowadays, but see if you can justify the extra cost for the OEM set. Installation is also key so the shock is fully utilized and not riding on the rubber bushing, but thats another topic.
The cheapest I could find the fronts for was $160ea and the rears $120ea each...........where are you looking i need to know lol? The Tokico and Kyb's are going for $280 for all 4, which is not to bad.

My goal is to get the SC as close to stock comfort as possible without going crazy financially thats why I was thinking of keeping stock springs.

Ok you touched on it so now you have to explain this comment lol "Installation is also key so the shock is fully utilized and not riding on the rubber bushing, but thats another topic."

Please elaborate?
Old 03-14-09, 02:29 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About the installation comment, just make sure to put some pressure on the suspension before you tighten all the mounting bolts to spec.

Here are the shock prices:
Fronts
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...17&catalogid=2
Rears
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=6&catalogid=2
Old 03-14-09, 02:39 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMole
About the installation comment, just make sure to put some pressure on the suspension before you tighten all the mounting bolts to spec.

Here are the shock prices:
Fronts
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...17&catalogid=2
Rears
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=6&catalogid=2
WOW, thats awesome thank you, it comes to $404 with shipping............damn shipping costs lol. So its pretty much $300 for aftermarket and $400 for factory, I now have to decide what to do here.

So its going to be about $850 for LCA (supra) and OEM struts......not bad.

So before I torque the mounts I should take the car off the stands then tighten the bolts?
Old 03-14-09, 07:09 AM
Emackny
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kanderson
I was thinking of going with the Eibach Pro Kit and KYB GR2's. Anyone have any experience with that setup. I want to lower a little without being to much of a problem with clearance. Also don't want to get beat to death.
I have the Eibach/Tokico blue set up on my SC and it feels great. Personally.. I will never buy KYBs again. I got them for my GS to handle a 2" drop. They were way too soft. kept blowing them. I took them out and got bilstein Sport (Not a better shock out there).
Old 03-14-09, 08:25 AM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest looking on supra forums for people selling their used sets. Thats how I got mine and I was able to get the shocks and Eibach springs for $250.
Old 03-14-09, 12:26 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte

So before I torque the mounts I should take the car off the stands then tighten the bolts?
Yea I removed the jack/stands and gave each corner a few bounces. Then I drove the car up a pair of ramps and tightened the lower mounting bolts to I think 106 ft/lbs.
Old 03-14-09, 01:39 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by captainsc
I suggest looking on supra forums for people selling their used sets. Thats how I got mine and I was able to get the shocks and Eibach springs for $250.

How many miles were on them? I know I'm the odd man out here, but honestly I really dont care to much about lowering the car, I just want comfort and I'm hoping to keep the stock springs and achieve that. The only way I will change the springs is if I can get a deal like listed above.

Mole: Did you replace your mounts as well? I'm thinking with a just about 180k I should replace them.
Old 03-14-09, 01:52 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the suspension being for sale on supraforums is either less than 100k miles or are brand new. Also most of the prices are around 250 to 350 so not that expensive and you will get a better ride quality than SC OEM suspension hands down.
Old 03-14-09, 01:59 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
Most of the suspension being for sale on supraforums is either less than 100k miles or are brand new. Also most of the prices are around 250 to 350 so not that expensive and you will get a better ride quality than SC OEM suspension hands down.
Why do you say that it would be better ride quality than OEM?
Old 03-14-09, 02:50 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

To me....an this IMO but the stock ride quality was way to bouncy if you know what I mean. If you hit a bump in the rode the whole car wobbled up and down. With Supra suspension that never happens. The car will stick to the ground and not want to bounce up in the air. There is hardly any body roll and there is no more bouncing up and down.
Old 03-14-09, 03:12 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
To me....an this IMO but the stock ride quality was way to bouncy if you know what I mean. If you hit a bump in the rode the whole car wobbled up and down. With Supra suspension that never happens. The car will stick to the ground and not want to bounce up in the air. There is hardly any body roll and there is no more bouncing up and down.
See when I hit a bump all you hear is THUD and there is no bounce, just your head from hitting the bump............that cant be good huh lol?

I wish I knew what the ride quality was with the SC when it was newer.
Old 03-14-09, 05:10 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds liek your shocks are blown.
Old 03-14-09, 05:15 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by captainsc
Sounds liek your shocks are blown.
lol yeah thats what I thought and I know my control arm bushings are bad so that must be causing issues as well.
Old 03-14-09, 10:51 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Yea that's not how my OEM suspension felt when I had it. Definately want to upgrade the suspension as soon as you can.
Old 03-14-09, 11:01 PM
DrLex
Driver

I picked up an SC3 with tokico blue on stock springs.

I actually didn't know it was on there, I assumed it was stock. The rear is perfect IMO, but the fronts are either too soft or blown.

Since my rear is fine, I might put a supra set on just the front and see if I can get some of the tightness back.

I too just want a firm comfortable ride, no canyon carving here, it's just my daily.

Quick Reply: Are Tokico the most comfortable